Muay Thai vs Kickboxing. The fight that changed history (Video)

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Acumen Athletic, Nov 6, 2014.

1. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

Aren't american kickboxers legs conditioned to be able to withstand leg kicks?

It's a bit strange how instructor level/fighter Taekwondo black belts manage leg kicks seeminglessly, while kickboxers apparently don't

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. itf-taekwondo

Evidence of this can be found here between a rather medicore, slow Taekwondo black belt opposite a fairly strong thai fighter.

Leg kicks don't affect the TKD fighter at all, despite getting his butt kicked.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26Wg_Y4stY"]TAEKWONDO TAEKWON-DO ITF VS MUAY THAI NO PUNCHES TO FACE - YouTube[/ame]

3. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

To be fair Ive seen American fighters take leg kicks the same as the TKD guy did here,some people are naturally tough eh,actually there are 3 main strategies in MT one is to stop someone walking(ie hit the legs) another is to stop him breathing,and the third to stop him thinking(here is where high kicks come in:)) Ive found over the years that some people can take all sorts of punishment to the head for example but cant take body shots and others take body shots well but not hits to the legs hence the 3 main strategies:)

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

5. itf-taekwondo

Do you think the TKD fighter seemed affected by leg kicks in that match? There was no indication. And he was a poor fighter. The kickboxer in the video discussed was like the best of the best.

6. Mitch

I think he was affected by them in all sorts of ways. Watch carefully and you'll see it too. Watch the results of the kicks, the frequency of the kicks, and the change in the TKD guy's kicks as the bout goes on. :)

In all honesty I think the MT guy just waits to establish his strategy then dominates.

Mitch

7. itf-taekwondo

This is just silly. You can read anything into a situation.

There is no clear limpering of any sort or hurt expressed. The one thing he does incredibly well is standing up to leg kicks. His own kicking frequencys was slow and attrocious from the start. I don't think the leg kicks impacted him conciderably, but that's my assement.

8. Mitch

Cool :cool:

Mitch

9. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Having watched the fight that changed history i have a new found respect for low Thai kicks so much so im looking for Thai gym in my area to supplement my TKD. My reasoning is that Thai fighters know that to win you take the legs away. Being an ITF practitioner myself i can honestly say that against that low kick i wouldn't know how to defend against it properly.

As mich said the tkd felt it in the legs alright and we can say this because the Thai fighter is trained to take these tools away.

Baza

10. Mitch

We can also say it because they dumped the TKD guy on his ass several times :D

More than that I want ITF TKD to comment on the video and how he sees low kicks affecting the fight because it's way beyond that IMO.

If you don't want to that's fine, but I think it would be worthwhile.

Mitch

11. Mitch

I should add;

My Instructor (WTF Olympian) once said that he would wait for the very first time his opponent went, "FFooooffff," and blew out his cheeks, you know that noise people make when they're tired?

He would then hammer on them with everything he had for 30 seconds or so, no let up, nothing, just hit them with everything he had.

Because he knew that at the end of that 30 seconds he'd beaten them, because they were already half way there.

Full contact fighters will often learn not to "show," but they will still feel it, and it will change their behavior in the ring.

Watch the video again and look for the change.

Mitch

12. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

As a full contact fighter I can testify to this.

13. itf-taekwondo

The TKD-stylists movements were not hindered. He sucked from beginning to end. Nevermind if he was in pain or not. It doesn't really matter so forget I wrote that.

Kickboxing- Muay Thai clip, the kickboxer impressed me more from a technical standpoint. He dominated the Thai fighter early on. I wouldn't switch to Thai boxing based on that fight. And I have great respect for Muay Thai.

14. Mitch

You might want to watch the video you chose to post again :)

Mith

15. itf-taekwondo

I want to discuss one thing here. The allowance of low kicks is really to the Thai fighters advantage. People say he was handicapped more, but that's not really true if you think about it.

American kickboxers do not include low kicks - none, zero...

16. Mitch

Before we do, could you go back and answer the points people have made in the previous page or so please?

Mitch

17. itf-taekwondo

Which point do you want me to comment on? The fight that changed history or the TKD- Muay Thai one?

I had hoped that debate was settled. I have watched it more than once and I found no indications outside of possibly being tired. So no, not really. Low kicks did not determine the outcome of that match at all.

18. Mitch

This one. Do you not see the change in his movement? Do you not see low kicks having an affect against someone who lacks experience against them?

Mitch

19. itf-taekwondo

I am saying he handled it so well that it's hard to say differentiate how much is fatigue, compared to the actual fact of not being trained for low kicks.

This is hindered movements from low kicks and it's not even comparable:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDQvRj8I_Ws"]k1 moldova final. Muay thai VS Boxing classic. - YouTube[/ame]

20. Mitch

Another point.

Mitch