Not going to get Chavez vs. Golovkin now

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, May 21, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I had a feeling that Chavez would try to find a way out of that fight. He claims it's due to money. Apparently he was "guaranteed" 17 million for his next 2 fights and if he were to have lost to GGG, then he still had a guarantee of 15 million. arum promotes him as well though so who knows what's really going on. From my own opinion (yes I have one :) ) I think that Chavez knew he was in for a beating and just wanted to get out of the fight... then again, I really don't like Chavez and feel he's very overrated. Daddy's name has gotten him mostly where he is.

I don't know why I can't copy and paste the article, but here's the link if anyone was interested.

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/DHB/Tibbs-052014.htm

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Didn't know he (GGG) was set to fight Chavez, jr. Just knew he was to be fighting 2 July in New York.

AFAIK there is no opponent to be found for him.

I find it odd that the dates/locations for these fellows are set long before a suitable opponent is found. Same with Floyd in Sept. Seems to be putting the cart before the horse, but I gather that's the way things work.

As far as Golovkin goes, I find him to be one of the more compelling fighters - both in skill and personal traits. Very statesman like and has a bit of that veneer of the mysterious.

Ive heard he has a hard time finding good fights - which is a shame. Would love to see him but apparently no one wants to fight him. Even Sergio doesn't want it, even with HBO willing to bankroll the thing.

Hate it. Such a waste of talent. :mad:

I know you don't care for MMA per se, but that is at least one benefit that having the fighters under a single umbrella organisation such as the UFC brings. Mayweather-Pacquia would've been done years ago when it mattered, Golovkin would be a major star with instant name/face recognition here in the States, etc.

Of course, there is still a type of "cherry-picking" that goes on and there is a lot of confusion as to what the rankings really mean, but all in all, boxing would be a much more honest, transparent sport if it were structured similar to the UFC.

There is a lot of room for argument there and that DOES NOT APPLY to the amateurs where boxing has a far, far superior system than MMA, IMHO.

3. Saved_in_Blood

I believe Golovkin had signed the contract, but Chavez was holding out on it. He finally decided he didn't want the fight. I don't think Sergio is ducking Golovkin at all though, I actually feel like if his legs turn out to be ok in the Cotto fight and assuming he wins he could give Golovkin a lot of problems because of his movement... Cotto, however isn't going to lay down and one win or lose I think Martinez' body is going to be sore for a few weeks after June 7th

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Yes, I didn't consider that. It would be a bit close after the Cotto fight to have one with Golovkin 3 weeks later, lol.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah, that and Sergio as admitted that this could be his last fight depending on how he feels, how the fight goes, etc. However, it would be easy to get him into the ring if say Cotto does very well (but loses) and Floyd sees weaknesses in Martinez. Offer him 4 or 5 million and you've got Floyd in a position to win yet another title at 160.... maybe, I'd like to see it, but I'd like to have seen it with a healthier Sergio.

Word is that even with the body shield that Cotto is making Roach pee blood with his body shots. Cotto wasn't aware of that lol. Just saw it on a transcript.