Nihon Taijutsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Zabrus, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

One story claims Asayama Sangoro had a vision (as usual in the legendary founding of most jujutsu schools) where Fudô Myôô appeared to him.

About jutsu - jitsu ... we do call it nihon taijitsu, with 'i'... but I also do tend to sometimes write the wrong juts-jitsu

2. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

The Hishigi is also sometimes referred to as "Bo Gyaku Dori", for the record (referring to gyaku waza with a stick, as well as the commonly used "reverse grip" for the stick found in the Ryu). When it comes to "jutsu/jitsu", the words are actually different the same way that "pan" isn't the same English word as "pin". The kanji are:
    術 - Jutsu, meaning "art, practical art"
    実 - Jitsu, meaning "truth".

3. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Thanks, was aware of the distinction (but I make the mistake too) but not that jitsu means truth.

In Europe, USA, Brazil, etc, I know that many people write Jitsu due to phonetics.

Jim Alcheik, student of Minoru Mochizuki, who developed TaiJitsu (with i, yes) with him, was French, of Algerian origin. So probably from him, or his student Roland Hernaez, comes the 'i'.

Jim Alcheik was killed in 1962, at 31 years of age, in a terrorist attack in Algiers. It was during the Algiers independence, which was agreed by de Gaulle. He was there as secret agent for the French government, and was killed by a local french terrorist group that didn't like the idea of freeing Algiers. Yes, sadly, martial arts don't stop bombs.

Photo of Minoru Mochizuki and Jim Alcheik:
    [​IMG]

Lots of interesting documents (in french), old photos, etc at:
    http://falourd.pagesperso-orange.fr/Biographie%20de%20Jim%20Alcheik.htm

4. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Nope, we are not. Not even Roland Hernaez is part of the Yoseikan anymore.