Not a What is better thread (at least I hope not)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hobbitlauncher, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Hobbitlauncher

Hobbitlauncher Chronic Complaint Dept.

Hey guys, I post on here once in aw hile (as you might know, whether that be good or bad) and I've got a bit of a background in Tae Kwon Do (WTF). I really have been itching to get into some others (especially FMA, Silat, muaty thai, and a couple others) but being as schools in the midwest are in short supply (location isn't really pertinent to my question, but nevertheless it wouldn't hurt) I was wondering if anyone had some MA suggestions based on the following (note: I do NOT want to take BJJ.. just.. no)

1) I've done TKD and tons of Soccer and have well developed legs, something with useful realistic kick would definitely benefit me for my physical setup.
    2) I'm a huge fan of traps/locks/breaks (and to a much lesser extent throws have fascinated me)
    3) something with some decent striking ability because obviously there isn't a kick that works in every situation, and (in my experience) striking is for those quick precise strikes.

now, keeping those in mind, what are some good styles for me to look into? PLEASE DO NOT START BASHING AND/OR DERAILING THIS into "this ma is better than this one" thread. Also if anyone has any knowledge of any schools relating to aforementioned styles in the LaCrosse Wisconsin USA area that would be an added bonus!

thanks for the time and effort, and keep up the MAPping!

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

erm......hapkido maybe?, from what i hear it seems to fit at least moderately into those categories.

if i'm wrong please correct me :p

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

fma, silat, and muay thai are good choices. look into them.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

right mate...
    what you want is some proper Brazillain Jiu Jutsu! :D

5. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

JKD (mix in some of what you know with something new, you might have a more JJ style instructor whom teaches locks, or wing chun, i'm not a modern jkd expert for style, since it is to be style of the individual)

you might want to cross train. for low kicks (not fun fancy ones) with good defense and fighting, i would take wing chun since it has a shorter learning period (5-7 years) to master the 3 hand forms, 2 weapons form and a hands form.

at the same time, you might want ot take something for groundwork, locks ect to cross train in such as bjj or jj, or maybe even a jkd school.

you should also have one of these have sparring so you can practice what you learn :)

thats just an idea.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Have you looked at this place? http://www.sageartsstudio.com/index.html

Yeah, they have BJJ. But they've also got kali (FMA).

EDIT: Or this one.

Blue Wave Holistic Self-defense
    Eskrima Kali Arnis, Aiki-Budo, Reiki
    Lacrosse, Wi.
    608-385-5338
    Senior Instructor
    3rd Dan Jeffrey Halverson
    bluewave@poetic.com

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  7. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

You are such a bad man

8. Hobbitlauncher

nice find on those two, the sagearts is on the opposite corner of the state though, I'll have to dig around and find a website for the Blue Wave one. (oh how I hate the lack of lots of choices in the midwest though, I need to move when I graduate)

stj: thanks for that, major help rofl

everyone else: thanks for the suggestions :)

9. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I don't understand the objection to BJJ but what about Judo, Sambo, or Wrestling?

10. Hobbitlauncher

well, I'm just not big into wrestling or grappling arts, never been my forte. I'm not small by any means, nor am I a lumbering hulk of muscle. Even though I'm 6'2 and 191 lbs. I prefer to rely on my speed (and kicking ability, not to toot my own horn, but toot toot) rather than sheer strength... of course I would change my tune were that latest girl in MA Babes in a BJJ class I had an opportunity to enroll in

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you are aware right that BJJ was designed around the concept of a smaller guy beating a bigger stronger guy...

but anyway, ever heard of a phone book?

12. Hobbitlauncher

yeah, not in laCrosse yet, and the QwestDex and stuff don't have much listed, the few I found had websites that hadnt been updated in years. and yeah I know that about BJJ, I just don't like wrestling/grappling and was scrabbling for an excuse (plus there's always someone who comes into every thread shouting about BJJ lol)

13. Slindsay

HAve you actually tried grappling before or do you just not like the look of it? I can promise you that a benefit of any grappling art is that it's enormously good fun.

14. Hobbitlauncher

I've done a bit of wrestling in school, i can't really get more descriptive than it just didn't strike me as all that fun. I may give it a go sometime in the future, but for now it's a no and it's part of the limitations placed on my question, 'nuff said.

edit: a good way to think of it is the way all my school friends used to try and get me to quit soccer and play football... sure it's great fun for them which is why they can't understand that from my point of view, it just ain't that big of a deal. To each their own imo.

15. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

Hmm sorry can't help you much, but I can say look for a good Wing Chun or Escrima school, but if you were closer to my part of the midwest I could help you quite a bit more.

16. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Are you really really sure that you don't want to spend your evenings tucked into some blokes sweaty armpit?

17. Slindsay

Where does this fear of physical contact come from? I'm really curious to know, me personally I enjoy all the cuddling when ground fighting, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

nothing gets the juices flowing like a bit of good old rumpy pumpy in some pyjamas with other grown men

19. Hobbitlauncher

rofl.. that's all i can say to that... rofl when i get back from retraining and get settled in at LaCrosse I'm going to give that blue wave group a jingle, see what I can turn up, best lead I've found so far. I've just been out of MA for a while and I've hated my time not spent in it, wish I had never stopped.. Urge to kiai rising!

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

oy! he said no grappling! respect the man's right to choose!

he wanted something like fma, muay thai/ muay boran, silat, bando, lethwei, or the other. let him choose for himself.

on the other hand, grappling is a range that i personally wouldn't neglect.