Most Senior?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by puma, Jun 5, 2009.

1. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

Your going to get him in deep **** talking about MMA! I don't think he would want that.
    "or make them look great" YUP! mines the same way. Can you interpret his art? Or at least try?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. chance

chance New Member

Sammy is almost 50 now, so I don't see him stepping into the octagon, but if it had come along a few years earlier I would have become a rich man taking peoples money who would bet against him. Guy has power like that of hydraulics coupled with the highest sensitivity, and like the old school guys he can do it all day long.

3. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

compressing the qi in the legs to power those hydraulics. Well I'd still be careful talking like that about MMA,bad karma.

4. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

There's a lot going on here that I'm not sure i understand. could you interpret this video for me.

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I posted it as a joke, it is some funny viewing :D

Its just some Iron Shirt + Musical Instruments demo stuff... yes weird!

They seem to be a bit obsessed with marketing that and LKJ. I think its kinda gay. There is a lot of weird stuff at that school, but they got some good stuff too. The guy in the beige pyjamas is actually my old teacher, he's a great guy and very skilful. But then again, I aint seen him, been there or properly trained their stuff since 2005, so maybe my mind will change now, but who knows.

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

If you were a smart gambler, you might reserve your judgement untill you went a few rounds with a quality MMA fighter the same size as Sam. Have you ?

Otherwise your frame of reference might not be as objective as it could be.

This isn't to put anyone down. But just a reality check not to get too carried away.. There are a lot of big tough, hard training people with great skills out there.

Put it this way, if this "anyone" were Brock Lesner I'd be ripping that cash out of your hands!

Not to mention Lyoto Machida, Frank Mir, Rampage, Randy Couture... etc..

Sam would be in a difficult spot to be fair. Firstly he doesn't look like he has anywhere near the conditioning for a pro MMA match. Second he has limited ground fighting - next to nothing compared to MMA fighters.
    On his back he'd be toast against these athletes, and sooner or later he'll be taken down due to him being far less conditioned. If he did take someone down there's also a good chance he'll be swept onto his back or submitted from gaurd.

Your support for your instructor is admirable, but no one is invincible and he simply doesn't have the experience and conditioning to compete with guys at that level of training, skills, strength and fitness.

However, that's just my opinion!

This is to take NOTHING away from Sam and his ability - you're the one making wild, unsabstantiated claims on his behalf. You're talking about proffesional that fight for a living. It's a shameful and dumb thing to do to be honest. Obviously Sam Masich would never be so foolish as to claim he would beat these MMA fighters.

If he was a bit younger, fitter and trained for it, he could hold his own I'm sure, maybe comfortably or even be very very good. Bottom line no one really knows.

I've worked with a few really good tai chi/ Ima people and I wouldn't dream of making those sort of claims for them. I suggest you get out more and experience some higher level guys at mma (maybe you have ?) before you lose your shirt betting on them losing to some 50 year old, relatively out of shape tai chi guy......

7. chance

chance New Member

I am sure Sam would like to be in better condition, and no doubt would be if he was pro fighting. Your assessment of his skills are not accurate. Your assessment of MMA fighters skills are in my opinion over rated. I see no intercepting skills in MMA what so ever, and I don't mean poor, I mean non-existent. I don't think Sam would need to be in that good of shape to deal with these fighters without any intercepting skills, it would be like a dot fighting a line. I would like to see Sam train one or two MMA fighters, I think it would change the whole game. What would be real fun is to be at the seminar when the demo is interrupted as usual by the biggest guy in the room that says "ya but whats it going to do against a guy like me", which always happens, and that's when the fun begins. After the big guy is invited to attack, once, twice, and three times, and dealt with at reg speed, and slow motion, and stop motion, with the same results no matter how hard the attacker tries to attack and resist. When every jaw in the room has hit the floor, and you can hear a pin drop.....is when you realize Sam is the man. A smart MMA fighter or two should seek him out, cause there are no MMA fighters with his type of skills that I have seen yet, and I do know what I am looking at.

Tai Chi skills, and Tai Chi Chuan in general is not well understood from the observer point, or from most practitioners as demonstrated by the guy here that thinks 'Push Hands' isn't a Judo-esk type of sparring technique. Granted it is far more subtle and intricate then the same Judo techniques, and since Tai Chi push hands are mid range technique, you can use them before the close range Judo techniques can be applied.

8. Wuming

Wuming Bored

You are embarrassing yourself with this adolescent fan boy rubbish. Does he also wear a cape, jump over buildings, stop bullets and outrun trains?

9. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

LOL.... take it easy man, everyone needs heroes to worship! :D

10. chance

chance New Member

I am describing real events that are repeated often, not fantasy. If you don't believe, come and see.

11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Well.. I allow room for him having very good to high level push hands/ grappling skills in the clinch range.

I have no idea what his striking is like or his kicking (in the fighting clip - not that great) and I assume he doesn't have that much submission grappling, ground fighting to speak of..

You say I'm over rating the skills of MMA guys, but maybe it is you who are underating them. And maybe overplaying the abilities of your teacher against them.. Just a thought..

How much training have you done in sub grappling/bjj for example ? It's beyond any arguable doubt that if you havn't trained for the ground game you'll have a great deal of trouble when it hits the ground in an mma match with someone who knows what they're doing there - and you can pretty much guarantee it will go there at some point.

Just sticking with that aspect, there are a fair few mma fighters who have black belts in bjj. If you think that isn't a very high level of skill then frankly you just don't know what you'r talking about, period. Some of the striking in MMA is also very skilled. And some of the wrestling.. Again you don't seem to quite understand what kind of level and training they are at.

Machida not very skilled, George Saint Pierre, Fedor (sambo) ? :rolleyes:

I very much doubt Sam Masich trains any where near that level. And why should he - he's not an MMA fighter! He's not a pro boxer etc.

I rate them by how they fight - against other top class opposition. That's a bit different from that one fighting clip of Sam Masich.. And you cannot compare with some random guy trying stuff against him at seminar(s).. It's just no where near the same.

You havn't fought competitively have you ?

This isn't doing you any favours to compare them. No one is ragging on him, or doubting he is very good and has good things to teach anyone, from any style. As I said earlier we can't compare like for like, so this is all the more meaningless to have this discussion.

But ok I'll agree to disagree here. You think your teacher is invincible even against all the top mma guys, I'm sceptical of that... Yeah, I can live with myself..

In fact I'd even say my tcc teacher is maybe just as good as yours, maybe better.. And I would bet you your $100 he would beat him in an MMA match. because he is AWESOME, because i say so. Not only that but my Dad would beat your Dad too. Like easily.

With a blindfold.

12. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Its like you hate this guy and want him to get beat up.....you may as well have posted his home address and stated that he feels paedophilia is ok.

On another note, his concept of ground fighting SUCKS.

Someone really should crosspost this to Bullshido, they must have a guy in Vancouver.

13. chance

chance New Member

Sam travels the globe yearly so if you would like to experience it for yourself he will be in your hood soon, check the schedule on his site. You can talk all you want. I am no longer of the age to competitively fight, though I have have been a tournament heavy weight champion, those were days before cage fighting.

MMA is just mixing in all of the ranges, Tai Chi Chuan also mixes the ranges. Ground fighting is not part of traditional Tai Chi Chuan training, though Tai Chi principles are effectively used in ground fighting.

MMA is a sport Tai Chi Chuan is an art. Like Liang Shouyu says "Sam take as many as 200 challenges a day, and not loose one. Sam is the very best at this"

14. puma

puma Valued Member

I'm confused. This Sam guy is the one in the 1988 clip fighting some guy in blue right? And your saying you'd back him to beat anyone? This must be a wind up? I think I'll give this thread a miss. Gone a bit off topic and silly.

15. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

O.k. which is it? You posted it as a joke OR their very skillful.
    No, there's a reason why people do things,like post this clip for instance,So how about interpreting it for me.

16. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

MMA is art too! You need to give those guys some respect. Their out there pulling off beautiful techniques while in the mist of all out combat. those guys are not playing and have intent to "get damage". You know why it's get damage? Because The fighter starts to think about how bad the injuries are. But the corner guy, Usually reassures them that it's not that bad and yells at him to go back out there and get the "WIN". I don't think normal taiji players are going that far into bad intentions.

O.k. i can see 200 push hand challenges a day,short one's! But i don't think you can say that any single one of them was with a guy who had bad intent.

Taiji principles on the ground are very limited and inferior to jujitsu. Trust me i do know, i do them both.

I'd like to meet Sam, I think he's real good. that clip from 88 was not the high level stuff. I didn't find it to be impressive at all. I'm sure he has come a long,long way since then.

Yes! dotted line/solid line is the right term. I posted on that a long time ago and no one got it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yeah, The master i train with sometimes appears Invincible. The real Interpretation of Yang style Is invincible,But people are flawed. I've thought of this a lot. My Sifu has 9" in height and 70LBS on me. I give him a good fight every time. He has never really completely defeated me,made me look stupid sometimes. But he can only keep fending me off.well i shouldn't say that .he relies a lot on environmental weapons.Which means he uses fajin to smash me into stuff. now the chen style guys,well they can't even fend me off,they lose. But I wouldn't consider them really that good. They should be very good,I don't get it. now wang hai jun is a different story. I don't think I want to find out. LOL!
    It would in fact be impossible for Sam to defeat my Sifu with taiji...
    My sifu uses pure heaven techniques,so there is no such thing as winning. There is no fighting mode,there is no self. It's either heaven is being supported or heaven is falling down.

Cheers to you and your Sifu.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  17. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Na, I posted that for a laugh. But, there is some interesting stuff at that school, but you have to go there and feel for yourself, vid wont do.

18. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

WOW look at this dance in this clip!
    I bet you that works or at least in part.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVQV6Ay0sss"]YouTube - Master Wang Wenyong[/ame]

19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

which makes your stance on conditioning and age factors in respect to highly competitive fighting like mma all the more surprising and removed from reality.

You've mentioned these challenges a few times but not once specified what type of challenges. perhaps you have no idea yourself ? Obviously they would be so far removed from full contact, full range fighting with men of similar size as to be completely irrelivent to your ill advised claims.

20. aware

aware New Member

I have a Question about movements conducted outside of time

Is it really martial arts when one can instantly move another, or others using an advanced form of chi. The danger of injury to another is very great. I don't see how I could ever justify using such a move for any purpose, other than one that was life theatening. Which most likely would never ever occur, unless I was foolish enough to put myself in such a place intentianally.
    At that stage, constant meditation becomes a neccesity for the rest of ones life. You can always go forward in knowledge, But! Going backwards is impossible. Once you learn it, you will alway know it. It's not something one can say that they have a 100% control of. It exist in the realm of the sub-concious mind, with only the will as the link. Only the concious mind records time as change. But! it is limited to 3 deminsions. The string theory proves we live in 11 deminsions. What they are like and how they work, we can only quess. Even the most advanced math sometimes can't even prove time exist. I think martial arts needs to be kept as an art, for the enjoyment of all its different forms, not a style that works on a level beyond our understanding.