Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

On Wednesday, I was just about getting ready to go to Taiji - the class where I am helping as an instructor. About half an hour before I needed to leave, sensei wrote that he was ill and that he had a positive antigen test....
    Oh no. Since I wasn't feeling too well over Easter and had muscle aches much like when I had covid, I immediately thought there could be a chance I had it, too.
    I found a number for my Taiji teacher and prayed he'd answer during this time when classes are running. I wanted to explain the situation and well, have him decide whether he needed me there or if it would be ok for me to stay home. Either way, I wanted to let him know in advance. I ended up taking a rest home, luckily I was able to contact him.

Thursday
    I went for PCR first thing in the morning, as well as Sett and as well as sensei. Neither of us would go to class today, sensei and I weren't too healthy, Sett ended up with trouble with the knee. The sensei who took over last time had a car crash and has injured his neck, luckily not very seriously... So the training would be tauht by a friend brown belt who used to teach kids etc., but didn't have much time for karate lately...

I just got my test results early, and I am negative, phew. That's great. Honestly, I kind of expected it would turn up positive. My symptoms started a week ago, but hopefully it wasn't covid, then.

2. Nachi

Monday 25th April

I didn't train since last Tuesday. I am feeling quite good, but still have stupid cold. Since neither me, nor Seth were in full health, we decided to skip the huge online weekend Gasshuku, which is a pity, but it wouldn't be worth it if I wasn't feeling well.
    In hindside I am glad I did that as in today's karate, I wasn't feeling too well, either. I felt weak, stiff, knees hurt a tiny bit and Sanchin kata didn't go well at all as I found out I had no energy to keep my muscles even remotely tight.

Karate Kids
    A lot of kids today - 17. We had a new boy, a Ukrainian. We worried a bit about communication. Our languages are a bit similar, but not that much. I didn't really hear the boy talk except for his name, yes or no, but when I said something to him, he nodded or answered, so he probably understood. Which was a pleasant surprise.
    My voice doesn't sound too healthy yet and it takes a bit more energy to talk, so I was happy Sett took over today. I helped correcting the kids and tried to avoid strenuous activities. I still thought that I'll probably just go home after this class.

Karate Adults
    There was no break at all, though, so I ended up staying. I thought I could just sit and rest, but I knew I'd feel awkward doing that, so I participated normally. Sett was kind, though, and the class was very technical, so I didn't do all that much. Well, I was in the front demonstrating Renzoku kumite a bit, but slowly. I was correcting others, just the running and Sanchin at the beginning wasn't the best.
    Thing was, other than stuffy nose and a tiny little cough and sorethroat, I was perfectly fine in the weekend and today. And at this point it's hard to tell if the cause really isn't just somehow due to my allergy.

3. Nachi

Tuesday 26th April

Morning Taiji
    Still not feeling the best, but Taiji was better than karate.
    The whole form at the beginning. The usual guy who is in the front wasn't here today and although I stood not too in the front, I realised basically everyone was lines up behind me, so I a little awkwardly took the lead.
    We then practiced the two kicks as last time and the turn after that. I didn't work too much on the turn. When my knees hurt for months, since it's a turn on one leg, I figured a way to use my other foot to help turn me, which is a bit of a cheating and isn't a proper technique. So I tried to work on the harder version the teacher showed us today. And, yeah, it was harder. As for the two kicks before it, we worked on the details and on making the moves flow, and I got a very nice correction. I couldn't do it too well then and there, but I was very happy about it. I hope to learn it, soon.

4. Nachi

Tuesday 26th April

Taiji Kungfu
    I was finally going to ride my bike to training and save about 30 mins! I had therefore plenty of time. I got ready, put my helmet and everything on, sat on the bike, turned the key in the ignition and... nothing. Seriously, the battery was charged last week and I rode it on Thursday! I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, but there was even no light.
    So I put my helmet back home, went to catch the tram and arrived 30 mins late... -_-
    I found the class outdoors doing something that looked almost like sparring. Well, people were pushing against each other. There was an odd number of people, so I had a partner ready. I, however, had no idea what the goal of the pushing and competing was. The teacher kindly showed me and had me try with him. I was then paired with a guy, who was currently partner-less. He wasn't pushing all that much, probably going easy on me as a smaller woman. But, well, I couldn't really do much without him pushing properly. And he didn't seem to want to throw me off, either, so I ended up pushing him off balance while I was the iniciator of the push, which I shouldn't have, but....
    Then he started to push a bit more, but he didn't seem to want to make it into who pushes who first, so we more like took turns.
    Then I was paired with instructor L as usual and we tried something similar but pushing hand against hand like in the basic push hands. It turned out I probably wasn't even able to push the ideal way. The teacher came by and told me more or less the same as my partner. Then he tried with her, too, and also found several problems. It looks like we'll need to practice just pushing properly first :D But the teacher said he was planning to dedicate this class to this a bit more, which is great. The class was over before I knew it.

Taiji sword
    In the sword class we started with meditation, Lao Jia Yilu and Lao Jia Erlu (not me, I don't know it). When that was done, half of the class was unfortunately over. We proceeded with the sword exercises and the form. I was a bit worried as I didn't try it at all at home in the last couple of weeks and we did the new stuff in only like 5-10 mins at the end of the class. So I was a bit lost. Well, I did it badly, but went through the motions the first couple of times, but when the teacher moved in front of me to watch... I completely forgot what I was doing XD
    We reviewed these moves and added one more at the end of the class.

Taiji - Lao Jia Yilu
    The last class was Lao Jia Yilu and then practicing a sequence of three moves - Golden Rooster Stands on One Leg, Moving Back and Wrapping Upper Arms and White Crane Spreads Its Wings.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  5. Nachi

Wednesday 27th April

My cold doesn't seem to be getting much better. I finally called my allergologist today to get a recipe for some medication. I got plenty.... I asked whether symptoms like that of cold could be caused by allergy and it seems they could.
    I received instructions of what (not) to do and feel like I might as well go into quarantine again :D Well, I won't be that strict, but I hope to get better.

Taiji - assisting
    Meditation and silk reeling. Then I was asked to start with the less advanced group this time, who just learned the first 3 moves. We went over those over and over again, I kept reminding about the important parts of the moves - where to turn feet, where to shift weight, to straighten back, etc. Two ladies at the front half complained that they're a bit confused by my stances. They said my stances were lower than those of the guys. I was like: "Oh, ok, I'll try to do higher ones, then?" (which I then forgot), but the lady continues: "When your stances are so low, it makes me subconsciously step wider, too!" to which I couldn't help, but: "Well, that's the point!" :D

Later I switched with the teacher and went to the other group. They were going through the form, and I was asked to observe and try to help them work on what they don't do to well. The group was extremely small today, only three people, one of which is a bit of an outlier, there to practice what he wants, so if he didn't come join us, I let him be. He came later, and practiced with us, but I then mainly focused on the other two. It looked to me like we could work on iniciating the movement from the legs and hips and using the movement of the body to move the arms. That would be more easily achieved if they managed to get their back aligned better and not turn in the waist etc. So I explained this idea and we tried the form, foculsing on this, I reminded about this in a couple of the trickier parts. We went through the 25 moves twice before the end of class. We ended up chatting a bit after that, but that was already when the class officially ended, so I guess it didn't matter. I tried to not let the chatter interfere with the class, so I had to be the strict instructor: "Yeah, yeah, true, but let's do the form once again, chat later!"

axelb likes this.
  6. Nachi

Thursday

Not feeling the best, still, and skipped karate as Sett planned hojo unod and Sanchin. I did not feel up to that...

Saturday

I spent the whole afternoon gardening. Finally. It was a bit late, but finally a weekend without rain, hail or feeling sick. My dad came to help me, thankfully. It wasn't very physically difficult except for when I used to how to dig around the edge of my garden bed to cut any roots of bushes nearby. That was fairly hard. My dad wanted to help, and dag a little, but soon gave up, so I did nearly all of it, putting my strenght into it. Unfortunately my back hurt pretty good after and I had sharp pain near the tailbone which I used to have sometimes, but hadn't had for a while. Later, Sett, my dad and I went nearby for a Burning of the Witches Festival. We walked there, had a sausage, a few drinks and chatted by the remains of the burning bonfire.

Sunday
    My dad came to ask for some medication to battle cold that he had. He later said he had three antigene tests come out positive.... Oh boy.
    It's beenn about 2-3 weeks that all anti-covid measures were cancelled as the disease was supposedly not spreading as much anymore. Sunday evening, Sett was starting to cough a little and not feel that well, either.

Monday
    Sett's antigene test came out positive. I am still feeling ok.
    It's just when we have Taiji and karate seminars planned for the weekends. Damn it. According to the new rules, I am officially not in quarantine even if Sett's PCR come out positive. But until I get my PCR, which I'd probably go for Wednesday or so, I should probably avoid triainigs as well :/
    I just contacted sensei if he could possibly teach karate today. Man, this sucks.

7. Nachi

Thursday

So Sett has covid, indeed. He's quite ok, but should not meet people for a week. We planned a Taiji seminar together for the weekend. It is such a pity. Today I went for a PCR only to learn starting today it is not covered by insurance, unless ym GP sends me here. I called my GP and she'd only send me if I got a positive antigene test from her and invited me to come to her.
    Sett went to accompany me to the hospital (only walking outside all the way), and he wanted to go for a walk, so we walked to my GP and back home later. I am indeed negative, so I'll be going for the weekend. I feel a bit bad going alone, but I am not ill and I have already paid, so me not going would cause more trouble, I guess. And other than being infectitious and a bit tired, Sett seems ok. We walked for over 8 km today. My first activity since weekend. At least I spent the free time working on my art project.

axelb likes this.
  8. Nachi

Friday 6th May
    Taiji seminar
    I did one more test, but as expected, came negative just as the previous three I had done. Therefore I borrowed Sett’s car, picked up two people along the way and went left for the Taiji seminar alone. What a pity.
    I chatted with the teacher and others a bit, then did Lao Jia Yi Lu twice nad went once through the spear form. I think I forgot one or two moves at the end...
    I haven’t been training much lately - in Taiji and in general, so I am not feeling very strong and good when practicing, but it should come back quickly, hopefully.
    After dinner we had official training - silk reeling (we all got hecked and corrected) and then the whole Lao Jia Yi Lu again, after a bit of stretching because someone asked about that.
    My years ago hurt hamstring was a tiny bit painful, most likely due to my gardenwork with the hoe last weekend.
    Then we moved inside and talked till about 10:30 pm, when we all were really sleepy.
    It’s so good to be back here! What a pity Sett couldn’t come in the end.

axelb likes this.
  9. Nachi

Saturday 7th May

Taiji seminar
    I couldn’t fall asleep well yesterday, despite being really tired and I didn’t feel like getting up today :D Therefore I started my practice at 7:45. I did two forms before breakfast. It is nice to be outside here in such a nice weather.
    After breakfast we all practiced the first five moves, polishing the principle. Something I was told many times to do, but couldn`t figure it ou. I think I finally understood today! I finally got the feeling for how to keep the strenght in one of the two legs (hips) at all times. It felt great and all the different reminders and corrections clicked as I finally understood how they all led to the one and the same principle! The teacher checked on me and actually said yes, this was it, apart from adjusting my posture - stil straightening my back and making me lean backward even a bit more. I am still happy, this was great and everyone was really happy we had the opportunity to practice this and we’d definitely could use more practice.
    In the last hour before lunch we practiced the spear. I groupped with instructor L and the teacher did spend some time with us, giving us plenty of corrections. There’s a lot of work on the spear form for me if I want to make it better...

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  10. Nachi

Saturday 7th May
    Taiji seminar
    After lunch we continued practising the same thing in the form, but in the next couple of moves. It took probably a couple of hours. We then tried some pushing and absorbing the force and riturning it in pairs. I just couldn't figure this out. I was paired with instructor L as usual, then the teacher said we can change partners if we wanted, and so we did. I was partnered up with a different guy. I could tell he was doing a bit of a mistake, but still did much better then me, so I asked him for advice. My struggles were probaby heard by others as another guy came by and told me my back was crooked. I could sort of tell, but my back was very tired by this point and I didn't have the energy to keep it straight especially when pushing, but I did try. Eventually this guy grabbed me and tried with me. Oh, he was pretty good. He could do this really well and really naturally. I've been seeing him in classes before, but I never talked to him. He's always wearing Judo pants so I asked him if he did Judo before. He said he did, but only a while, but he used to do Jiu Jitsu for much longer, being an instructor in his club and doing martial arts for over 20 years. Well, no wonder. I did my best to follow his instructions, but although I was able to like "catch" the push in my back heel, I couldn't return it. After all the focusing on the slight technical nuances, I think my mental capacities had already been exhausted for today and I just couldn't put his instructions into practice. I think I'll need to try another day.
    I then joined the small group the teacher was teaching the beginning of the spear form. There are a few moves giving me trouble and I got corrections, which was nice. However, my mind really did feel black, no mental energy anymore, so I just wrapped up my today's training shortly after the teacher left. There was only about 15 mins left till dinner anyway.
    After dinner the teacher was talking a bit about some theory and we chatted. I went outside to go to my tiny house by the forrest, but ended up chatting with the Jiu Jitsu gyu who was helping me earlier today. i was really tired and planned to go to bed early today no matter what, but we ended up chatting for around two hours, so I only left after midnight. We were chatting outside, so I got pretty cold and the tiny house was a bit cold, too, so I couldn't fall asleep for the next hour and half, despite feeling fairly exhausted.

11. Nachi

Sunday 8th May

Taiji seminar
    Having fallen asleep late and being tired didn't prevent me from waking up at 6 am, feeling like I haven't slept at all. I luckily fell asleep for one more hour and took my time getting ready, only going for practice at 7:45. I started the form, focusing on what we've been practicing yesterday. The teacher came shortly after and his greeting to me was: "Wrong!". He said my hip just moved in a wrong direction or a wrong way. I tried to do it again, but only got "Wrong!" about five more times despite barely moving the hip at all. Ah, screw this! I joined the silk reeling warm up trying to figure this out.
    We talked a bit abotu maybe practicing fajins in regular classes in one of those I attend, too, where the people know the whole form. The teacher seemed to seriously think of this, so I hope he'll do that, that would be great.

After breakfast we again practiced the same thing as yesterday and a different move from the next portion of the form focusing on the movement on hips and arms and a fajin. That was fun, I think I've this fajin more or less figured out and later tried to halp a friend. When we had time for weapons, this time I took my sword as I really needed to practice the last few new moves. There was one more friend learning it together with me, so we practiced together. I missed the last class, so I missed the nowest move, but luckily, as I hoped, the teacher came by and explained it to me and I practiced that, too. I caught back up with the group, great!

After lunch as usual, we all showed a piece of the form to get the teacher's general corrections and directions. My turn was for the kicking part with another friend. I was told I had some thing I needed to improve in two moves in there, but in generaly, the teacher would like me to get enough solo practice - drilling the form at least 2-3 times in a row, regularly, at least a few times a week. Ah, I should do that, I know, but I guess I won't be really pushign this until after our karate grading, if we go for it...

It was an awesome seminar this time. Most of us were in one group practicing the nuances of the form and all of us were very happy about this kind of nitpicking. If I can learn this well, I can tell my form would improve! It was a great weekend. What a pity Sett couldn't come with me.

12. Nachi

Monday 9th May

Karate Kids
    Sett is still is isolation, so I was teaching alone today. Today, 5 or 6 Ukraininan children arrive. They are all welcome, of course, sensei invited them, but it was a bit more complicated communication-wise. Ukrainian and Czech languages are similar, but not to the point we could easily understand one another. More like some words. Anyway, I couldn't expect the kids to speak any other language and I for sure don't speak theirs. One boy, howewer, understood and spoke English, at least a bit. I mostly sppoke to him and asked him to translate to the others occasionally, so he understood at least something. Also, my pronunciation isn't the greatest, either, so...
    Since there were so many newcomers, we practiced tsuki and mae geri today. And played a game of tag and a similar game at the end. They either knew it, or knew a similar one, so when had the Czech kids demonstrate and did my best to explain, they understood and spoke about another role in the game that we didn't know, but it sounded fun, so we added it. There are always several parents watching the class, I got compliments for my patience from two of three of them today. Aart from some boys and one little Ukraininan girl, who were making a mess, I think the class went relatively well. But it totally exhausted me mentally.

Karate adults
    Grading is slowly, but still approaching, so some time for practice! I wanted to do more things that appear there, but when I started with kihon, there was too much of it that despite us not doing remotely everything, it took the whole class. Plus bodyweight exercises in between. At the end we did three kata and two Sanchin at the beginning. I didn't do that much kihon as I usually demonstrated and explained - the vast majority of techniques wasn't new - and went around correcting.

After class I went through Sanseru and Shisochin kata and bunkai once.

13. Nachi

Tuesday 10th May

Morning Taiji
    Meditation and silk reeling outside - it was a beautiful, warm sunny morning. Then The whole form inside and practicing kicks as two ladies were learning them.

Finally I am riding my little bike to trainings and omg, it's such a time saver! Especially for Taiji. It takes around 17 mins instead of, well, an hour...

14. Nachi

Tuesday 10th May

Taiji Kung-fu
    We skipped meditation and silk reeling or any warm up and went straight for the main thing. We practiced what the same thing that was suposedly done last week and that we trained on the seminar - I think the name (transcribed to English) was Peng Jin? Probably. Exactly the thing I totally didn't get at all. Well, I did understand the demonstration, but couldn't do it no matter what. Today we got a different explanation and practiced htis on the same one move in pairs. But before that we got to train the motion solo, I found out it was pretty much the same as in one move from the form. So we practiced that before moving onto the pairs. I paired up with instructor L again. She was great. When the teacher wanted to show her some detail and asked me to push him to demonstrate, she was able to use the force pretty much the same way the teacher did, as far as I could tell. She then patiently did her best to explain to me and help me figure it out, which was so very nice of her. I think I did better than last time, but still was frustrated with myself as it was definitely not very good. The teacher then went around to try with everyone. One guy was odd, so he started with him, then moved to us - my partner and I paired with that guy, so we practiced together. Unfortunately, the class was over before the teacher could make the full round to come to us, but well, maybe I'll get the opportunity when I figure the movement a bit better... The teacher explained how to practice this in the form etc. and mentioned how we should try to make the movements of the hip joints in the form smaller. "If it's seen, it's useless." And he decided we'll be practicing this Peng Jin till we learn it - "So we probably have enough work at least till fall." :D

Taiji sword
    Lao Jia Yi Lu at the beginning, then basic sword eercises, then the part of the form we knew, then practice of the latest move and one more added.

Taiji - Lao Jia Yi Lu
    The head teacher was pondering at the seminar whether we should perhaps start focusing more on fajins or perhaps on how to make the hip motion smaller and stronger - basically what we had been practicing at the seminar. The class is taught by the second teacher, but apparently, he was already instructed.
    We started the class with the whole Lao Jia Yi Lu. My third today. Also, after a week of not training at all when in quarantine with Sett and the two weeks before of not training not too hard due to not feeling well, I was alsready very tired today - after the weekend of many hours of practice, yesterday's three hours of karate and today's three hours of Taiji so far and the last five night of pretty bad sleep - I was already very tired. My legs and back were a bit sore, but mostly my muscls were feeling very tired, my fajins were sorry excuses for fajins and I was looking forward to the end of the form this time. THe teacher would then explain aome parts and we'd practice piece by piece with frequent breaks like usual. Right? ... No. The teacher said we should eb practicing longer without breaks and at least 2-3 forms in a row, so we're going to to another one right away and make today's class mostly about practice without much talking. Nooooooo! Why today? Argh. I somehow survived the second form. I actually finally copletely relaxed at least my upper body, as I had no strenght to use any remostly unnecessary muscles. I toned down fajins and made the stances higher. Even my knees were starting feeling uncomfortable. The class was indeed mostly exercising and practicing the very thing the hear teacher promised we would. It was great, but I just really couldn't do it well today. I felt a tiny bit sick too and was even seriously considering just leaving early today.

When the class ended I did my usual, today much needed stratching. A friend was there, too, and we chatted, when the head teacher arrived. I wanted to chime in the conversation we were having and the teacher had just joined with an interesting story, when the teacher stopped me and said: "You see, the gym is completely empty today. Instead of this small talk, you could do one more form or practice the spear. See? A perfect opportunity!" ... I dissappeared like smoke. I'll leave the story for another time....

15. Nachi

Wednesday 11th May

Taiji - assisting
    Wuji meditation and silk reeling. Then I went through the first 25 moves with the more advanced tiny group 3 times. Then I practiced the 4th move with the beginners, before the teacher joined both groups to work on the fourth move together. A couple of times I was asked to go to the front while the teacher was checking on people, but otherwise I could relax and just practice with the rest.

16. Nachi

Thursday 12th May

My knee hurts a tiny bit after all the taiji after a few weeks of not training that much, I guess.

Karate
    Today we practiced outside. We practiced footwork, then San Dan Gi Ichi, Sanchin kata (both versions), all the kata till Sanseru, and bunkai Gekisai Dai Ichi. We tried a bit under pressure when we make a line to attack consecutively one person in the front. At the end, there was sense and me being attacked, us always telling the attackers what kind of attack we want in order to do bunkai for kata from Gekisai dai Ichi till Sanseru. Ah, the more advanced kata, the worse my memory is. It took me time and I made mistakes. I didn't feel good about it at all.

I should start practicing more. But tommorrow I might just get a day to rest, as there's a Black Belt seminar this weekend in Germany! :) It's been so long since I've physically attended an international Gasshuku! Over two years, to be more exact. The last ending just a day or two before lockdown started back in 2020. I am looking forward to it, although I don't feel that confident in the technical part. I hope this Gasshuku will get me back on track, though :)

17. Nachi

Saturday 14th May

BLACK BELT GASSHUKU in Germany with sensei Ernie
    The Gasshukutook place in a dojo with limited space and limited number of people - 30 slots, first come first serve. There was supposed to be 6 of us, but only 4 were able to come in the end. The total was I think 25 attendees, out of which only 6 were women, and sensei Ernie teaching. Attendees were 1st to 7th dan. It turned out I and another girl coming froma different style hoping to transfer were the only ones with 1st dan. Most of the people were from Germany, and a couple came from Denmark.
    For partner work I paired up with a friend from our Czech group - also a girl, but from a different dojo, so I don't get to practice with her very often. I don't even remember the last time.

The first couple of hours was a bit tough, we sweated and since the dojo was in the basement with only one window open just a slit, the place felt like a sauna, the mirror getting all foggy. We practiced, if I remember, yakusoku kumite - combinations, then kata and bunkai. The scenario was the same: We did a kata about 3 times with sensei pointing out things to payattention to, and we went straight to bunkai, although now that I think about it, we probably did bunkai only for the first kata - Gekisai dai Ichi. Each was demonstrated about 2-3 times, then we practiced with a partner about 5 times each side each person. We then also practiced the bunkai fast in groups of four attackers and one defender. Five rounds, each faster than the last.
    We then also did Gekisai dai Ni and Saifa kata before lunch and Renzoku kumite before lunch.

Lunch was ordered contrally and served in the dojo. We had an hour long break. It was vegetarian lasagna and the portion was way too big. I couldn't finishedmuch more than a half of it. But, I am used to always identifying the biggest eater in the group. One of the senseis in our group is veeery tall with similarly big appetite. He said he wouldn't be able to finish my leftovers, buthe finished half of my portion, half of my partner's portion and endedup taking a bowl of yoghurt as a desert :D

In the afternoon we reviewed the combinations and bunkai from the morning and went through Sanchin, Sepai and Kururunfa kata and bunkai (except for Sanchin) with similar scenario, butonly inpairs. I do know Sepai, but haven't practiced it lately, but still remembered it. I've briefly learned Kururunfa before as well and practiced mostly on my own, and well, more or less remembered with explanation and with the highest ranked attendee - 7th dan sensei - being sent to our end to stand in front so that us lower ranks could copy. That did help. Bunkai were a bit more of a struggle. Sensei started to demonstrate and let us practice two bunkai at a time and I've never done bunkai for either of these kata. Well, for Sepai maybe Itried once, years ago, but I didn't remember at all. My partner did both and probably knew the Sepai bunkai (she's a second dan practicing longer than I've been), but as with Kururunfa we were fairly lost. Sensei was, however, going around and helping us when needed, which was great.

We got a 10 min waterbreak at 4 pm. I think it was after that that we practiced kakie and mostly combinations with lock and takedowns from it.

Today the seminar laster from 10 am to 5 pm, with an hour long break for lunch. At 6.30 a dinner was supposed to start, so we only hurried back to the hotel to take a shower and rushed to the venue. We all moved to a bar later, but we didn't want to overdo it and went to sleep around midnight. Some people kept drinking to about 4 am, which I didn't understand. Sure, the seminar wasn't that pyhsically tough, but my mind, trying to keep track of the dozens of combinations we did, was tired. I also keephaving some cold - sore throat and runny nose and despite not feeling bad otherwise, I was tired. And my muscles still sore from before....

axelb likes this.
  18. Nachi

Sunday 15th May

BLACK BELT GASSHUKU in Germany with sensei Ernie
    Today the seminar was from 10 to 4 pm, with an hour longbreak for lunch. In the morning we did Junbi Undo, maybesome combination (not sure anymore, there was a ton of combinations throughout) and Tensho kata. The 7th dan sensei was in front of us and he did the kata facing us, giving me a few correction, which was great. We then also did Tensho bunkai. I know I've done some before at some seminar, but don't really remember them, so not sure if they were the same.
    Then we proceeded with Sesan kata and bunkai. I was never taught either, so I was lost, my partner did the kata before, but was lost with the bunkai, same as me. We tried our best to remember the techniques and reproduce them. We then again split into two groups - one watching (due to space), the other performing Sesan once. Sensei said (thank goodness) that if there were any shodans, they don't have to come, as they might not know this kata. Yep, exactly. To my surprise, though, it was only me and a women transfering from Goju kai. There really were no more shodans here!
    The last kata was Suparimpei (Pechurin). It's the most advanced kata of our style (kaishu kata - not counting Tensho) and also the longest, so trying to explain briefly to those of us who never tried before would be well, not worth it. So sensei let us shodans and nidans practice Seiunchin and Shisochin by ourselves. Then the advanced group performed Pechurin withus watching and we thendid Sanseru. After we practiced bunkai - our group four Sanseru bunkai.
    In the last 30 mins we did pads, which was fun, a bit more relaxing for the mind, and a bit of a cardio. And stretching before the end. We quickly showered, said our goodby and rushed back home.

It was a great seminar. Too bad I had no time to take notes - there weren't really many breaks and too short to write down much, and I couldn't remember the combinations or bunkai I wanted to note down for very long as many more combinations came. So on our way back, I basically interviewed our two godan senseis in the car at least for two sets of the combinations we did and the Tensho bunkai ^^ They remembered a lot, unlike me.

19. Nachi

Monday 16th May

Karate kids
    I still have runny nose and a sorethroat, so I asked Sett if he could teach, I'd probably have trouble being loud dnough for the children class. There was only one Ukrainiqn boy today and he was trying. Today there were two of us, so while Sett was teaching a simple combination, some slides etc., I was explaining to the boy. This was much easier than teaching alone.

Karate adults
    In the adult class we started with Sanchin kata, then Junbi undo, then we did three combinations I brought from the weekend seminar. I was demonstrating and then mostly correcting. I had this pain in a tiny muscle in my left shoulder, getting worse as the class progressed. It hurt when lifting my arm up against any sort of resistance. When the class finished, I was barely able to lift my arm at all. We finished the class on time qnd let anyone who wished to practice by themselves stay (though they didn't), while Sett and I went through Shisochin and Sanseru kata and bunkai.

20. Nachi

Tuesday 17th May

Morning Taiji
    I came right on time. The usual guy standing in the front to do the form was back. He didn't want to be the front person, though, as he said he may miss some moves. I therefore went to the front with him. But... I wasn't focusing on which move comes next and actually did a different one at one point, and missed, well, I think only two moves. I, however didn't realise this until we finished and the friend said: "Yeah, sure, let me reference from you again next time!" XD It happens, though, doesn't it?

The teacher arrived and we continued in the kicking sequence, with another friend learning it, the rest of our small group polishing. There were I think only 4 of us for some reason and I was able to get several corrections.

I wasn't feeling the best today. Nothing was sore, but my body just didn't really listen to me. My knees hurt a bit these past few days, so I went for higher stances and paid attention to being gentle on my knees. I had a hard time keeping my back straight and my balance today wasn't the greatest, either. My hamstrinhs felt tight, so I didn't feel comfortable kicking as high qnd as fast as usual.
    I should provably rest a bit, but I need to train hard in this coming three weeks, so I don't want to skip any training. Although I'm really unsure if I'll do all three evening classes today...