Novice training log - 2 years to bench a truck!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Martial novice, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

Ok, so general advice seems to be that logs are good for motivation, showing progress, and giving the big kids a bit of a laugh.

I'm just starting on Rippetoe's starting strength - building up Monday and Wednesday, getting into the new heavyweight diet. Weight scoring starts today.

[And no, the title isn't literal, but studies show positive thinking works, so I'm self-editing from 'be less scrawny')

Today's workout:
    squats: warmup - bar (20k) 1x5, +20kg 1x5, +30kg 1x3
    working sets: bar + 40kg 3x5
    press: warmup - bar (20kg) 1x5
    working sets: bar + 10kg 3x5
    deadlift: warmup - bar (10kg) + 10kg 1x5, +20kg 1x5, +30kg 1x3
    working sets: bar + 40kg 1x5
    chinups: 3 sets to failure - 4,4,2

Squats went well. Monday was the first time doing free-weight squats, so I was pleased with the weight. My shoulders kill from lack of flexibility. Doing daily 'shoulder dislocations' to improve this.

Press was a bit of a nightmare. First time doing it free weight (on Monday I accidentally did bench press instead of overhead press). Shoulder flexibility isn't helping, but mainly it's the weight. I never liked this on machines, and towards the end I was arching back. I think next press I will keep the weight, but aiming for perfect form before going up.

Deadlift seemed ok. Reading a lot about good form for all three exercises has really helped, so reasonably confident. I know deadlift should be a larger lift and this seems conservative, so hoping for nice gains over the next 2-3 months on this one.

I'll try to update the working set numbers at regular intervals to track my own progress.

Oh, and just to judge myself a little more. Currently 6'2 and according to our home scales, 84kg, or 13 1/4 stone.

2. Great!
    Rule number one of training:

DO NO HARM! :)
    Don't go lifting your way to hospital!

Good form cannot really be learned in a book or magazine... get someone to help you out, and take your bloody time, this is not a race!
    The mass you lift doesn't matter a bit at this stage; like the length of your peewee doesn't matter in the gym!

Osu!

3. Martial novice

Ok, so today was the first time measuring the B workout.

Started with bench press as squat rack was busy

Following last Wednesday's unofficial unrecorded attempt, worked my way up the warmups to a
    bench press:
    working sets: bar (20kg) + 30 kg 3x5

Was very pleased with form. Felt I had good control, but really pushing by the last rep.

Squat. Worked through warmup. Again, about 3 weight levels.
    working sets: bar (20kg) + 50kg 3x5

Was very pleased with myself for not using the foam pad. Shoulders still kill from the flexibility issue - first set was the worst, but placing the bar where traps will be in 6 months means I'm on my way to squatting like a pro!

Almost failed the last rep on the second working set, but recovered for a good last set. Suspect the next increase will be tough.

Cleans: first time recording the weight. Again, 3 warm up sets
    working sets: bar (20kg) + 30kg 5x3

Sadly had to leave before doing as much stretching as I'd like - went nearer closing time to have less competition for the free weights (Mondays is always busiest). But in good news got back for massive super protein hih calorie dinner cooked and ready. Jackpot!

Back to workout A on Wednesday, for the first recorded increase? Hope so.

4. Martial novice

Workout A, working sets today:

Squats: bar (20kg) + 55kg 3x5 (Feels like progress!!)
    Overhead press: bar (20kg) + 10kg 3x5 (with good form - weight goes up next time)
    Deadlift: bar (20kg) + 50kg 1x5 (pleased with the weight, but some strain on lower back on last 2 reps. Either tiny increase or none next time)
    Chinups: 3 to failure - 5,5,4 (definite progress - like it!)

Let the recovery commence (eating and sleeping = win)

5. Martial novice

So, the forces conspired against me last night. We have guests staying so I had to be sociable and not just eat between work (late finish. gah) and gym.

Then...only squat rack in there was mercilessly hogged by two guys who were alternating on it for the entire time I was in the gym. Thanks.

So, went straight into cleans then bench press and called it a shorter session.

Working sets:
    Cleans: bar (10kg) + 40 kg 5x3
    Bench press: bar (20kg) + 40kg 3 x (5,4,3)

Clearly that jump was testing, so I'll stick there next time and finish all sets.

Also go to the gym on Sunday to have more chance of getting a squat rack and making the most of the two day recovery through to Wednesday.

Back to eating...

6. Martial novice

Note to self: Sundays are MUCH better for training - gym is quiet and lots more energy.

Working sets:
    squats: bar (20) + 57.5kg 3x5
    overhead press: bar (20) + 15kg 3x5
    deadlift: bar (20) + 55kg 1x5

chinups? DAMMIT! Forgot

But...very good long stretch out session.

Wonders about tagging chinups on this week's Wednesday session.

7. Martial novice

Wednesday night

Workout B
    working sets:
    Power cleans - bar (10) + 45kg 5x3
    Squats - bar (20) + 60kg 3x5 (I am a golden god!)
    Bench - bar (20) + 40kg 2x5,1x4 (so close)

Did the cleans first as squat rack was busy. Just about lifted but think I was getting sloppy at the end. Squats were amazing. Never thought I'd do it, but the programme works. So very nearly had the new weight on the bench press - Sunday will definitely do it.

Starting strength is amazing overall though - 3 weeks and free weights are developing things like forearms that I always ignored, plus I'm forcing myself to push the weights up. Just got to keep it up and eat enough.

Left shoulder hurt today though. Not sure what caused it, but hope all better for tomorrow's session.

8. Martial novice

Friday night

Workout A
    working sets
    Squats - bar (20) + 62.5 3x5
    Overhead press - bar (20) + 17.5 3x5
    Deadlift - bar (20) + 60 1x5
    Chinups - 3x(5,3,4)

Very pleased squat keeps increasing.
    Overhead press was a struggle as shoulder still sore. Leaning back slightly, stay the same weight for the next one.
    Deadlift ok
    Disappointed with chinups. It seems much easier to push myself with the weight increases. Motivation was always a problem! Did check my weight when I got back though in case that was in my favour. Dodgy home scales show 86kg. Pretty big for a geek!

Roll on sleepy Saturday

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

chin ups will come with practice! One of the disadvantages of bodyweight exercises is that it is much more difficult to gradually increase the weight moved, whereas with barbell exercises you don't have to add 20kg each session, you can add much smaller weight increments and allow yourself to adapt to the smaller increases.

Try doing a static hold at the top position of your chin ups, it can help with progress.

If your shoulder is causing you problems, then it might be worthwhile dropping the pressing stuff for a week or so.

10. Martial novice

How dare you...! :woo:

I knew I should have put a no girls allowed sign up :evil:

It was less sore today than Thursday rest day though, so hopefully I tweaked it and it's on the mend.

Cheers for the chinup suggestion though. What annoyed me was that my total count fell. Although today I was using a different frame and was having to full stretch to the grips to start (so maybe just cheating less?)

I like the idea of static hold at the top. Will try it next time.

11. Frodocious

CHEEK! :ban: ;) :D

Well you know how paranoid I am about shoulders! Get some ice on it and work on your pulling movements until it's fully healed.

Some days you just find you feel weak with certain exercises, you might find next session you're much better with your chins, however, if you've had to stretch to the frame this session, you might having been doing them with a fuller range of motion, which would explain why you had more trouble with the movement.

12. Martial novice

Sunday Workout B

Working sets:
    Squat: bar (20) + 65kg 3x5 (that's bodyweight. yay)
    Bench: bar (20) + 40kg 3x5 (finally!)
    Clean: bar (20) + 37.5kg 5x3 (redid the 4th set as I didn't rest long enough after 3 and failed at 2 reps).

Good stretching. Might also take a hot bath.

13. Martial novice

Wednesday Workout A

Working sets:
    Overhead press: bar (20) + 17.5kg 3x5 (much better form)
    Squat: bar (20) + 67.5kg 3x5
    Deadlift: bar (20) + 65kg 1x5
    Chinups: 3x(6,4,4) (back on the lower bar, so smaller ROM)

Still very impressed that the weight can go up. Increase the overhead press next time.

14. Martial novice

Friday Workout B

Working sets:
    Squat: bar (20) + 50kg 3x5 (very pleased, and like round numbers!)
    Bench: bar (20) + 42.5kg 3x[5,5,4] (good effort at new weight, hopefully 3x5 next time)
    Power clean: bar (10) + 50kg 5x[2,1,1,1,0] (Terrible! What happened? Don't know, was tired, and this was the smallest increase possible with the weight available, but that was appalling. Should I re-do the old weight next time or try this again? hmmmm

15. Martial novice

Correction to last Post - noticed after it was too late to edit: squat weight should be bar + 70kg, I took off the bar weight twice.

Sunday Workout A

Working sets:
    Overhead press: bar (40kg) 3x5 (bending back on the last set, same weight next time)
    Squat: bar (20) + 72.5kg 3x5 (only just. form starting to go. same weight on Weds)
    Deadlift: bar (20) + 70kg 1x5 (pleased with progress. really felt the weight today)
    Chinups: 3x[5,3,3] (larger ROM again. held a failed 4th rep on the final set for 5 seconds)

Good long stretching session.

16. Martial novice

Not a very satisfying workout today.

Wednesday Workout B

Working sets:
    Squat: bar (20) + 72.5kg 3x5 (Just about. Not looking forward to the next weight)
    Bench: bar (20) +42.5kg 3x5 (hit all three sets quite clean - best exercise today)
    Cleans: bar (10) + 45kg 5x3 (after Sunday's appalling efforts, I've gone down in weight - built up again, but worry that I'm basically squatting the weight up quickly with leg power. Should I do Pendlay rows???? Don't know. See if we can climb the weight up, but not happy at all)

Ok if short stretch session after.

17. Frodocious

18. Martial novice

Thanks Frodo. Not checked the link yet, but definitely will.
    Scribbling today's scores while fresh in the mind.

Friday Workout A

Squat: bar (20) +75kg 3x5
    Overhead: bar (40kg) 3x5 (again only just)
    Deadlift: bar (20) +75kg 1x5
    Chinups: 3x[5,4,4] (larger ROM again, some holding on the last rep)

Felt very tired today and not very motivated during the workout, but the 5kg jump for deadlifts was satisfying.

19. Martial novice

Sunday Workout B

Squat: bar (20) +77.5kg 3x[5,4,4] (first squat I haven't made. Pressure's on)
    Bench: bar (20) +45kg 3x[5,3,4] (same weight next time - the usual bench buildup)
    Cleans: Thanks to Frodo's video, I started cleans almost from scratch, learning to squat clean as well as power clean. Realised my technique had been horrible. Worked at:
    bar (10) +30kg 5x3.

Good stretching session.
    I think I'm now at risk of simply pushing up the numbers and wrecking my form on most movements, so maybe use better judgement over the next couple of weeks for slower, but better gains.

20. Martial novice

Wednesday Wokout A

Overhead Press: bar (10) +30kg 3x5 (finally happy with form at that weight)
    Squat: bar (20) +77.5kg 3x[5,5,1]
    Deadlift: bar (10) +90kg 1x5
    Chinups: 3x[4,5,4]

Started with overhead press as squat rack was busy. Pleased with the weight. Ended up jumping in with someone else for squats. They pointed out I'm pushing through my knees and toes, coming too far forward. I thought something was going wrong as the weight went up, but not sure what - this seems a good explanation. By my last set 2 other guys were sharing the rack so after one poor rep I decided to leave it. Will use a quieter day to address my form. Deadlift was awesome - that's 100kg working weight. Chinups just don't get better. Such is life.

Felt good for powering through set 2 of the squats though. There was a definite give up point that without the programme I would have said...oh well, not today (and maybe that's the problem with chinups?)