My First Boxing Match

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Korpy, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's not boxing. I wouldn't find a mate who had 3 lessons of judo, and batter him around the head

Did you ask him first?

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

No, cause I know.

He's been my best friend forever.

If he had something medically wrong he would have said I can't fight.

Also he wouldn't be in TKD is he had a medical history.

God, some of ya'll make it sound like it was a match to the death.

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

One point squarely missed
    TKD and HKD are not boxing - you punch each other in the head with boxing gloves, it's not anything like your training - you yourself admitted this
    Did you ask him about his medical history? Did you know that even for an amateur boxing match in front of 15 people, you'd have to be checked out by a doctor? He or you could've had a condition that no one even knew about. The point isn't that nothing happened, the point is that behaviour like this leaves the door WIDE open for something really bad to happen
    I don't care what you were trying to win by, the fact is you claim hard punches to the head were thrown, knocking him down more than once. Not to rain on your parade, but this behaviour really is asking for trouble

4. I don't know my best mate's medical history.

Not if he got some macho superiority complex, or a dose of adrenaline.

Everyone has a medical history ;) Sorry :Angel: You can still train.

In all fairness, it could have turned out that way. Did you wear gloves? :)

It's just the idea of basement fighting seems silly.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

1) We weren't asking for trouble. :rolleyes:

2) He's not macho, he would say if he had something wrong.

3) Like I said he does TKD, he doesn't have a medical condition.

4) We used gloves.

5) It's not like we were having a championship match, it was for fun, and no one got knocked out, we went easy, and had fun.

I'm sorry if ya'll can't accept it.

I and my friend would never knock each other out.

It was for fun, that's all it was.

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you hit your friend hard enough that he couldnt continue. doesnt sound like you went easy. you probably expected some kind of pat o nthe back posting this but you should have known better.

7. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Korpy, some of my friends and I have done this at parties. We strap on gloves (They're a lot "poofier" than regular boxing gloves, almost as if you glued a small pillow to your knuckles) and we take turns fighting eachother. In all the time we've done it, I've never even seen someone with a bloody nose yet. It's actually good that nobody has training, cause nobody knows how to actually hit, and flailing I've found is very light contact :) It's a lot of fun, it gives us something to do rather than just sit around and drink for example. People are encouraged to stop if they want to, and nobody has any problem doing this - if someone takes a good shot or just gets tired, the match is stopped and someone else goes or we take a break.

I don't see what the big deal is. Sure, we could get hurt - but so what? There are countless things I do all the time that are dangerous. I climb gigantic trees, I jump off 60 foot waterfalls, I hike up to the edges of cliff faces, I spar with shinai without any pads, on and on I could go. My life would be pretty damn boring if I refused to do any of the above because they're potentially harmful. Of all the things I do for fun, basement boxing matches are probably the safest.

Korpy, you said you guys weren't trying to kill eachother, you were just having some fun. I see no problem with that. Don't worry about all these people who wear helmets when they cross the street, life is not to be lived in a bubble.

8. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Well yeah. I didn't think having fun was a horrible, horrible thing here.

My friend gave me a nice bruise on my side. Doesn't hurt, but it's there. He has nothing wrong, no bruises or anything so it was fine.

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thank you Socrastein!

Life would be pretty dull, without some fun.

Basement Boxing is fun, we weren't trying to kill each other, it was friendly. And when I threw that punch and he said he couldn't continue I felt good cause of the fun I just had. He said good job, I did the same thing, then we watched t.v. the rest of the night.

He wants to go again soon. Possibly this weekend.

10. I've had fun in life :)

Why don't you join a class together? :)

11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Because there are no Boxing gyms or schools by us.

12. Find something similar? Most kickboxing gyms would let you do boxing. Ours does. I know you have a KB gym near you ;)

13. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

im sure those kids who kicked a guy wearing a tkd hogu and killed him thought it was all great fun too. I personally dont give a toss about idiots hurting themselves/each other, but about how it reflects on legitimate combat sports

14. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Except one thing, there's no death involved in our fun. :rolleyes:

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

We don't fight that hard to kill someone, they obviously did. :rolleyes:

16. Things easily get carried away...

17. You mentioned you were going to check out a boxing class :confused:

18. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Yeah, and those kids who have died from inhaling helium out of party balloons were also trying to have fun, therefore it's stupid to do Chipmunk impressions right? Cause helium can lead to freak accident deaths? You can apply this argument to EVERYTHING, there's ALWAYS someone who has died or been seriously hurt from even the most mundane activities, that does not mean that these activities are dangerous and stupid, it means that sometimes freak accidents occur, nothing more. People have choked to death brushing their teeth, people have been hit crossing the street, people have dislocated their knees playing frisbee in a grassy field - these things happen, this does not make people who still do such things idiots, or people with a death wish. There is calculated risk everywhere, in everything we do, and people have different levels of risk tolerance. Different odds affect different people in different ways. I do not find the odds killing/maiming someone in a basement boxing match to be of any notable concern.

19. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Not with us.

20. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

No, I said there might be a place, but I doubt it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.