Muay Thai Grading/Certification

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by SCP_Kensei, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

Master Chana is ace, i miss training there :(

2. ChorakedNoi

ChorakedNoi Valued Member

Urgh!

Gad those videos are atrocious, but finding crap on YouTube isn't exactly hard. It's like fishing for turds at the sewage factory.

I have to say that I graded when I trained, and I have graded students and will continue to. I will also say that not one of those clowns in the videos would pass probably even one of my beginner grades.

I don't disagree with a lot of the negative things people say about gradings, and I can see where clowns teaching clowns to be clowns is a path that many might tread. But everyone here who talks about the bad side is in a position to to make gradings a positive thing. I would never pass anyone without good skill to a grade they didn't deserve. Just the same as I would never put anyone in the ring who doesn't have the skill to fight.

I saw a lot of Westerners in Thailand who made me cringe, their technique and skills were so bad, and they would tell me they owned schools and were a Kru or were fighters. My one great fear with the whole Kru Muay Association and the Grading system they developed for AITMA or IMBA is that the standards that should be set, are not. But I am as equally wary of people just deciding that they will open a school and make themselves and instructor, with no recognition whether they be good or bad.

I've spent a lot of years learning, a lot of sweat, blood, and a few tears. I expect people who train under me and want to be recognized for their learning will understand that it will not be handed to them easily, but that what they have is earned. I don't turn out crap fighters, and I don't turn out crap students.

The real question is: what is a better way?
    Muay Thai is out there being taught badly every single day. How on earth do you encourage good students to pick a good Kru to learn from? How do you dissuade them from learning from clowns? How do you preserve the art and protect it from idiots in shiny Gi-pants and greedy gits who have no understanding of the depth and tradition?

I wish I knew

3. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Good post bro,

I can tell you have been through the same things I have been through,you wanted to learn it right(you still do) you want to be taught it right,you want to teach it right,you care! problem is not everyone does!.

And your right about the grading system,it can be done well,but it would be much better if everyone was singing from the same hymsheet much like in the camps of Thailand,all do the same warm upps,the same bag work,the same pad work,the same technique ,the same clinch etc etc,what happens in the west? the opposite mainly ,people doing there own thing and calling it Muay Thai,thing is there classes are usually packed!,sad to see sometimes.:rolleyes:

Ah well at least some of us on here care.:)