Need advice finding a new style

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Deviatingtao, May 24, 2006.

1. Deviatingtao

Deviatingtao Valued Member

I'm looking to learn a new style, but I'm not really sure what, so I'm asking for advice.

I've taken shotokan and Tai chi. I didn't really like shotokan but I did like Tai chi, however, I want something with a martial application, which I would never had learnt where I was taking Tai chi.

I'm looking for a style with martial applications, something that will teach me to fight and get me into shape. I have no objection to any thing on the spiritual side of things, but the above is the priority.

I much prefer a striking style over a grappling style, though a mix wouldn't hurt.

Also, I'm 6'2, 180lbs and relatively flexable for someone who doesn't do all that much exercise on a normal basis.

I'm not interested in competition, though I have no objections to full contact, and I can live with out Katas, but I can live with them also.

Finally, (and I know this is the wrong board, so feel free to ignore this) I'm in NYC, so if you could point me to a good place, it would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you all so much,
    M

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

tai chi has martial applications. tai chi is not that new age b.s. excercise parading to be tai chi. tai chi is a very effective m.a.

try searching along the lines of taiji world.

bagua is another style you might consider. or hsing-i.

3. Deviatingtao

I am aware that Tai chi has martial applications, and would love to learn that, but I have been unsuccessful in finding anywhere that teaches it.

M

4. gornex

gornex Valued Member

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

try searching for earl mantague's taijiworld.com

6. Dai Yoshida

Dai Yoshida New Member

Would you consider Shaolin?
    Have you looked into Shaolin Temple overseas headquarter in NY?
    I'm not particularly fond of the current leadership in the mainland temple and I don't even want to get into the political BS but I know you'll get a great workout there. If anything, they will whip you into shape.

Check out:
    http://www.shaolin-overseas.org/contact.html

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I wouldn't bother with it. They will give you a great workout, but if you want the real, ****-kicking chinese martial arts, check out Pak Mei. I can't vouch for this teacher as I've never met him, but he's been recommended by a more experience CMA'ist than me. Check out:

http://www.pakmeinyc.net/

Hakka styles. I like them because I do one! :D :D

8. seyah

seyah Valued Member

I hate these types of questions! :bang: :bang: :bang: Just check your local schools try them and you'll know if you like or don't like. Sorry for being so blunt but get of your butt and do your own foot work. :cry: :cry:

9. Deviatingtao

Thanks to all who gave me suggestions, I'll check them out. You've been a great help all for someone who isn't very familiar with the different styles.

M

10. crescentkick

crescentkick New Member

Most schools will give a free lesson or two. I tried Shotokan, Wado Ryu, and Tang Soo Do.I took 2 free classes of Shotokan and Wado Ryu, and One of Tang Soo Do, and chose to go with Tang Soo Do, which is definatly a style with martial applications. Granted, I am brand new, but I think I made a good choice. No one can choose for you, you must find what you like.

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

If you enjoyed Tai Chi, a kung fu style would probably suit you well.

I personally recommend

White Crane
    SPM (Chow Gar, Chu Gar, Jook Lum, Iron Ox)
    wuzuquan

12. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Dude you live in NYC? I envy you.

http://www.pachitanglang.com/index.htm teaches many of the good internal styles, as well as a good variety of all Praying Mantis/Tang Lang styles. Pretty good from what I've heard..

And what Yohan said.. Go with Pak Mei.. I'd give a finger or maybe a fingernail to train there.. that stuff is just nasty badass :)

13. kungfoolery

kungfoolery Valued Member

wing chun.... i mean i jsut feel sorry for anyone who tries to mess with a wing chun practitioner, even the awkward nerdy kids (excuse the expression) in my class have proved the art on the street, and the tai kickboxers from the other class cant even hit our black sashes.

14. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

what about a different style of karate like wado ryu or something, as karate offers a wide range of strikes

15. mojo shorin-ryu

mojo shorin-ryu Valued Member

Ma

in my oppinion and for how i fight, shorin-ryu ( karate from Shuri ) because its so well rounded and a lot of schools dont stick to just what they learned from japan but they let it evolve into a more modern art, ive found its very good for self defense and has good phylospphy, and i think its the best style of karate for modern self defense because instead of being right down the center line like shotokan or goju-ryu it fights off the center line which makes it much much easier to fight a bigger stronger opponent, here are some videos that show a bit of shorin-ryu, these are just kata interpretations but they are good and show you why there are 2 step " blocks " in many karate forms:

http://martialarts.thepodcastnetwork.com/ theyre all pretty good, im not in any yet but thats because i havent been to any of the tapings, ill be in the next one though!, if you want more questions or a better look at shorin-ryu ask me and also visit www.fullcirclekarate.org -stute

16. mojo shorin-ryu

mojo shorin-ryu Valued Member

Ma

in my oppinion and for how i fight, shorin-ryu ( karate from Shuri ) because its so well rounded and a lot of schools dont stick to just what they learned from japan but they let it evolve into a more modern art, ive found its very good for self defense and has good phylospphy, and i think its the best style of karate for modern self defense because instead of being right down the center line like shotokan or goju-ryu , shorin-ryu fights off the center line which makes it much much easier to fight a bigger stronger opponent, here are some videos that show a bit of shorin-ryu, these are just kata interpretations but they are good and show you why there are 2 step " blocks " in many karate forms:

http://martialarts.thepodcastnetwork.com/ theyre all pretty good, im not in any yet but thats because i havent been to any of the tapings, ill be in the next one though!, if you want more questions or a better look at shorin-ryu ask me and also visit www.fullcirclekarate.org -stute

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

18. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

It is no good learning a style if the instructor is usless, find a good instructor, not only skilled but a good teacher and someone who you can get along with. After following this you're choice will be alot easier as there will not be as many to choose from

19. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

new style

i would serioly recommend chinese kickboxing. it links kung fu styles like wing chun with classic european full contact kickboxing

20. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I would also recommend something that teaches weapon arts, if you're into "martial content". I'm not going to recommend WMA, since the unarmed part is mostly grappling (lots of breaks, dislocations and throws), and you specified striking. Perhaps FMA might be of service... if you're going to learn to defend against weapons (assuming you can't run away), you might want to learn how to use them in the first place. Less surprises that way. :)

Just my $0.02,

-Mark