new MA

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by luciobrazil007, Nov 16, 2013.

1. luciobrazil007

luciobrazil007 Valued Member

hi, i live in the brighton south east area. im 17 and looking for a martial art. i had about 4 months experience with judo. it was ok but i found some of the techniques hard to master.
    i am interested in something pratical with self defence , preferably striking and grappling but definitely striking. also i would prefer not having to get a uniform.

thanks

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

What's available in your area? Muay thai sounds like it might be a good fit...

3. luciobrazil007

there is muay thai , krav maga , kickboxing , systema , there might be eskrima , silat
    probably is more
    as well as the usual , karate , kung fu , judo , taekwondo ect.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

MMA, or Thai boxing, although both will take more then 4 months to master.
    When you say uniform, all arts will need training clothes to wear, shorts t shirt etc.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you find difficult things unappealing I suggest you give up on martial arts. There are no easy options.

6. luciobrazil007

i didnt quit because it was hard. just have football training on the same night.

just saying i would try something else if i started martial arts again

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Find a Muay Thai gym. There's no grappling, but most MT gyms either run MMA sessions themselves or have a partnership with an MMA gym.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

muay thai clinch work is an incredible base to start grappling from so in the future it will be useful

9. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

You are welcome to try out at our Bujinkan dojo near the centre of Brighton.

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

There's plenty of grappling in Muay Thai from a self defence standpoint. The only real difference is that throwing over a body part is looked down on and it doesn't have any focus on ground fighting (not any that I've been taught anyway).

Obviously it's harder to transfer into a ring environment because you'd be wearing gloves, but good clinch training should be practiced without gloves when starting out so that you get a good feel for the techniques and there is an incredible amount of depth to it if you have the right teacher.

Obviously an art like Judo, etc, is going to have more in depth grappling, but to say there's none in Muay Thai, when you can grab a guy and side belly to belly suplex him, is a tad untrue. :)

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh lawd. You gave up something practical for self-defense already. I know you didn't post a whole lot of information but it makes me think you don't understand the things that tend to come through in a self-defense situation.

Muay Thai and MMA will probably give you what you want though between learning how to strike while gaining necessary grappling skills as well (muay thai being more clinch work rather than double leg takedowns). Everything transitions to the fighting aspect of self-defense. Shorts and a t-shirt usually suffice for training in those martial arts.

12. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

No grappling...
    Boxing Gym is the easy answer.

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Escrima you said? Escrima!

14. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

4 months is really not that long a time. Some things take far longer to learn to a good level. If you dismiss judo as too difficult after 4 months, then that disqualifies most other Japanese or Chinese arts.

15. luciobrazil007

dosent matter. i have 2 hours football training on mondays and the only judo club available to me in on mondays.

does this look good?
    http://www.tae-jitsu.co.uk/
    a combo of TKD/kickboxing and jiu- jitsu

16. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thank's John. I have a student at this University and she'll find this link of use.