Mysticism in FMA

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by qccirclejunkie, Dec 30, 2005.

1. qccirclejunkie

qccirclejunkie New Member

Hello everyone!!!

Have you ever encountered FMA groups with their local "legends"? I'd like to know and collect their stories. There are those that have styles which are closely linked with "dasal" (orations) and "anting-anting" (talismans). There are others who claim to be taught by one-legged or limp or blind masters and so on.

I'd like to here about them!!! Thanks! :woo:

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

QP-002

I've not encountered any mysticism with FMA per se... but I've encountered plenty during my time and travels in the moutains of Davao and the surrounding areas. I know many people who grew up with parents or grandparents who could speak 'dasal' or orations in order to cure a stab wound or a slash wound from a bolo. Many of the orations that I'v seen involve traditional type healings with herbal elixirs and incense of sorts.

Interestingly the belief in orations is stronger the further you get back up into the moutains of Davao. People have very little access to modern medicine and many couldn't afford it even if the did have access. So orations are very deeply ingrained in the traditions and heavily integrated in traditional healing.

Many of the Mandaya and Mansaka people that I've been lucky enough to come into contact with have a very interesting mixture of orations that are comprised of both Catholic prayers and traditional Mansaka managog (traditional gods).

3. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

I have heard about it. To be frank, my GM believes he has one (w/ respect to my GM) & he is also a "mangagamot". But have not yet experience its mysticism or power, or have I? There is an instance that GM told me I there could be a "spirit" residing in me (good that is :p ) cause when you kinda measure your little fingers (pinkie) its not in same length :eek: , it means if your left pinkie is much more longer, spirits are from other plain, but if the right hand pinkie is longer, it is caused by another person (maybe a witch :D ). He then performed a "dasal" over me, & its the length are now even :p (LOL). i don't know if I would believe cause maybe am just in the new generation where "anting-anting" & "dasal" is not that famous. But does that not mean its not true :) .

Also a distant relative of mine told me a story that he was given an anting-anting, they are from Batangas. He tested it and said that he really saw the bullet pass by him :eek: :eek: :eek: , others let themselves whack by a bolo :cry: .

But thats just story, maybe if I can witness it. Or I'll tell you onece GM gives me one, he told me he'll give me one, I just told him could it eb fashioned like a "bling-bling"? :D :D

4. MataPula

MataPula Valued Member

If you have already made some research at the FMA Groups at the QC Circle, you may also want to consider to talk to FMA Practitioners at Luneta. Theres definitely at least one or two at Luneta who has some knowledge about Mysticism.

5. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Filipino Mysticism

In general, the practise of martial arts and mysticism are two different paths altogether. Unlike, say, the Indonesians, Filipino arnisadores learn their fighting techniques from teachers different from those teaching occult powers. Of course there are exceptions. Silat, Kuntaw and those styles with traditional roots integrate combat with mysticism.

Tatang Ilustrisimo used anting-anting, but only a few of his students followed this path. Anciong Bacon also had mystical powers but mysticism is not part of the present-day Balintawak curriculum.On the other hand, there are antingeros who don't know how to properly wield a weapon. None of the masters I know relied solely on their powers. They still trained hard in practical techniques. Only lazy people think they can be good through oracion alone.

A few months ago, I encountered a guy who hacked himself on his forarm a few times with a sharp bolo. He was not cut. I wasn't the only one to witness this. He said that this ability is not a guarantee that a person will not be cut in a real fight. A month later, the same guy performed the same stunt in front of a TV crew, became camera shy and could not concentrtate well. Some people said the spirits were not pleased at him for showing off. It was the finest demonstration of an FMA blooper as he slashed his arm open. :eek:

I doubt that will get pass the censors.

6. dyak_stone

dyak_stone Valued Member

master's cave in Laguna Province

I vaguely remember this story about a cave somewhere in Laguna that tests the skill of an arnisador. I forgot where I got this story, but I do remember that a master (or a group of masters) nade a cave into a gauntlet of deadly traps to test an arnisador/eskrimadors skill. Maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about?

What I'm particularly fond of, are the legendary feats that Pinoy martial artists of old are said to have been able to do.

I've heard of a dumogeros able to rip apart human flesh with their bare hands, who train this skill on the trunk (is that center part called a trunk if its of a plant? :confused: ) of the banana plant.

Also, I've read of a sikaran practitioner able to kill (maybe just knockout?) a carabao with a single biakid (akin to the turning long of tkd).

On the side, I think I'd appreciate Ang Panday and Mulawin if only they showcased FMA and integrated Filipino culture and legends in their themes. At least our comic book industry is starting with this. Sana lang huwag ma-udlot (I just hope their efforts will follow-through).

7. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

a close friend and instructor of mine told me of a guy with anting-anting died because of his anting-anting. appararently his anting-anting protects him from being cut so no blade can penetrate his skin, he had a complication and needed surgery, doctors cant perform surgery because they cant penetrate the skin so he died. moral of the story......anting-anting can be good, but you also sacrifice something.

8. qccirclejunkie

You're a native of Davao? This anting anting is very popular... the one enabling you not to be slashed or shot. Anyone willing to sell? :Angel:

9. qccirclejunkie

Say, would your GM happen to be closely connected to modern arnis? I am a moderna arnis member, so maybe i have an idea who he is. Does he teach in Marikina?

10. qccirclejunkie

Yes you're right. I'm a "junkie" of those places, so to speak. Mornings at QC Circle, afternoods and evenings at Luneta, then straight to Baywalk, hahaha! :D

11. qccirclejunkie

That's a good insight. It is better to separate FMA and Filipino mysticism.

12. qccirclejunkie

I've heard of this one. Maybe they're just trying to rip off Kyokushin Master Masutatsu Oyama. But yes, i do admit that I've heard of this legend, thanks!

13. qccirclejunkie

Hahahaha!!! It sounds like a bad joke! Poor guy, he should've taken cared of his health.

14. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

yup :love: , he let me eat a pice of paper w/ "dasal" :D . ei don't tell GM ok :cry: , he'll let me eat another piece of paper again :D

15. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

My Lola's family were supposed to be very powerful at anting-anting. Though she was only supposed to use it for good. Apparrently she was desperate to pass the power on before she died but none of my family would accept the 'drink' ...its coz they're christian and believed you'd go to hell if you use it :bang:

I reckon this belief that antng anting is evil was just the Spanish invader's propaganda. They did enough damage turning the various tribes against each other in their 'divide and rule policy'.

I am not a firm believer that anting-anting is 'real' magic though, but more like the Filipino equivilant of chi - a way of harnessing the bodies natural energy.

Tell me has anyone got any stories of Aswong? My Thai friend reckons they have similar creatures in Thailand...its funny and facinating...wasn't the owner of Robinson's supposed to be one... so best not bring my girlfriends there...we all know the stories ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  16. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

maybe its "aswang" :D stickfan . I have some, when our place was still like a province looking place. They said that when someone is sick, sometimes this creatures or "aswang" do come. My 6yO bro then was sick and my pop heard a pig like grunt outside, when he check it out, he saw a big pig :eek: :eek: , kinda 2-3meters, then he go back inside to get the "buntot ng pagi" (if am nopt mistaken, its tail of a manta ray :confused: ), when he came back, the pig was gone :confused:

There are more stories of paranormal or ghost, but this could turn into horror story rathen than FMA mysticism :p

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  17. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

Thats because some pinoys probably saw how big it was and cooked it bro! :D

I bet someone had a good feast that night! ;)

When my auntie was dying one came to visit her as a cat, my uncle whos a preacher, hit it with a broom and apparently the next day, in the village, the known Aswang had a cut on her face.....though I wouldn't mind being one.... imagine the possibilities...no more need to pay airfare coz you could fly :D
    I could also turn myself into a duck and make my own balut... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  18. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

This seperation is the result of historical and cultural factors. The Spanish tried to stamp out all pre-Spanish beliefs and so the use of anting-anting became was seen as evil. Christian symbols replaced the old tribal symbols. In place of a mutya, Catholics use rosaries as talismans, a practise denied or frowned upon by the hierarchy. You may not see pre-Spanish tribal items much in modern martial arts but you see a lot of Christian symbols used as talismans and protection. In fact, modern Filipino mysticism is influenced by kabbalistic practices mixed with Roman Catholic (Latin) practices.

The use of mysticism was actually universal. Some ancient Greeks were said to be invulnerable, like Achiles. (Well, almost). Viking berserkers fought without armor in ancient Europe. They were also said to be almost invulnerable. Today researchers trying to enhancer the prowess of their soldiers have come up with interesting studies. They just call it paranormal studies, not occultism or mysticism.

In Indonesia, almost all traditional martial art school practice some form of mysticism. I do not see any problem in mixing both. If a student doesn't like this, then he can always go to another club.

19. MataPula

MataPula Valued Member

You are quite lucky!!! you have enough time to spend at some of the best FMA hubs in the Metro. Some of the Masters that I know who probably have some knowledge in Anting Anting / oracion / etc includes Masters Edgar Telebangco, Vic Sanchez, Yuli Romo, Sioc.

You might also want to consider going to Quiapo Church as there are a number of people with the 'secret knowledge' near the area.

20. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

that's our regret, we could have a feast that night, :D , sadly, we just eat Pulang itlog w/ tomato (red egg) :p