My Videos

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by EmilM, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

What, is this a freaking joke? You are telling a 20+ year student who studied under 1st generation Bruce Lee students that he doesn't know what he's talking about? Your arrogance is astounding.

I know you live in Huntsville, and you have a chance to study with a 2nd generation Bruce Lee student. Did you even stop by the gym?

You are still on here talking trash even though you don't know anything about Jeet Kune Do.

2. Motd

Motd Valued Member

Your right, after thinking about Bruce Lee's quote I've realized he meant it to be more philosophical. And no I have not, I have no idea of his lineage or even where it is located exactly. If you could give me this information or atleast the website I'd be happy to stop by.

3. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Rading Sifu John's website, I have to say, the kind of philosophy he espouses there, is the kind of thing that seems right to me. I think John actually is in to that idea of JKD being an individual journey - root methods, but personal growth from that.

To me, Emil looks pretty good - I thought the BAFTA award winning gushing was funny, but only because I do it as well every now and then... I'm interested to know what Sifu John sees specifically wrong with Emil, in a constructive sense. Is it techniques, or, the question of authentic instructorship?

4. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

Yo, John, ur,,, Simplicity - you don't train drills? I cannot resist giving you a hard time on this one - I notice your site lists a Karate style (drills oriented), Jesse Glover (super huge drills oriented), the late James Yimm Lee's Wing Chun Book (more drills) a pic of you with Kali sticks (drills drills, drills). What's up wit that!

Here's Jesse Glver's version of "just stand there like Emil's hippy guy while I look all Bruce Lee":

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8twyKYgfiKU"]Shot Jesse Glover NCGF demo - YouTube[/ame]

That said, please try to remember that there are way more important matters to get upset about in this world than who is misrepresenting or badly performing "pure" JKD.

5. Yohan

Well, it's right next to the builders square parking lot on north pkwy - it's just north of the lot.

www.sbgofal.com

6. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

He doesn't look anything like Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee was Chinese - and he didn't have a beard, and almost never wore a hat.

Hippy guy is famous now! He should start his own youtube channel - like, getting beat on by various martial artists around the world, whilst trying to look all mellow.

7. EmilM

EmilM Valued Member

Sorry, I have him copyrighted :)

8. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

LOL:)

9. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Aww cmon, hippy guy should be shared through out the MA community. =)

10. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Damn right!
    "My hippy guy brings all the boys to the yard,
    and they're like, he's better than yours....
    damn right, he's better than yours,
    I could lend him, but I'd have to charge... "

11. EmilM

EmilM Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baP6PJmcnYM"]YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIOgQNCq5ig"]YouTube[/ame]​

12. JeetKuneDero

Emil, years ago, we would drill the heck out of various techniques. One day, about 12 months into it, I was involved in an actual street fight and I found myself pulling my strikes! I've long since changed how I train and I was wondering how you and your guys train to ensure all that drilling with no actual contact is made avoids that sort of danger? Thanks!

13. EmilM

EmilM Valued Member

Bag, pad and mitt work to practise and develop full power application of our techniques. In an actual fight the last thing I'd think about is pulling my punches, the mind needs to be trained to control your body's actions and prevent such things. I don't feel I need to start hitting my students full contact to gain this control if that's what is being suggested however. I hope this answers your question. Alot of it comes down to how relaxed and focused you can be during a real fight, controlling your adrenaline and fear, pulling your punches when you don't mean to is a clear example of not having control of your body and actions. I think meditation drills prove their place as worthwhile training for these matters. Peace, EM.

14. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

You fight like you train, plain & simple!

Keep "IT" Real,
    Sifu John McNabney

15. chof

chof Valued Member

wonderful back work, shows your mind is open for attacks, what is your technique for lunging

16. Yohan

Actually, if all you do is mitt work for your punches, you'll end up punching the other guys gloves/hands when you spar.

17. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

LOL!

18. JeetKuneDero

A few hours ago, I was horsing around with a boxer friend of mine. Both my trapping and follow through strikes took care of themselves.

You know, I changed my training towards that sort of thing expresssing itself not only on it's own but with follow through. Still, whenever it does I am alwys surprised by it.

Because I agree that its a mindset during training sort of thing, no, I was not suggesting anything else. Was just wondering what you guys did towards that, is all.

19. chof

chof Valued Member

just because you do things slow does not mean you cant do them with power and speed when the time comes, being mechanized is the key, your subconcious should not let you do them slow and without power in combat, i wouldnt worry about, unless you have a neurological problem, the mind will take care of it

20. JeetKuneDero

Chof, if you're addressing what I just posted, we are not on the same page here. I did not say anything about doing things slow. Nor about it being some sort of detriment to "speed and power when the time comes." Because I know the opposite is the case. Tai Chi, for example, is "done" slow, yet is know for amazing speed. In fact, there is something very positive to be said for what's known as the "the speed of going slow."