New Articles.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Andy Murray, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

In case you don't regularly check this section of the forum, here are two new articles, written by MAP Oldbie Melanie!

Tim Nicklin- Okinawan Kata Course

SENI 2004

I'm sure she'd be grateful for any feedback!

2. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Andy - Thanks for highlighting these. I'd have missed 'em otherwise.

Melanie - Thanks for writing these. I enjoyed them both and you may even have inspired me to get to SENI '05!

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Great write-ups Melanie. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like I might try SENI 2005. :eek:

Thanks again. :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  4. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Cheers guys - thanks for that :)

Less of the oldie - oldie :p (to Andy!)

5. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

uh oh

A Shotokaner gone Okinawan :D

Bo can sometimes take a little while to get used to, and Isshin ryu doesn't really have a "beginner" bo kata ;)

6. Melanie

Have to say Andrew...you would have loved my performance - all those smacks to the back of me head - you'd have loved it for the comedy value!

7. Jim

Jim New Member

I liked both of them, Mel. They weren't too long or too short. Just right! ;)

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Some photos would be nice - hint hint :D

9. Melanie

Oh yeah..would love to mate but now too afraid to put the scanner on...I really am gonna have to do summink about me computer aren't I??

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

.... that had nothing to do with this quote from SENI 04 article does it?? ;)

I did see pics of SENI on line somewhere .... (at least those of Mike Chat ;) )
    Good articles Mel ... !

11. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

Melanie.... great pieces.... but I'm curious about the OLDBIE comment... I thought you were a "sweet young thing" hahahhahaha

By the way, which Isshin ryu Bo kata did you work on. Das my style lady......

lets toss it around.

Mike O'Leary...... the old man in canada. :woo:

12. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

There is that Andrew guy again..... Isshin Ryu has lots of "beginner" bo kata, as well as basics, bo bo, bo sai, bo tuifa, and no... not the hokey stuff that Ungie copied from the american's that worked them up for demo's. Bo -Bo and Bo sai that Shapland did and Ungie stole from the service men was "show" "demonstration stuff" worked up by the marines in the 60's, Shimabuku just adopted it for a bit as part of demos, but never taught it, the marines past this on. Ask the marines and ask Ceiso and Tokamura sensei. Sheesh man... You got to get out more. Shimabuku did basics drills (forms) on all weapons and tokumine is a beginner kata. In ryu kyu Kobudo Shushi no kun is the first kata and its more difficult than tokumine. Even urashi is fairly stright forward repitition in several directions. They are not complicated movements, the hard part in kobudo is the mechanics and geometry of the moves in volved.

Mike O'Leary
    Abbotsford Isshin Ryu Karate Club
    Abbotsford BC
    Canada

13. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

She tells everybody that. :p

I meant Oldbie, as in Mel's been around from the dawn of this site.

14. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Thanks for the Isshinryu info Mike! I have studied the style for a bit now, good to hear some great info on it! Thanks again. :)

Unfortunatley I haven't started any of the Isshinryu bo kata yet but am looking forward to it. Any good tips? Hang on a second, this is a bit off-topic. Sorry!

Nice articles Melanie, I always felt a little odd with a bo too until I got used to it.

15. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

On that I would disagree.

Very often students are thrown straight into Tokumine with no other bo work before hand. Which by the sounds of things is what happened to Melanie.

Shushi no kun sho / dai are much easier to teach to a beginner then Tokumine.

16. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

The Tim Nicklin course sounded interesting, pity I missed it (I'm only in Horsham!) Look forward to the next one - somebody put a big notice on the home page please !!!

robert