MTV2, Final Fu... make what you want of it

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ThaiBxr, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

I'm not impressed by what I've seen either, but I'm wondering how much of it is the competitors and how much of it is the lame rules. I wonder how much I would be out of my element if I was restricted to no head contact, no hard contact, and only continuous points. I know that SOME of the contestants have real training in fighting (ex. I've been told by a reliable source that Hans has trained quite a bit with Frank Shamrock and Bob Cook. Also, Daniel Sterling who hasn't been featured yet, but is a competitor on the show is a very well trained fighter and has experience as a bodyguard, as well.)

I fear the mindset of the producers and the direction of this show suffers from the same "disease" that to a large extent plagues Olympic-style TKD competition. They have tried to make it "sanitary" for the masses. Where shows like THE ULIMATE FIGHTER show the blood that the testosterone crowd loves, it also shows (and even plays up) the "dirty underbelly" of MMA fighting. By putting the guys in isolation in the house, they get stressed and we get to see them in ways that most parents would not want to promote to their kids as role models (ex. urinating on each others property, foul language, ect.) Also, the fighting, though much more effective and a lot closer to reality, is far more technical and less "viewer friendly".

The FINAL FU tries to ensure that no one gets hurt (blood can scare the little ones and turn off their parents, particularly a lot of the mothers out there). The scoring favors spin and jump kicks to make it flashy and more like the "movie-fu" and video games that much of the public expects and tune in to see. While this is a turn off to many hardcore martial artists (and more so to many of the wannabes), I would not be surprised if it becomes a hit with the demographics that they are looking for (which is a broader audience). It also probably was a lot easier sell to the "suits" at the network as the counter of ULTIMATE FIGHTER.

Before the show aired, I was promoting it to my students (I'm a 6th dan under Ernie, Jr.'s father and his name is on the door, so a hit with the
    Reyes name on it would be good for marketing), but after I saw it, I quietly backed off and ...well, let's just say I had my reservations. Today, before class, a bunch of the kids were telling me that "it was the coolest thing I've ever seen". Keep in mind that we live in a society/world where the "pro wrasllers"(though good athletes and stuntmen, I refuse to call them by the same name as real wrestlers) are household names, wealthy and famous. The champions of real wrestling are unknown to the general public. Ask your average kid who the top guys in WWF (or whichever is popular these days) are and they could tell you all about them. Ask the majority of posters on MAP (who you would think is a fairly well educated group on the subject) who the current heavyweight boxing champion is and most would be stumped (it is harder now since there is no unified title, but just name one).

Ernie, Jr. is an example of what I'm talking about as well. With this show, he is just making the most of an oppurtunity that has come his way, but he is a very hardcore fighter who has fought and won in both muay thai bouts and in K-1. Plus, his father has made sure that he has had extensive training in both submission grappling and NHB. However, is it his real world fighting ability that they are looking to showcase or his "tricking ability"?

In our schools' cirriculum, there is not one "trick" that you will ever be tested on. On gradings, students are judged on submission grappling/bjj, ground and pound, adrenal stress drills, MT, ect; but getting the majority of them to work on that is like pulling teeth with most of them. OTOH, we do offer an "aeriel kicks" class in our XPT class (our version of XMA) as a little once a week optional class as an extra and this is the class that they are breaking down the doors to get in and what they want to practice.

2. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Is this show aired in the UK?

3. Snake+CQC

Snake+CQC New Member

I only watch the show because I've met Matt Mullins at my friends house.

I'm not saying though that the show is good... remotely. And I HATE that guy who does EMC. Evolved Monkey Combat. What. The. Hell.

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'm going to do the happy dance!!!!!

GAY BOY IN TOP 4!!!! w00t!!!!

and buh-bye Matt Mullins!!!! w00t!!!!

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Oh my God.... you're hooked!
    [​IMG]

I'm now getting paid to watch it (doing a Nielson rating on it) ;) ... not sure if the $$$ is worth it though

6. tkdmusclerock

tkdmusclerock New Member

I saw a couple episodes. Maybe I'm too old or something but listening to a bunch of skillful but arrogant kids doing the tired my-style-can-beat-up-your-style routine ain't my idea of a good time. I'd rather watch Ernie Reyes Jr. teach these punks some manners, full-contact.

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I can stop any time I want. I just don't want to. Really. I mean it.

*sigh*

Fine.

*stands up*

My name is GangrelChilde, and I am addictied to Reality Television.

Happy? :p

8. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Gangrel, we all love you! This is for the best! Go with the nice young men in the white suits! (pulls the plug on the TV) :D

9. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I'd rather see his dad do it.

10. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Yeah!!! Jessica Made It!!!

11. RussianKenpo05

RussianKenpo05 Valued Member

I know this has been posted about before, but the irony of the show is great:
    It is called final Fu, which implies a chinese inclination, yet all the competitors either do japanese/okinawan karate or tae kwon do.....donde es the won ton soup is my question??

12. Zentenk

Zentenk Valued Member

I can't see how anyone can watch this, it is utter and complete crap. Maybe it is cool if you are below 13 yrs of age but Power Rangers puts it to shame. The form is better, and actual contact of the hits are harder in the Power Rangers. Not to mention they brag about how good they are at tapping someone repeatedly. Punches should have been .5 points instead of 2. They make Martial Arts look like crap, they should be ashamed of displaying and representing their MA in such a poor manner. I also laughed when the Gay guy said he would "prove gay's can fight"... what fight? I don't see any fight, just some tip tapping w/o fear of getting KTFO!

Final Fool is a much better suited name for the show.

13. ANCIENTMASTER

ANCIENTMASTER New Member

A travesty is an understatement, I just saw one of the pansy's land a decent punch to the even biggery pansy's throat and do some actual damage and it was the best milisecond of the entire series. So punching in the face defies the idea of Martial Arts? I'm not going to start another chicken and egg MMA vs TMA debate, alls I'm saying is that most of those MA's were not created for that purpose. A punch/strike to the face is the most basic and probably the most useful technique in all striking MA's. To factor it out and claim that it takes away from the spirit of MA is insulting. Imagine a basketball game that only allowed pretty slam dunks and took away points for a good jump shot. Final Fu is a falsified pathetic showcase. It should be cancelled immediately.

14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

this is just disgusting!! i watched it tonight and its completely pointless, a few espionage themed challanges and point fighting. they're trying to make a claim on a systems effectiveness based on POINT FIGHTING!! :bang:

15. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

As Reyes explained to Brian W, his biggest opponent was himself. He had let his emotions get the best of him. Having "control" is one of the rules of the game ..... no striking to the head (in this case a punch to the throat). They are playing a game in order to rack up points not to kill or harm their opponent.
    Different rules for different games, you see.

You have heard of unsportsmanlike foul shots in basketball haven't you? ;) ... I suppose this could be similar.

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Right, but surely you understand that playing baseball won't make you a good Linebacker. ;)

17. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I realize that.

:sigh: .... this is a reality show game, and it certainly isn't making claims that one style in more effective than another.

Or is it?? :eek:

18. MadMonk108

In the discussion of the same subject on Bullshido, a few of us came to the conclusion that part of the reason for the "wussy" rules may be because they wanted to have co-ed competition between their cute girls and metro boys. It makes for a more level playing field, and truthfully, I don't think I'd want to watch any of those girls getting slammed in the head with a round kick from a guy with a foot and fifty pounds on them.

JESSICA FTW!

19. MadMonk108

I thought it was.

20. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

well obviously the odds are in Tae Kwon Do's favour ;)

... Jessica? What about Ruby? :)