Negotiation in SD

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Punchy, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

I just did a search of this SD forum looking for "negotiation" hoping to find material on negotiation techniques for use in deescalation of dangerous situations. There were only about 10 threads and they were not very relevant, and the latest was about 2006.

I was surprised as I have always thought that negotiation was a key element of SD - I hold to the view the SD is 99% processes, awareness and negotiation and 1% combat.

Can anyone point me to some good sites or other sources of information about negotiation techniques?

Am I missing something - do you people think negotiation of little value in SD?

Thank you.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Have a look at the website below. Geoff Thompson has been there, seen it and done it. Sign up (free) for the newsletter and you will be able to download a copy of Fighting without Fighting. This book will answer all of your questions. It will explain the adrenal dump, as well as verball and physical techniques for avoiding confrontation (physical does not have to mean fighting).

This book is one of the best I have read on this particular subject.

http://www.geoffthompson.com/

3. APC

APC Valued Member

I've just started the "Watch My Back" book by that guy but I am only as far as him knocking the crap out of people. I've got the "nice" him to look forward to.

I am interested in pre-fight psychology and how to avoid one short of running away so I'm up for info on negociation too.

4. Dikzzz

Dikzzz Valued Member

5. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Geoff Thompson is good, there is no doubt about it, but I'm not sure he discusses pre-fight discussion.

Try searching for Verbal Judo by George Thompson (no relation). This will give you some excellent communication skills.

The use of language should not be overlooked, but it is very situation specific. It can be used to intimidate or open your oppertunities for attack, but I would say that pre-fight banter is usually for those in authority or drunk people who are not sure of fighting/want some sort of trigger.

Let me know what you think of the Verbal Judo though.