Ninjutsu for Self Defence

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Emil, Jul 26, 2006.

1. jbc6

jbc6 Valued Member

I'd like to check out another school, but don't know where to start. A Brazilian Jujutsu school just opened. I'm going to check it out. Hey, that's a start. Any suggestions?

2. pmitch89

pmitch89 Thats Nucking Futs!!

Unless you just want to learn grappling and newaza, then I wouldn't suggest BJJ.

3. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Although, regular Jui Jutsu would be ok. So would things such as JKD, Systema, and Krav Maga. Just my opinion though.

4. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

A rule of thumb to follow is if they dont spar fullspeed and with decent contact at least once a week, then run away not just walk away. Dont listen to any ******** about it making your technique bad or not looking good. Also you dont need to wait years to spar. At max 2-3 months should be good enough. Anything else is crap!!

5. pmitch89

Trust me, sparring and real life situations are completely different. Sparring is set in a controlled enviroment, with rules and regulations (BJJ, Judo, MMA, TKD, ect), which there is nothing wrong with. In a real life situation anything goes, kicks to the groin, grabbing a beer bottle and smashing it over your head, ect.

There is nothing in this world that can fully prepare yourself for a real life situation, not even the most intense sparring can ever prepare you. There are a number of factors that also come into play in a real life situation:

Surroundings-bottles, chairs, anything that can be used as a weapon,or a possible escape

Emotions-you or your opponent may be so angry that you or him become sloppy and make mistakes

Size and Strength- if your opponent is 6'5 250 lb bouncer, then your gameplans gonna be different than if you fight someone your own size

Adrenaline- Could be your friend or your enemy

There are numerous other conditions that Sparring cannot offer. Which brings me to my conclusion...

SPARRING IS NOT BETTER THAN SIMPLE REPETITION OF TECHNIQUES, it all depends on numerous other variables involved in the situations. It may be wise just to escape (which Ninpo and Ninjutsu are very big on), instead of possibly risking your life in a brawl. Its always better to live to fight another day. :D

6. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Hmmm, I have to disagree with you there. Surely learning how to actually apply a technique is more important than just repeating it over and over again, in a controlled, and sometimes, rhythmic, way. Whilst sparring cannot fully prepare you for a fight, it is surely better than just repeating a tachnque, as you learn the many different ways to apply it.

7. pmitch89

Nuff said... :D,

but seriously. It is true that you need to learn a technique from everywhere, but repetition is what makes the technique almost a natural
    reaction.

For instance, in my judo class, we work kimuras from bottom position on a full guard, we incorporate this in with sit-ups, so whenever we are in this situation in competition, we know what to do.

Its good that you learn how to do the move, but repetition is what makes that move a natural feeling.

Sparring is not always a good thing in a self defense art such as Ninjutsu.
    Many of the self defense moves are similar to that of Hapkido or JJJ, its hard to spar with moves that breaks something when done properly. :D

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  8. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

Sorry cant trust you, I have done the ninjitsu thing. Did it for 8+ years. The only system worse than it for self defense is aikido.

I have fought on the matts, ring and street. They are more similiar than they are different. You dont know you can do a technique unless you can do it against a fully resisting partner who is not only resisting but trying to defeat you at the same time. Its ok to do reps to get technique down but its only step one to really knowing a technique.

The big problem with the x-kans are the ego's especially of the higher ranks. They wouldnt dare fight or compete because they are afraid of getting beaten. (And they probably would so I guess that is understandable). So they just do one demo after the other and all their brown nosing studenst just stand and watch in awe and tell them how good they move!

As regards dangerous technique there is usually a way to practice it safely. If you cant practice you cant know that it works other than relying on someone else opinion. How many top dogs of the bujinkan or other x-kans today have actually used these alleged deadly techniques for real?

9. pmitch89

What rank did you hold and in what X-kan? Did you happen to do any randori? I know one thing, we do some randori in my class. Randori counts as practice, along with repetition.

I can't say much about the ego of the higher ranking students (and how well they can fight), but I do know this, the techniques that are taught in Ninjutsu are worth something. Yes, the deadly techniques in Ninjutsu are very similar (if not the same) to Japanese Jujutsu, which Judo is based off of, and which BJJ is based off of, idk if the high ranking students in the X-kans can or not, I know my sensei can because I have done randori against him. I know I can because I work the Jujutsu moves in my Judo/Juijutsu class.

It all comes down to the person learning the MA, not the MA itself. :D

10. Atharel

Atharel Errant

pmitch - statistics/percentiles matter too.

11. pmitch89

I don't quite understand what your getting at. :confused:

12. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

I have noticed a disturbing trend recently among the x-kans and that when the word "sparring" comes up they immediately substitute "randori" which is pretty much meaningless as they can ascribe any activity they want to it and pass it off as alive training. I have never seen truly alive training in over 8 years of taijitsu training, period. As such techniques are only half learned at best and there is no seperation of good techniques from bad ones and all systems have bad techniques. Untill the x-kans are willing to strike, grapple and throw in an alive manner it will continue to be a substandard system IMO. Given the current state of the art of protective equipment with which you can do eye, throat and groin strikes etc there is no legitimate reason to avoid true alive sparring except for pride and fear.

In the past we have asked for proof of such alive training but mysteriously a film clip cannot ever be shown. Perhaps the randori or whatever is invisible! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  13. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

But dont you think the word "alive training" have no specifics? what are you looking for? UFC stuff, its a bit of a grey area, i think you should be more specific.

14. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Alive training refers to a specific paradigm for training using progressive resistance and non scripted timing and foot work.

It is seen by most to be a very specific way of training now.

15. Atharel

Atharel Errant

pmitch - when 90% of the time, a random practitioner of X style defeats a random practitioner of Y style who have both been practicing for the close to the same amount of time and are similarly sized, that says something about X versus Y.

16. pmitch89

Randori is a general term used to describe free practice. :bang:

Randori is not only used in Ninjutsu, but in Judo as well. Because Judo does Randori, does that make Judo a substandard system? :D

I would be expecting someone who was a taijutsu student for 8 years to know this. :rolleyes:

17. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Are you saying that the methodology of randori in judo and taijutsu are identical? That you are given an area to go at it and are not restricted in the techniques you may use, where there is no preset "uke" or "tori" nor preset waza to be used, with full resistance and intent to defeat the opponent on both sides?

18. pmitch89

Now I understand.

But, I have not seen a statistical comparison of Ninjutsu compared to another MA. Do you have a source that has this comparison? :D

19. pmitch89

No, I was making a point that the term randori isn't limited to Ninjutsu.

And we do have an Uke and Tori in Ninjutsu randori.

20. Atharel

Atharel Errant

I wasn't saying that there was. I was commenting on your assertion that the style doesn't matter.

Theoretically, a man with a knife can beat a man with a sword. Saying that the weapon doesn't matter, that it comes down to the man, is somewhat true - but generally false.