Not a new member but a new beginning...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by dredleviathan, Jan 16, 2004.

1. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi All,

I'm not a new member to MAP but I've been away from the forum for quite some time and I see that there are a hell of a lot of new people here now. Its been a real challenge trying to catch up on what has been going on here.

My departure from MAP last year was due to several slightly crappy events but mostly due to my company being acquired by another and what appears to be almost certain redundancy. My internet access has always been from work. I'm still looking for something new work wise so my access will be limited.

I was also stupid enough to tear two ligaments in my right ankle at about the same time and with the holidays and burden of work I have done very little training in the interim period. I'm still rehabilitating my ankle and getting regular physio but have been allowed back to training for the first time this week. So far only two stick clases as it is possible to keep footwork more linear (although not desirable for proper body mechanics). I'm hoping that I will get back to other classes in the next couple of weeks.

So the reason I am writing this post is to say hi to everyone and to state my goals for the forthcoming year in terms of my training.

1. Lack of aerobic training has left my 10kgs over my target weight. I'm aiming for 83kgs and the clock starts now! Need to establish a target date for this weight loss - what is a reasonable period of time?

2. I need to identify aerobic exercises that I can use whilst my ankle heals - so low impact. Currently I've only come up with swimming which I have begun 2 mornings per week. As the ankle heals I will begine using other gym-based CV machines and finally back to outdoor running sessions. Plan to use HIIT once I can as I had good results with it previously.

3. I will re-start a regular strength training routine concentrating (a la Yoda) on compound movements - Squat, deadlift, bench, pullups, shoulder press. Aiming for 2 full workouts per week.

4. I need to look at my nutrition too. Yodas idea for a high protein, low fat, moderate carbs diet seems most logical so I shall be seeking advice on how to actually set this up. No to Atkins!!

5. Flexibility - quite simply this now sucks. For the time-being I intend to add 3 early morning Yoga sessions per week as this will not only assist in the flexibility but also in reestablishinig proprioception (esp.. standing postures). I will also need some kind of dynamic stretching routine to develop more functional stretching programme for martial arts.

6. Martial training - hard decisions to make this year that will mostly depend upon eventual work patterns. I seem to be being pulled in all ways at the same time at the moment due to my interest in everything I hear about. I need to be more focused as I'm feeling a bit lost. Should I concentrate on grappling, striking or weaponry? Is my current training pattern the best way of improving generally or should I introduce some kind of phase training concentrating on particular areas more i.e. 3 months mostly Muay Thai, 3 months mostly Grappling, 3 months mostly FMA?

Any suggestions are of course welcome but this is mostly a statement of intent for my own purposes.

See you around the various forums!

Dred

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hey Dred,

Good to see you back! :D

As for the training I'd look at your current fitness and try to ease myself back into it. They all stress your body in different ways, I won't post what are IMO the harder overall, but I suggest you look at that for yourself. But as most people, your routine will be governed by your job :(

Take care mate,

Col

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Welcome back my friend :D

We missed ya!

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Hey welcome back to you dred..... and best of luck in achieving those goals... we're here for you!!:)

5. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Welcome Back to MAP!