Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Monday 5th September

No solo trianing today, not enough time.

Karate kids
    Only five children arrived today. Either we haven't advertised enough that the new season is starting or everyone is getting settled in school first. All the kids today were very well behaved, so it was a pleasure. We did plenty of games and reviewed some basics.

Karate adults
    12-13 people came, one new. We did similar stuff as with the kids, some fun cardio, basic techniques, footwork and stuff a new person can participate in easily. And a bit of kata at the end. I didn't break all that much sweat, but I did not participate in everything.

2. Nachi

Tuesday 6th September

I went to bed later yesterday and I am on antibiotics (which probably isn't the problem as I feel ok), but I felt lazy in the morning and had a headache, so I slept a bit instead of morning Taiji....

To compensate I at least did 1 Laojia Yilu before lunch and 1 Kururunfa.

Taiji Kung-fu
    Our young junior whom I learned the sword form with returned after summer, so the two of us practiced the sword this class. Instructor L later also joined us. We were supposed to practice push-hands for the second half of the class, but in the end, stuck with the sword.
    The girl very talented and everyone has great plans for her. The teacher told me she wanted to learn the fan form and if I wanted to learn, too. I didn't want to be too enthusiastic nad ready to just learn new stuff, but I kind of wanted to, so I said it a bit carefully. This will be taught in the kng-fu class with probably mostly teenagers on Monday and Wednesday. I previously agreed to come to learn or assist with the Wednesday classes, so the teacher would teach us the fan there, it seems. Not right away, maybe we'd start at the end of September. I will check this class out starting tommorrow, though. I am looking forward to how it'll be. The teacher probably also wants me to help train the girl a little, though I am not sure I am the right person for that. It may just be a little assistance, though, who knows. Maybe I'll just be a learning partner.

Anyway today's sword class was very nice. The teacher had more time for us and the three of us got plenty of corrections. It was a great class, though everytime we do sword in this class, it is very tiring, so I feel quite tired the next couple of classes. The junior did sword yesterday, too, and she vanished before the next sword class :D

Taiji sword
    Laojia Yilu for a warm-up, then basic sword exercises and working on the first half of the form. We stopped in some sequences and practiced those. And added a couple of new moves. I was also focusing on the corrections form the previous class.

Taiji - Laojia Yilu
    Next week we will be starting learning the Cannon fist. Today the teacher sent me to the first row, and when he was returning after our warm-up with Laojia Yilu, he went by me and told me a mistake I was doing in the last kick, but then said we can all work on this. We worked on a couple of moves from the last sequence of the form. Later, the teacher switched places with instructor L, who practiced with us further.

3 hours, 1500 kcal.

3. Nachi

Wednesday 7th September

1 Laojia Jilu, Kururunfa and Sepai in the morning.

Taiji sword

The new semester and new trianing schedule for Taiji starts next week, but I was told to come for the class even this week, to pratice sword with my little junior. I came, but the girl wasn't there. I thought there would be a class for teenagers, but that one indeed only starts next week. So it was another senior instructor and me. So we basically had a private class with the teacher. We went through the form once slowly. The instructor hasn't been training that much lately and forgot a bit of the sword form. The teacher then stopped us in some places. I was told to straighten my back yet again and pushed into the right position, which felt like a slight torture when I was told to move in this position... That was my main task and i was practicing the stuff that was mostly for the other instructor. Later I got some corrections, too, about a couple of places I either remembered wrong, understood wrong, or got another variation that would be nicer since I already know the moves. It was a nice class. We spent it drilling a few passages. We did two more whole sword forms at the end. The instructor than had enough and worked on something easier on the legs, while I continued with the forms. When I was about to do the fourth one, though, the teacher came, and quickly showed us some adjustments as to how to do the form better. Then the next class came from the outside after silk reeling, so sword ended there.

Taiji 18 moves
    I went to drink and joined the class. I stood in the back as I arrived later, but wondered how long I'd be allowed to stay there. Yeah, not long. I was sent forward to do the stuff the teacher wanted us to practice. No relax time for me... It was a nice class, though, got one move corrected.

Taiji 27 moves - assisting.
    My legs tend to be tired on Wednesdays after the harsh Tuesdays. And today after two hours of training, I wasn't particularly looking forward to the silk reeling I'd have to lead the group through. It wasn't as bad as I thought - legs didn't hurt as much, but the motion wasn't as smooth as I'd like. The teacher today was a different one than the one who's usually here on Wednesdays. He wanted to leave me with the less advanced group and take the advanced ones to the big room, but when only three people moved to come with him, I was sent with them instead. The teacher said they already learned the next move last time - High Patting on Horse - so to work on that.
    We first did the whole 27 moves, but it definitely did not look like they remembered the last move at all. Ah, I was really hoping I wouldn't have to be the one to explain this one. I can't do this move as well as I'd like and have a bit of an uncertainty about the timing of shifting weight there. I had to think about how to start and explain the move well and we did it bit by bit, I tried to explain the idea behind, but still, a friend, an advanced student, didn't particularly make me happy when he asked about how the applications looks. I don't really rememeber, but could guess and could definitely fit a nice pull and then push into an elbow lock. So I showed that, that this could probably be an application, but they'd better ask one of the teachers next time. We spent most of the class working on this move.
    The teacher came to chack on us briefly at one point. When he showed up in the door, one of the guys started calling: "Nachi is doing a great job, really, she explains it so nicely!" On one hand, it was really sweet and nice of him, on the other, it totally sounded as if I told him to sing praises to me at any chance the teacher asked.... Gosh :D I tried to silence him, but it was no use :D

axelb likes this.
  4. Nachi

Thursday 8th September

Morning Taiji at home:
    6x sword form
    1 Laojia Yilu + the first third once again
    1 spear form
    10 kicking sequences

Karate
    Sensei teaching today, we had two young newcomers. We did some work-out, kihon, footwork, San Dan Gi. When the class ended we took 30 mins to still shoot some videos we wanted sensei for. Nice class :)

5. Nachi

Friday 9th September

I planned to go out in the evening, but a storm came. I only did 4 Laojia Yilus today.

Saturday 10th September

Taiji home training

2 Laojia Yilu (+1 ráno
    8 mečů
    3 kopí

As seems to be the case this whole week in general, I felt rather tired. Today more than before. My limbs weren't listening that well and I omitted all fajins and practiced relaxedly. I felt fairly tired afterwards. Today is also my last day on antibiotics. I am hoping my tiredness comes from it, perhaps, and it will get better.

Sunday 11th September

I cooked and baked in the morning, but felt very tired after lunch. I wanted to train and even do some work on my tablet, but I really was too tired, so I just went to get a nap. Which is very rare for me. I only got up three hours later and did the rest of the chores etc. Only managed to relax at 8 pm.

Only did 2 Laojia Yilus in the morning.

6. Nachi

Monday 12 September

Morning Taiji at home
    A friend is leading our challenge table. I have fallen behind again afte yesterday, so I had to push it a bit more today :)
    10x Taiji sword form
    4x Spear form
    2x Laojia Yilu

Over an hour of practice, avHR 149 bpm, 700 kcal.

Karate kids
    Only five today, but different five (except for one) than last week. All were nice, none was noisy or trying to disturb the class, so it was a pleasure to teach. We did some basics, a bit of pads, kata at the end.

I came a bit later, because one mom stopped me asking if she could perhaps try our karate warm-up at the adult class. She saw once we were doing some work-out and she would like to do something, too, instead of just sitting there. I unfortunately don't know when there' going to be similar warm-up, but I told her to just grab gym clothes and joint he whole class next time. She was a bit reluctant that she would have a hard time memorizing stuff, but I tried to encourage her, when another mom arrived - surely, she'd go, too! The second one protested at first, but then seemed inclidned, but found a problem what to do with her kids in the mean time. The third arriving mom had the same problem, she had rather young children, so despite her previously enjoying and trying to make sensei to do more self-defence classes, she wouldn't make it to our class.
    At the beginning of adult class, I tried another mom (we're already on friendly terms with several of them), who was waiting for her son at the adult class - "Hey, do you know next class, moms are coming?" She immediately refused, she would be a laughingstock, she said. But when the training ended, apperently, she still didn't manage to push it out of her head, as she came to me: "What were you saying about the moms next class?" Hahaha, hooked! :D I told her to come, and she left, saying: "But I'd have to bring the other one with me!" My gosh, if the four moms really do come next time, I'm going to laugh so hard! :D I don't really thing they would, but at least the first one might! I think it is awesomne when parents pick up the same hobby with their children. And moms doing karate with their sons is just too cool! :)

Karate adults
    First, we were talking a bit of theory - about etiquette in the dojo. Then we worked on Sanchin kata, then Junbi Undo and I included a bit more of leg and hip stretching. Later we worked on basic techniques - kihon and kihon ido - tsuki and mae and mawashi geri. In the last 20 mins we tried kakie - push-hands in pairs. Just the most common type withtou any techniques, only how tu pull from it at the end - to just grab at the right time and pull, using the partner's strenght. A few of the people were trying kakie for the first time, so I always stood by and did my best to help.

7. Nachi

Tuesday 13th Septemebr

Morning Taiji
    Arrived early, but the building was locked, so we got delayed. I still had time for at least one spear form before the class started. We warmed up with Laojia Yilu. Then worked on the kicking part of the form two people were learning. I got some corrections, too and it was nice to practice this one bit and try to improve it. In the last 15 mins we tried push-hands. This group is people who learned the basic form - Laojia Yilu about a year ago and now the teacher tries to give option what they want to learn, so he wanted to give them a taste of push-hands. Other than that, he said we will be splitting this class between doing the form once, then working on the movements from it and in the last third he'd be teaching sword slowly. Nice :)

My legs are already tired from yesterday. I fear today's eveninig classes will be tough. But I am looking forward to practice nonetheless :)

8. Nachi

Tuesday 13th September

Kung-fu

So the new schedule started and we'll be doing push-hands, sword and maybe some stuff with mostly the teens who will have somethign between Taiji and King-fu class. The teacher came to me curious about how we go about warm-up and stretching and karate. Before I did much explaining, I was doing a 15 min warm-up + Junbi Undo.... Instructor L, when she heard me asking how hard should the warm-up be, opted out. The teacher wanted me to be harsh, but I realized I myself had three hours of training ahead of me still, so... :D
    Then our usual trio worked on the sword form. We first went through the whole form slowly, stopping in the big positions, adjusting ourselves. Then the teacher picked a sewuance, gave us some corrections and let us practice over and over. Then the next sequence. It was quite tiring, but the sequence we got was a nice one and we were supposed to make it flow, and I enjoyed that. In the last 10 mins or so, instructor L and i joined the push-hands class and practiced the basic form.

Taiji sword
    Not many people came today for some reason. We did one whole Laojia Yilu and a few basic sword exercises, then worked on the first half of the form. Also trying to improve some sequences. Then the teacher showed us the next move. The way I learned it with my two kung-fu sisters :)D) was a bit different, with a stab backward while going into a low stance. So I had to focus to so the right variation. The teacher showed us a few times, demonstrating in front of us as we copied him, but during that time and right after he left to watch how we're doing, the people from the front move to the back, so without me actually doing anything, I ended up in the front line and then being urged to go more forward by one of the frontline escapees :D What the heck is this weird strategy? :D

Taiji - Laojia Yilu
    Today we were supposed to start learning Laojia Erlu, but a few of the usual people were missing, so the teacher wanted everyone to first settle and we worked on Laojia Yilu still. We did one whole form at the beginning, then the teacher picked a sequence we were to do faster, flowing, without stop, except for proper fajins that we included. I was fairly tired now and my knee was hurting a little, but this was really fun, so I forgot about my tiredness. I tend to practice my forms at home more like this. I know I should be able to do it slowly, too, but the slow pace of people who are inthe front dictating the pace is killing me. I want the form to flow, not stop all the time and wait to be able to move through the next part. Yeah, I should be able to do it with a flow and still slowly, the tempo dictators are doing that. But I honestly have such a hard time iwth this. I tend to pick pace in the turns etc. And this practice was just as I liked it, so I was really enjoing myself!
    The teacher was walking around or standing to the side and uttered a few corrections for me when he walked by. Great. It was such an enjoyable class that I wasn't even sad the Laojia Erlu that I am looking forward to so much, was stillpostponed. :)

At the end I stretched as usual, by the wallbars. I felt well stretched today and though I should keep pushing myself a bit, so I targeted the next bar with my leg. Success, yay! Who knew? I stretched properly twice for each side. I am not sure if I'll ever reach the next one (I would probably have to do a full split to do that and I even if I did, I am not sure if I could reach it and moreonver, how to do that split vertically by wallbars). I've also been noticing altely with some kicks, that I have something shortened - I can't push my left leg that high and make my right foot point forward. I have no trouble with this on the left leg and it bugs me. I will try to do soem stretching and push my foot forward in the kicks.

9. Nachi

Wednesday 14th September

Kung-fu advanced class
    Not sure if I was going to help here or what, but I came. Apart from me there were two other instructors, who usually teach the teenage classes and both teachers. I wasn't really needed, but I joined in the practice, it was fun. We did some stretching, then I was sent with a small group to practice the sword with the main teacher. I was in the front for this and we got some pointers from the teacher, who was also pushing our stances. The little "sister" was dictating the stance. The teacher liked how she could be low enough to have thigh parallel to the floor that it could hold a waterbottle. Fine, so be it. the teacher had us all stand as low while correcting our stance. When I noticed the little sister shaking and needing to get up as her legs were giving up. Ah, if you are going to challenge us, at least hold there! I couldn't help thinking a little "good for you, this was your fault to begin with, so enjoy!" :D But yeah, it was a good practice.
    And stretching at the end.

Taiji - 19 moves
    I was originally told to assist in this class, but there was another instructor, who may or may not have time in the future for this class, who led the warm-up. I joined and practiced the 19th moves normally. Good practice ,I was nicely stretched from the previous class.

Taiji - assisting
    Since I was told to assist at the previous class and not this one, I wasn't in theory required here, but now there weren't any instructors here, so I waited a little, when I saw the teacher and wanted to ask if I should start the class, but he told e to do just that before I even asked. We did meditation and silk reeling and usual. The teacher weren't there, yet, so I did 5 moves to 4 directions with the bigger group and asked the other one to go through their form once.
    I did one more with them later, when the teachers came. Our group them practiced High Patting on Horse. Phew, looks like I explained it well last time. Except for the timing of shifting the weight at one point, which, as the teacher pointed out, was the problem that always threw me off rhytm. The way I was doing it was, as I was explaining it to the group before, with focus on application, but it would hinder the flow of the move in the form. At least it wasn't completely wrong. I got a few more corrections and we worked on this move till the end. Nice class again. My legs were already getting tired at the end, so it was just on time that the practice ended for me today :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  10. Nachi

Thursday 15th September

Taiji home practice
    Silk reeling, 1 Laojia Yilu, 10x kicking sequence and one swordless sword form (it was raining outside and I had to go back and forth to fir the form inside even without a sword in hand.

Karate
    We had again one new student. Sensei was teaching today. Some running for a warm-up, Junbi Undo, then kihon on the spot and lastly an exercice in groups of three where one person runs between the two and does a sequence of technique in the partner's hands/forearms, etc. Punches, elbows, knee kicks, head strike and shoulder strike to the body. We were adding techniques bit by bit, one person from each group was running and doing this exercise between all the groups. In the last 15 mins we did pads - in those group of three we did gyaku tsuki, mae and mawashi geri. I was in a group with two guys, so I was definitely not pulling my punches, just the opposite, I did my best, and had fun :)
    The class ended there, but there was still 30 mins for the brown and black belts to practice kata. We did two each for Shisochin, Sanseru and Sepai. Then we left, we had planned an online meeting in 45 mins and we live quite a distance away and needed to buy dinner along the way.

Something big is happenning within IOGKF. We've been watching with disbelief and sensei today briefed the yudansha and dojo instructors from our Czech branch and we discussed and decided on our next direction, unanimously.

axelb likes this.
  11. Nachi

Friday 16th September

Taiji home practice
    The weather was not nice, so I didn't go outside, and did Laojia Yilus - 6 of them throughout the day. And once 25 moves while waiting for my lunch to heat up.

Also a 5 km walk in the evening.

12. Nachi

Saturday 17th September

We spent the day visiting instructor L, so obviously, it was a Taiji day! Apart from a walk. We didn't do anything too intense, though, most of the time was spent teachin her cousin and Sett a bit of the spear form. They both knew a couple of moves, but they grasped it rather quickly.
    We also did 5 moves to 4 directions (5 rounds) and instructor L and I also one whole spear and 3 sword forms. It was a great day.

Sunday 18th September

We stayed overnight and when it stopped raining we taught Sett a few more spear moves so he had about a quarter of the form.
    We went home around lunch and I did about an hur long solo training of 3 spear, 8 sword forms and 2 Laojia Yilus.
    We planned a cycling trip today, but it kept raining on and off and it was fairly windy, so we decided against it.

13. Nachi

Monday 19th September

Karate Kids
    I came 20 mins late. There were many more children compared to last week, yet no one was disturbing the class, which was great. We did some kihon, some running and pads.

I realized I wasn't feeling particularly well. My throat ached and I didn't have that much energy. As if a cold was trying to get me. Hopefully not, though.

Karate adults
    Sanchin kata 3x, Junbi Undo, workoit same as with the kids. Since then I wasn't doing much. We did some kihon and I was trying to speedily help and explain to the two newcomers. Later we did some basic techniques in pairs. Sett was organizing, I was going around helping and correcting. Some running at the end, but the two of us were pad holders. I didn't do much exercise today, but considering I wasn't feeling all that energetic, I didn't mind.

14. Nachi

Tuesday 20th September

Skipped morning class, not enough time for work.

Taiji Kung-fu
    Today I spent the class prscticing push-hans with jnstructor L. Later we were supposed to join our junior sis with practicing the sword, but the teacher came by, tried with each of us, gave us some tips, so we spent more time trying them out.
    For the last 10 mins, though, I was asket to go stretch with the junior sis. The teacher seems to be making it my task to help her stretch and do some of those crazy kung-fu gymnastics I can in no way do...
    We first trued lifting legs slowly, then we stretched by the wall bars and lastly, as I was asked, I pushed her leg up when she was pressed againt the wall bars. I had her push against me as hard as she could and then relax. She was elated that she didn't know this trick and she immediately stretched further. My got, I swear her heel was right above her shoulder, toes pintimg dowd, just below the next bar. She's crazy flexible. I tried to aligb her properly, trying to hide my awe...

Taiji sword
    A rather normal class - one Laojia Yilu, then basic exercises and working on the first half of the form. ¨¨

Laojia Erlu - Cannon Fist form
    Wuji meditation and Laojia Yilu for a warm-up. Today we started with the Cannon Fist form. First 4 moves were the same as in Laojia Yilu, so we practiced the next, the fist fajin. I am glad the teacher said it wasn't the easiest one. If it was, I'd be worried how hard the rest of the form would be. It's not undoable, though, I guess I mostly got the mechanics, now I need to practice it over and over to be able to figure out the flow nad how to put energy into the fajin.

15. Nachi

Wednesday 21st September

Taiji Kung-fu
    I joined from the beginning today. It's a class of mostly teenagers, though two more adults joined, too. We warmed up and stretched, did 5 moves to 4 directions, then shortly worked in pairs checking each other's stance by pushing or pulling.We were them split into groups, I was asked to go practice the sword form with four others. Apart from my juniro sis, whom I learned teh form with, the three others learned a shortened version. It was basically the beginning and one more slash and bigger turn at the end. We practiced that over and over as instructed, I just corrected a couple things I noticed. The teacher later came and we worked on, well, one move. It was nice, though. In the last 15 mins there was stretching and some talking. I went with my junior sis to the wallbars. She asked if I am going to torture her again like yesterday -_- What the...? She clearly doesn't yet know what torture means! :D I planned on doing that if there was an opportunity, but we were all called over. When the class ended, the cheeky little thing found me to ask if I could help her with the stretching after all. If she calls it torture, then she clearly is a masochist! :D The next class was about to begin, so I had friends come over to ask what was I doing to her, as it looked crazy. It's not my fault she's like rubber! What a thankless task I was given... :rolleyes::confused:

Taiji - 19 moves

Silk reeling, then 19 moves a couple of times. Most of the class was spent practicing Stepping back and Wrapping upper arms. Lately, I think I figured this move out! Well, more or less! I finally understood the motion of the lower body through my home practice. It seems to be what the teacher is doing. There would be nuances, but the base is there, I'd say. It is, however, harder to do slowly. I tend to just: "Screw it, I'll just run through it!" and through this practice I think I found the way! :)

Taiji - assisting
    So it appears I will help as an instructor in this class, like last season, after all. I did the meditation and silk reeling. My legs were already a bit tired. When we finished, neither of the teachers was there. Like last time. So I did what I did last time, again. I split the groups, told the more advanced to run through their 27 moves and I did the 5 moves to 4 directions with the less advanced.
    When we finished, the teachers took over. The head teacher beckoned me over to the more advanced group and we practiced High Patting on Horse basically the whole class. I, like the others, also got some corrections, or tips or what to focus on in general. It was a nice class. By the muscles around my right knee were already hurting and tired.

I am having a sore throat still, but I am feeling pretty well apart from that. It's probably just the sudden fall weather.

axelb likes this.
  16. Nachi

Thursday: No training today. Spent the day working and baking butter cookies for my cousin's wedding tommorrow.

Friday: Wedding, no training. We left around 6 pm for Slovakia in order to make it to our hotel's check-in before 10 pm.

Saturday 24th September

LAUGARICIO GASSHUKU IN TRENČÍN, SLOVAKIA
    We've alrready been to this annual event I think at least 5 times, but it was cancelled for the past couple of years because covid. The invited senseis - senior IOGKF instructors this year were Nakamura-sensei (8th dan, World Chief instructor) and Jorge Monteiro sensei (8th dan, Portugal chief instructor). Not long ago, sensei Ernie Molyneux (8th dan, England Chief instructor and IOGKF Vice Chief instructor) announced he'd be coming to teach as well, which was great news!
    At the event we also learned that two more senseis (whom I haven't met before) arrived, sensei Steve from the UK and sensei Henrik from Denmark. If I understood well, they originally came to train, but were of too high a grade (7th dan), and they were asked to (mostly) teach instead. Therefore we could make more groups and get more specific training for our grade.

Sett and I arrived early today, like 20 mins before the training's start. However, our sensei, as usual, was nowhere to be seen. Sensei Nakamura saw us and came to ask where our sensei was (5 mins before the start). I swore he should be somewhere around already, but... when the start was declared and we all lined up according to our grade, sensei was still nowhere to be seen. But our second sensei, who magically appeared out of nowhere - meaning he must have jsut arrived, said he was already changing. So sensei Nakamura declared we all wait for him and to stare at him when he comes. Which we all did the moment he opened the door. My gosh :D Sensei was a bit startled and apparently thinking what to do since we were already lined up. I was close, so I beckoned to him to go line up at the front at his usual place, where he was greeted by Nakamura-sensei and the gasshuku started. At the beginning, some people, including us, received certificates from the grading at the last event in this area - June in Bratislava.

Junbi Undo - Nakamura sensei
    The typical warm-up and stretching + a bit of kihon.

Kumite drills - Ernie sensei
    Sensei Ernie asked the small ones to go to the front, so a few of us women did. I stood next to a guy, a friend, who's affiliated with our dojo, but spent several years abroad training with bigger dojos. I caught up to him grade-wise, but he's senior to me and his technique has always been great. Sensei Ernie recognized him and asked him to be his partner for demonstrations. Wehn we were told to make pairs, as I stood right next to him, we paired up. I thought it a great opportunity to have a great partner, he may have been a bit reluctant, but I think we were able to practice well. I enjoyed it so much. I tried to push for speed in the drills and do my best not to flinch when his kicks to the torso hit close to the solar plexus. I had a lot of fun, really. Sensei was going around, correcting, so I got a couple of tips - like how to deal with bigger guys in a particular takedown, to change it up a little. My current partner wasn't really bigger than me, but I tried on him anyways. When doing some kick combinations, I actually heard: "Excellent!" From sensei for a mawashi geri - jodan ura-mawashi combo. I don't think it was as elegant as I lost my balance and my landing wasn't as great, but sensei probably did not see that part :oops:
    Anyways, I had a really great time, and in the end, hopefully, my partner too, as he left with: "Super" and a smile on his face. I am glad I got to practice with him :)

Sanchin kata - sensei Monteiro
    We practice dhte kata, sensei did some explaining and then came some partner drills for this kata. We tied a loose belt around one person who was supposed to make sideways ducking steps, which the person holding the onds of the belt would pull, providing resistance. I paired up with a friend from a different dojo of the same country, and asked him to pull a bit more since sesnei's instructions were to make us sweat. We had time when we finished, both of us, so we went for another round. I was stepping, he was pulling, again, not that hard. But suddenly, in the middle, he started pulling real hard, much more so than before. I though: "Ah, ok, this will be a challenge." only had space for like 4 more steps, pushing into the floor as hard as I could, when I turned to the side to see my friend, and I saw two wide smiles. One was his, the other was sensei Monteiro over his shoulder, as he was holding my partner's forearms, pulling hard on them. :D Ah, no wonder!
    All the senseis ,including Monteiro sensei are very humble and friendly people. As for sensei Monteiro, I only talked to him once when he was teaching in Prague, three years ago. To my surprise, he did still remember my face and asked if I was from Slovakia. Well, I wasn't, but that was close enough.

Sepai kata - Nakamura sensei
    Last block of today. I wanted to go a bit to the front wihtin our group so that I would see. I had some trouble in the last block. But I remembered that this time our group wasn't of first and second dan grades, But second dan up to sixth dan. I realized this and left the front to the seniors, I should be in the back (but I didn't want to go all the way back, and didn'T even have time for it now). I at least stepped into the next line. But the senseis in front for soem reason left a vacant hole right in front of me. I was now obviously the one person too many in the front line, so I gyu pushed me to just step to the front. Which I found not a good idea, until a sensei from the first line told me not to be shy and come up. I I stood right in the center in front of sensei in a line of 6th and 5th dans :confused: My gosh, my bad kata will stand out even more like this! :D The block was great, though. We went through Sepai once, then step by step as sensei was explaining some details for each technique and we got to try. I haven't practiced Sepai too much lately and when we were asked to start fomr this step and do this technique I was a bit confused and stood turned the wrong way. I obviously did notice, but not before sensei called: "Nachi, turn left!" There was also time for questions. Basically only the higher grades from the first line were asking, mostly about details. Then we did the kata one more time. I focused hard to remember some of the new japanese/okinawan expressions sensei used, and all the details to note them down later.

The training lasted from 4 hours - 9-13, with abotu 10 mins breaks in between the blocks. Today wasn't very exhausting (apart from sensei Ernie's block, but it wasn't particularly so), mostly working on technique, which is what we mostly come for. It was awesome. I really really looked forward to this event and wasn't dissappointed. On the contrary. The three teaching senseis were very nice, very kind and helpful.
    Over 1600 kcal today.

In the evening, everyone went for a dinner. We sat at a large table with our friends, but sensei Nakamura came by to sit for a while, as he usually does with all the tables. Sensei Nakamura mentioned there may not be the huge Okinawan BUdosai next year, maybe the next, and perhaps, instead, we could make some bigger event in Europe, but it is quite close, so it may be difficult, and where. Our sensei didn't wait with offering Prague. We're ready to organize and Prague is a dead center of Europe - close for everyone and relatively cheap to come. I am not sure if something would come out of it, but we may be busy if something does.
    Our sensei then also invited sensei Steve over. I didn't know sensei Steve, but as I was sitting next to him, I couldn't help spitting out some tinyly innapropriate remarks when he was telling a story, until he looked me in the eye and asked for my name :oops: (sometimes I should just keep my mouth shut) Sensei was also a very nice person, inviting us to come visit his dojo anytime. Apparently he's a friend of the two senseis from around Liverpool we know quite well. Which surprised me, as... sensei Steve spoke a nice easily understandable English (he probably paid attention to how he spoke so that we could understand easily, though). While with ... like, the other sensei, I sometimes have no clue what the heck he's saying with his weird accent XD

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    axelb likes this.
  17. Nachi

Sunday 25th September

LAUGARICIO GASSHUKU IN TRENČÍN, SLOVAKIA
    Again, we arrived relatively early and went to the kitchen room to make tea/coffee. There were a few people. including sensei Monteiro, whom I chatted with for a while. It is awesome that the IOGKF senior instructors and senior belts in general, those I know, all are very kind an approachable.

Junbi Undo - Monteiro sensei
    The usual warm-up. Sensei focused on Tai Otoshi a lot and we spent maybe half of the time with footwork. Sensei had many interesting things to say, and we learned a thing about tsugi ashi we didn't know or did differently. We spent so much time with this that the time was up before stretching the arms and neck. Nevermind, though, it was very interesting.

Kakie - Ernie sensei
    Sett decided to train today. He wasn't well, yet, but as we noticed, since becomeing black belts, the seminars tend to be mor theory-oriented, rather than working out hard. As the kyu grades were. Sure enough, today was like that, too, so Sett tried. I paired up with him. We first did a couple of types of kakie. Sensei gave tips and we tried. I focused on lowering my center of gravity that I forgot to use my back muscles as sensei reminded me when walking past.
    We then did the most typical kakie and tried a few locks. Including one for the wrist. Sensei was showing with another sensei. It totally did look like it was fairly effective, but as sensei reminded, this wasn't effective on some women with flexible wrists. Yeah... When sensei walked by we asked for help as this just doesn't hurt me. Sensei was prepared adn tried a different twist putting pressure supposedly on the forearm bones, twisting them, but... no, not pressuring enough. If sensei twisted more, I think it might have worked, but he didn't as he worried my wrists would be too supple and while this doesn't pul the tendons, if he put more pressure, at some point my wrist would snap. SO we were told to just work on different locks. Well, Sett was.
    At the end we tried Hazushi waza - escape techniques - how to turn a lock on me into a different one. That was very nice and fun.

Tensho - Nakamura sensei
    We first did Tensho on count, then sensei spent a lot of time talking about body structures, soft and hard, how to practice them, how they work and how to use them. Sensei had a way to explain this very comprehensively. It was very interesting and sensei's demontration was impressive as usual. I will need to think about and work on these principles later. I could also see similarities with Taiji here. Well, there are only so many ways to effectively use the body, I guess.
    Sensei also talked about abdominal breathing. I wasn't sure about how sensei meant something so I had a dilemma if I should ask potentially a stupid question or wonder about that and possibly trying to do something wrong. Sensei kindly explained and I was glad I asked. I indeed got the context wrong before and sensei made it an important point to explain to everyone.
    Then we tried the fist three out of five Tensho bunkai and then worked on the Tensho hand techniques relaxed and very fast, trying to use our body. One Tensho kata at the end. This was an awesome block, despite us not actually doing that much exercise :)

Sanseru kata - Ernie sensei
    Since not all people understand English (well enough), each sensei usually has a translator to Slovak (as Slovaks ...and Czechs are the majority here). The translator is usually whoever volunteers from the group. So the first thing sensei asked who spoke English well, looking at Sett. We usually didn't volunteer and leave the translating to Slovaks, but Czech and Slovak are similar enough. Sett wasn't particularly overjoyed, but took up the challenge. At the exact moment a guy next to me (whom I didn't even know), tried to push me forward. The heck? How could he possibly even know if I spoke English? Was it the question I had last block? Anyway, Sett was already on his way, so when sensei's eyes landed on me, I'd just wave my arms as in: "Nononono, no need, Sett's already onto it!" It is not that I don't understand sensei, but understanding and tranlating are two different things. Remembering all the info he says before there's a chance to translate the bulk of it and finding the right Czech words (I sometimes struggle to even fins the right words for my thoughts)... ergh, I'd rather let Sett have that honor :D As he was standing next to sensei, he was also used as a partner for demonstrating the bunkai. Trying to remember to translate everything, to do the technique well, remember what sensei did and translate it quickly, yeah, I could see him sweating :D But he actually did a really good job.
    The block was nice. we even managed to do all the bunkai, some slightly different to how we do them. I actually liked this way better, mostly.

We had about 10 mins left. A friend was thinking maybe there will be some quick harsh work-out for the last five minutes, as it used to happen in the past. I thought there just wasn't enough time, senseis would need some time for a few words at the end, etc., yet he called it. Sensei Nakamura had the half of the front line join the teaching senseis making a line of 12 people. Each would count to ten tsuki, while we'd all stand in shiko dachi the whole time. And so we did. None was left out. All the senior senseis would stand in shiko dachi and do tsuki, too. They are all actively practicing karatekas after all. I actually really appreciated them leading by example. It was hard to keep the stance all the time. My legs hurt. I thought Taiji made my mucles stronger, but unfortunately, as I had a hunch before, shikodachi uses the different thigh muscles, mostly.
    With that and senseis speeches, the gasshuku concluded. It was a great one. I looked forward to it since the last one. Unfortunately, I am not sure when the next similarly close to us one will be. Probably in March/April.

18. Nachi

Monday 26th September

Karate Kids
    There weren't many children when the class started, only about 5-6. 4 more newbirs came slightly later, though. It turned out in the end, we had a majority of newcomers today. Sett wasn't in full health yet and had a sore throat, so I taught today. It was very pleasant, all the children were well behaved. We did some running, practiced getting up without using hands. Spent some time practicing the very basic footwork - sayu and added tsuki. And a game to finish.
    One of the regular boys announced at the beginning that a new girl would be coming. She dud and was a timid one. The only word she uttered the whole class was her name when asked and I barely heard it, so the boy told me in the end. It was a bit unusual, but it is getting common in the end. It was only at the final bowing that the boy - her spokesman - told us she was Ukrainian and doesn't really speak Czech -_-
    Might have as well told us sooner! She was doing fine in class, but had I known I would make sure to pay more attention to explaining to her and making sure she knew what was going on... Her name was actually the same as a common Czech one with one different letter, so I couldn't tell.

Karate adults
    The adult class was fairly full, around 16 people.
    I did some partner bodyweight exercises at the beginning, finished with a fight to untie each other's belt. Most people don't wear gi, so I handed out some spare belts, but there wasn't enought, so one group was fighting, the remaining 9 doing crunches. I joined them in the middle, but probably caught up doing 2 reps at one count as by this point their counting slowed down. Then we changed the group. One of the new teenagers got hurt when his partner fell on his thumb in a bad position. I took care of jim, while Sett took over the class. It looked like it hurt quite a bit, si I had him put it under cold water Nd called his mom. The biy was getting dizzy, soI laid him on a bench outside the dojo. His mom arrived shortly, being very kind. By the time she did, the biy was able to move his thumb, so hopefully it wasn't broken, and he parted already in a better mood with "see you on Thursday".
    In this class I planned to do at least a couple of the kumite drills we did with Ernie sensei on Saturday. Sett alteady worked with the class on the first one. But the younger ones and the new struggled with coordinating this in pairs. I took over for the second one, doing it first solo, step by step, then in pairs and changing partners at the end. I felt like both classes went really well today (well, except for the injury), so that made me happy :)

19. Nachi

Tuesday 27th September

Morning Taiji
    We started with meditation led by the usual instructor. The teacher came to wuickly discuss something with him. When he was nearly out the door, he turned, came all the way back to me to straighten my back. I thought it must have been straight more or less, but he again forced me into a position I couldnp't possibly hold, much less relax in. And it obviously wasn't perfect yet.
    Our group then did the whole form and worken on one move two people whom I didn't know didn't know.
    As planned, fir nearly half an hour this class would start learning the sword. We started with the most basic exercise - circling the sword in 8s around the body. We worked on that for a while, the teacher went around correcting. For once he had nothing to say to me. He probably decided to let my back be for now.
    Then I thought we'd try the same circles in opposite direction. Instead, I was told to come to the front and do the same thing, but in a wider diagonal stance. I did and the teacher left for the other group. Which made me unsure what to do. Should I just be there as reference and let the poeple struggle with figuring it out, as they were struggling even with the circles or... should I explain? I wasn't asked to do that and I learned the sword recently.. ah, whatever, it felt weird just watching people struggle. The teacher surely wouldn't mind, right?
    I did two sword forms by myself when the class ended.

20. Nachi

Tuesday 27th September

Taiji kung-fu

For the start we were told to warm-up with some running exercises and that task fell to me. We were asked to do the kicking dynamic stretches, which, however, I didn't remember all that well, so I pushed the task onto a younger, though much more senior instructor, who also participated in the class.
    For the next half an hour I practiced push hands with my regular partner. We got some tips.
    In the last 15 mins we were trying a simple application. In karate this would be pulling the partner, stepping into and breaking his elbow with my forearm. Here, however, we needed to lead the partner past us with their own push turn our body with their strenght to push them in their shoulder to get them off balance. We couldn't get it right. The teacher was there to help. I was told to try the technique on him. He's like 25 cm taller than me, though. No way for my shoulder to reach his shoulder. He didn't think so, however, urging me to push him higher. I got up from the stance, was tiptoeing on my rear leg and straightened my front as much as I could, yet still couldn't reach. The teacher said I was tall enough, though XD If it was someone else I'd tell him if he wanted me to reach, he needed to go for a lower stance, but... :D

Taiji sword

Laojia Yilu at the start and some basic sword exercises. Then working on the form and adding a new move. I didn’t practice the sword form the previous week. Falling out of my routine, I could tell it wasn’t as smooth as it used to…

Taiji - Laojia Erlu

I kind of forgot some details from the move we learned last week, as I didn’t have any time/energy for practice at home. Also, probably because this was my 15th hour of training in the past 4 days, my body started having some aches and didn’t feel fresh. I had a painful spot in my back, which didn’t happen for a while. It was hard to move freely, so I skipped a short part of the teachers explanation as I needed to go sideways, lay on the floor and twist to let my spine crack. Ah, it felt much better then.
    We then practiced what we knew and added the next move, which was a familiar one, but there was an unfamiliar turning/jumping transition which wasn’t easy to do well. We practiced these two moves for the rest of the class. I didn’t do too well, but I think this is just a matter of a bit of drilling. I shall start tomorrow.

On my way home, my body felt like I took a beating. I also had a painful spot somewhere between my right leg and spine, sending random bouts of short acute pain when walking, which is something happening to me from time to time, though this was a slightly different spot. It also was an on and off thing.

On my way out with instructor L I met the teacher. I’ll be going to his three-day seminar a month from now and he asked what I was planning of working on. I had no particular plans, though. The teacher mentioned that for instructor L and I, in order to improve now, he'd like us to start working on timing the form. To learn to make it 20 mins long as well as 7. To be flexible with the speed, to learn the transitions well and the difference in movement and mechanics in different tempos. He said he might have us practice separately from the group sometimes as to focus on our own timing. I am not sure if there would be room for that, but well, it sounded nice and like a challenge. I can imagine shortening the form to 7 mins, since in my personal tempo it takes like 9 (instead of 14, ehm), but 20 mins will be a huge challenge.

Over 1300 kcal today.

axelb likes this.