My first Taekwondo Lesson: How I compare it to Karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by yuen, Sep 18, 2011.

1. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

different worlds fella.

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Admittedly sometimes we can be a bit overbearing.

[​IMG]

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

4. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

seconded :p That was cute Kuma. :)

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I know my jokes are bad, but it's just a burden I'll have to bear.

[​IMG]

6. Blade96

Your jokes are unbearable, Kuma.

[​IMG]

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I bearly understand them.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

[​IMG]

*whistles innocently*

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia05NGd3-dU"]Ninja Bear! - YouTube[/ame]

10. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Thats the coolest thing I think Ive ever seen, Kuma - LMAO!!!

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

He's my best student.

12. Bigmikey

He's awesome... but he's gotta work on that footwork a bit... jus sayin...

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

His stance is a little wide at times, so it's hard for him to defend against a groin kick.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2fLyZfaaZs"]KARATE BEAR - YouTube[/ame]

14. Blade96

Poor Yuen was only bearing his soul, but some mappers bearated him.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'm a big supporter of the right to bear arms.

[​IMG]

16. Theforgotten

Theforgotten Drifting Aimlessly

I had this experience when I stepped into my first TKD class many many moons ago, but since it was a strictly traditional Korean dojang, the 'whoah' was more like 'I can't believe you'd even mention something Japanese in here'.

Yes, it is a bit taxing when you do it at first, but you get accustomed to it and it helps your kicking ability. Keep a more open mind about it, you'll enjoy it once you get the hang of it.

It's always weird and awkward when you do something for the first time. I've had similar experiences when I first started TKD, including feeling that what the dojang was doing was 'all wrong' because it wasn't what I did back in Shotokan class. The key is to accept that what you did in the past is no longer what you are doing in the present, and to accept the new way and adjust to it. There is merit in the new way that you are doing things, you just need to give it some time before it clicks. I eventually felt far more comfortable with doing what I did in TKD class compared to what I did in Shotokan class. It just takes time, patience, and an open mind.

That sounds like great fun, and it will make you more accustomed to dealing with kickers.

Two different styles, my friend. The kata in Shotokan are done with different rhythm and focus than the ones done in TKD, generally speaking of course. I noticed the same thing when I switched from Shotokan to TKD. It is not a matter of one being better than the other in this area, it is just that they are performed differently.

Well, you can never go wrong with cake :cool:

That's cool, and I definitely respect your choice. However, if you are sold on Karate, then you may want to drop the TKD class. While extra training is never a bad thing in my book, if you insist on doing things the karate way and not adjusting to the way things are done in the dojang, then why bother? It will just annoy you and confuse you.

.................Oh yeah, and RRRAAAAAAAWWWWWWWRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Bigmikey

I think you may be my soul mate.

18. Blade96

And Frodocious too.