Ninjukai Taijitsu - An Insiders Perspective

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by nostromogremlin, Apr 10, 2009.

1. behindthemask

behindthemask New Member

Look Nostro, you yourself admitted your ex wife has been to John's house and not you. I can prove that Jo Cann had frequented John's house very frequently especially after the Dojo closes and she even helped him in running the dojo! Everyone at the Dojo knew they were lovers. Stop pretending. Don't get upset Nostro. Those things happened more than 18 years ago.

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Please keep personal issues like this off the forum and stick to the facts. This reeks of attempted character assassination rather than dealing with the complaints about the system, and that's just not on.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Jeez this guy is about as subtle as a crow bar to the back of the head!

4. Ladder

Ladder New Member

Behind the Mask your last post reveals your identity. It's been more than 3 years since i last trained at the dojo yet by looking at the ICP list i am fairly sure i know who you are, in fact i used to teach you. Congratulations on the Black belt.

I was unsure if your accusation was correct, but by asking some other X members i have found out it is not true. I understand that you are upset at the truth about your teacher has been but reviled but please do not feel as if you need to attack a man who is just telling the truth.

If any mods see this could they please email my email to Nostro as i am still keen to speak with him.

I encourage other x-members to post their experiences, i understand that most members would not have seen the evidence of the Shihan's lies and manipulations until they were high up in the rank though.

I see that Phill Holt is no longer a teacher, do any more recent members know why? He was running the show when i was there, does anyone know who is running it now? Perhaps Behind the Mask can tell us.

Snake, if you are reading this sorry about my spelling/gammer i was in a rush. ;)

5. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Wow talk about ninja magic! For about a quarter of a second my attention was of the fact that ninjakia really, really sucks!

6. *27*

*27* Valued Member

This thread is hillarious.

I go in to Ninjukai and to be honest I couldn't care less if what I was learning was Ninjutsu or Jujitsu. It's outstanding value for money. For $66 a month you get full use of the gym equipment (of which there is alot of), large mat, multiple boxing bags and makiwaras; and the place is open for your own training everyday from 3pm to 8pm. In addition to this I get taught how to fight by some really top blokes.

Nostro himself said:

"On the positives I did a lot of good training there and met lots of friends and I believe I got quite good at what I was doing. I was a police officer for a number of years and never once lost a fight and regularly used the techniques I learnt from Ninjukai."

7. Arashima

Arashima Banned Banned

If it's good stuff it doesn't need to steal another art's name to promote itself.

In the current climate ninjas are hardly the coolest cats to hang with anyhow, as the MMA world constantly seems to find us to be impotent with no evidence to the contrary.

Get your buddies to drop the 'ninjutsu/ninjitsu' and just call it Ninjukai and problem solved, unless there really are some freaky people who hit on other peoples wives etc, in which case, beware all ye who enter there (the dojo, not your wife).

8. Dean Winchester

I agree.

behindthemask is a scream.

Fair enough but personally I’d like to know about what I’m training in and where it comes from as it has a direct relation to what I’m learning but maybe that’s just me.

That’s about 30 quid so yeah sounds about right and if martial arts tuition is included then yes it sounds pretty good value for money from that perspective.

Ah and here we come to it. I’m not surprised that there a good people at your club however I’ll ask you this.

If it turned out that Ninjukai is a load of made up tosh i.e just bits and pieces from other arts packaged together, sold as something it’s not just for sake of profit, then would you say that the individual who has manufactured it is also a top bloke? As at the end of the day it would mean said individual was lying and misleading people just for ego and money.

What about honesty?

Effectiveness is not necessarily the issue.

A top MMA fighter could be training students and I’ve no doubt they would be excellent fighters but that wouldn’t mean what he was teaching was Ninjutsu and to claim such would be wrong.

A Sambo teacher again could turn out very good fighters but it would be wrong if he were claiming to teach BJJ.

The question in these instances is very rarely about effectiveness, though you do see lots of shoddy nonsense from the various self proclaimed masters out there, it’s about integrity. Face it you can learn to fight from a lot of places so why do it from someone who is lying to you to get your money.

If someone’s skills are good enough then why lie about where you got them from? They should stand up on their own.

Finally if an art is legitimate (what it claims to be) then why resort to threats of legal action when it’s legitimacy is brought into question?
    Surely the easiest way to quiet the critics is simply to provide evidence that your claim is true?

Admittedly there might be the fact that you don’t care what outsiders think but if that’s the case then there’s no need to sling legal threats around is there?

That course of action, to me, would be something you do if you just wish to shut your detractors up because you can’t do it any other way i.e. prove your claims are true.

Oh one last thing.

If you're not bothered by any of this then why make the effort to join the fourm and post telling everyone here how little you care?

Just seems odd.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  9. *27*

*27* Valued Member

You mean Taijutsu. It's called Ninjukai Taijutsu. I put to you that no theft of names was made, and although wikipedia is not the best source, it will have to do:

"Taijutsu (体術 ?), literally meaning "body skill" or "body art", is a term for Japanese martial arts techniques that rely on a science of body movements. Historically, the word taijutsu was often used interchangeably with jujutsu (as well as many other terms) to refer to a range of grappling skills.

Taijutsu, is a form of traditional Japanese unarmed combat common to a plethora of arts utilized throughout main land Japan's history. Contemporary belief askews it as singularly applicable to the Takamatsuden arts; this is erroneous. Taijutsu is a generic term meaning 'body skills' and thus is not particular to one specific school."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taijutsu

So, if you are implying that it stole the name from Bujinkan, it's probably not the case.

I think the Shihan affair scandal comment is just a rumour, because if it were true I think Nostro would have been too sour to say:

"On the positives I did a lot of good training there and met lots of friends and I believe I got quite good at what I was doing. I was a police officer for a number of years and never once lost a fight and regularly used the techniques I learnt from Ninjukai."

Furthermore, I couldn't care less if it were true or not. The point is that for only $66AUD per month I can use it's expansive facilities, which I consider to be great value.

10. Dean Winchester

Who awarded Mr Ang the title of Shihan?

11. Dean Winchester

If it were all false do you not care about lining the pockets of a con man?
    Basically enabling him to continue to mislead other members of the public.

Would it not concern you that you would be helping perpetuate a lie and contributing (indirectly) to fraud being acted out on innocent people?

12. *27*

*27* Valued Member

Correct. It's about one third of the price of your average martial arts clubs in Perth, and even they don't have an extensive gym facility.

Yeah I see what you're saying. I'll first tell you that it's a non-profit organisation business structure. I don't think there would be any opportunity to make much money at all on $66 a month membership, running classes everyday, and they're going to be spending alot upcoming on renovating the dojo for us.

To answer your question, if it turned out to be a load of made up tosh i.e just bits and pieces from other arts packaged together then I really wouldn't mind, because I know that what I am learning is very self defence orientated and the older students really seem to know what they're doing. Like I've said before, I really don't care if the ninja image is a marketing thing, because I don't choose a martial art based on it's packaging. I've tried lots of martial arts in Perth and this one, ironically, seems the most capable in terms of self defence. That is one of the reasons why I settled on this one. The guys that conduct the lessons are top blokes and they seem way more dedicated to teaching me than instructors I have experienced at other martial arts clubs, who I found didn't explain things to me, and then charged me $155 or so per month for it. Whether or not I think the Shihan is a top bloke or not is not a very important issue. My answer would be, I don't know, I don't care. He was, in his day, a Jujitsu champ or something, and he gives great talks that I really benefit from, and that is all that's relevant to me for my purposes. I am very satisfied with my tuition.

If you look to the articles that are available on the website and other sections of the website, you'll see that he clearly distinguishes the art as something that is not 'Ninjutsu'. I have never come across a direct claim that this art is Ninjutsu.

He would know that Defamation is only actionable where the offending comments can be proved to be untrue. If he feels confident that he can bring action against the offending persons, then it is most likely the case that he can prove his legitimacy. Otherwise he would have no ambition of having a case. It makes sense to me.

*sigh* It was a bit of unnecessary work.

Well, it made sense to me to do so, as it was only raising the standard of this thread. I thought people could benefit from hearing my point of view.

13. *27*

*27* Valued Member

That sentence was referring to the funny shihan affair scandal rumour that was posted previously by another poster.

I don't mean to come off as a smart-****, but to answer your question, I don't really see that there's been a lie. Maybe you can elaborate on what exactly you mean. To me, The name of the art is ninjukai taijutsu, taijutsu has traditionally been used interchangably with jujitsu, see my other post where I discussed this. He has set a syllabus, which is presented to us as the art's syllabus, and not any other art's syllabus. I get treated better at that club than I have been treated at any other club, and well, he simply can't have very deep pockets if it's a not for profit organisation only charging $66 per month.

I do value truth. But I myself would not be inflicted if the 'history' section of the web-site turned out to be made up. That's not why I go in to the dojo. I go into the dojo because I get to learn good techniques, do weights and use it's expansive facilities for an affordable price.

For me, going in there is more about me and what I get out of it, rather than the art's history or how great or legitimate the shihan is. I know I'm getting good tuition and that's a more relevant consideration for me.

14. *27*

*27* Valued Member

Simply put, for the benefit of those planning to try the art, I would not be bothered at all if the statements made by the original poster were in fact true.

I already know that the allegations that the Shihan is trying to wrangle money out of us and maximise money earnt from us are false, because I know how low my fees are! He could charge so much more money if he chose to. If anyone is wrangling anything out of anyone, it's me, wrangling value, out of the organisation. Seriously. I am very grateful that it's so incredibly cheap for what you get.

15. *27*

*27* Valued Member

Does anyone else find this paragraph a tad on the rediculous side?

16. Ur Anaite

Ur Anaite tabi cos only 2 toes

No. It is standard to expect this from people trying to make money from martial arts and any former or current students of ninjukai would be aware that this is indeed the case.

Just incase any possible future students are reading this thread why don't you tell us what the great price is again? Laugh Out Loud. Z. Why do people put a 'z' at the end of lol?

It is a great deal, that is called being a good business man. A regular monthly income is better than people turning up once a week or every second week because it means the business can rely on a certain amount for the month. My dojo tried it to encourage more students to attend every week and travel to the other dojo reguarly but people are too lazy.

Additional income is from the sales which you find the suggestion of ridiculous. I recall choosing to buy equipment online since the exact same equipment had an extra 70% on top of its base price. (same brand, everything.) To ensure that you buy his belts John Ang signs them, everyone is proud to have his writing on their belt and buy them jsut incase he signs them with a commendation for their good demonstration.

How much are the gradings again 27? ohyeah, and isnt the blue belt split into two gradings (charged twice?)

To any future possible members of ninjukai, while it is good value for a MMA-LARP group I regret turning down training in Bujinkan while I lived there, convinced as I was by my instructors that Ninjukai had 'th3 r34l ninjutsu.' The first year of my training in a genuine martial art was wasted un-training what I had learnt at ninjukai.

I regret visiting the convenient cheap ninjukai dojo instead of the genuine ninjutsu art available in the same location.

17. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

No, it's just funny and sad because all the suckers get roped into their schemes.

Question is, is it crueler to show them the truth or let them continue on in ignorance.

18. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Quick question for you. Mr. Ang says that the system is Korean. His "instructor comes from Korea". But somehow he uses a term of Shihan which comes from Japan? Sifu comes from China and Shihan is used in Japanese martial arts so if his is Korean, where did the term come from?

19. garth

garth Valued Member

I wonder if *27* is John Ang

20. Ur Anaite

Ur Anaite tabi cos only 2 toes

well duh