Name Your Dream School

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kof_Andy, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

I been thinking lately how I would name my martial art school in the future, and recently I heard of a song called Dragon Fist. My first impression was like wow that would be a awsome name for a style. Anyway theres no such style apon that name. So I was like how about Dragon Fist Academy? :eek: That would be a cool name. Dont you guys think? Main focus will be Taekwondo, but also offer Iaido, and some acrobatic movement for higher rank only. I dont want to be lame, and put taekwondo as school name like Andy's Taekwondo..... :eek: So what do you guys think about that name? Would you come in and check it out? And what about names. What would you guys name your school?

2. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

Respectfully of course, if I saw the name Dragon Fist Academy, it would give me the impression that your school teaches some kind of Dragon style kung-fu and not TKD.

Nevertheless, I would stop in to find out exactly what your school has to offer. As far as the 'name game' goes, it would depend on what arts you will be teaching, the location of the school...
    You mentioned acrobatic kicks will be taught. From a TKD point of view or Kung Fu ?

Iaido/TKD Academy of....(your location)????

Academy of Self Defense...

Sometimes knowing how TKD and Iaido will be taught(together) can give you an idea of a name.:)

3. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Thanx for the input. Is just a though, havent though of location for the schools yet. Anyway I wont be opening one anytime soon. Thats something I hopefully will be doing 5 years from now.
    It will be strickly taekwondo foundation, with acrobatic movement being taugh, and iaido as for weapon of choice.
    :Angel:

4. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Harmony Martial Arts School. Offers Shotokan Karate, Goju Ryu, and Arnis/ Sikaran. Bringing it to another level would mean offering Filipino Silat. :D

5. Jim

Jim New Member

TKD doesn't have that much in the way of 'fisty cuffs' does it? Dragon is great when it comes to thinking 'marketing' and 'martial arts', but I would still give a little more details to the 'non-layman' when it comes to advertising your MA centre.

Dragon Fist Academy would make me think more of maybe a Kung Fu or Karate-type school rather than TKD.

Good luck.

6. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Well TKD translation does mean way of fist and foot fighting. Anyway how about Dragon Kick Academy then? ;) I much perfer Dragon Fist Academy hehe. :D

7. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

Why not call it Bob?

Just kidding!!!!

8. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Ultimately, good teaching will keep your students, not a fancy name.

Something that represents what you teach, whilst not misleading people into a false image of what you teach through the name. (E.g. Dragon fist makes me think of kung fu)

Jack

9. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Arrgh the curse! Here it is again! :D

I thought you'd know by now Jim! :D

P.s. Who's House? :D

10. TM77

TM77 Valued Member

been thinking lately how I would name my martial art school in the future, and recently I heard of a song called Dragon Fist. My first impression was like wow that would be a awsome name for a style. Anyway theres no such style apon that name.

Check out this link...
    http://www.loongying.co.uk/index.html

Chances are you'd get quite a few people showing up expecting some kung fu instruction.

11. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

how about "Andoo Kof TKD (way of the fast foot)

12. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Everyone is there to have fun, no ego problems, no squabbling, no stylistic limitations, and everyone is better then me.

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Something with classes for kids and adults and mixed age classes also for those who would like that thing. Maybe the adult class taught by Heather Locklear in that new dobok by 'Victoria's Secret'.

14. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

"Fun-Time Sexy Martial Arts Club For You" would be the perfect name. But I would translate that into Chinese and use that as the name.

15. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

How bout a club where there are no favorites, people are respected for their differences and experiences and the fun is fun for everyone not just those who fit the mold. I'd name that dream school "Successful".

16. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

....must resist comment...must resist comment
    :Angel:

Yes I like the name and surely I would come in and check it out purely because I am not sure as to "what" martial art is being taught there.
    So I would add yet another 'descriptive' name possibly to the title of your school such as "Dragon Fist Academy of Korean Martial Arts"....

This link is kinda fun ...
    Martial Arts School Generator

What would I name my school? KC's Tae Kwon do House of Discipline ... grrrr!!! ;) or....

... perhaps,
    The Honorable Academy of Bounding Monkeys. This martial path is well-known and taught only in one location. This martial technique has a reputation for a playful attitude, and focuses on escaping combat when needed. This martial path obsessively guards its ultimate technique, the "Defensive Air Kick".

17. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

"people are respected for their differences and experiences and the fun is fun for everyone "

Yep, thats important too. People that don't respect the others are not healthy to have around.

18. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

You got it Andrew. Gotta respect others. Dream clubs are built on that. Give people their dignity and you will never regret it.

As for names, any name that implies pain or agony is probably not a good choice but you don't want to go too soft either. the "Happy Little Elves of Karate" or "Aunty Bessie's School of Butt Kicking" probably wouldn't be great draw either.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2003