MMA gyms in near or in manchester

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hcmini1989, Jan 16, 2016.

1. hcmini1989

hcmini1989 New Member

Hi Guys

Ive been doing traditional Japanese jiu jitsu for a while now and want something abit more full contact so I started doing some muay thai aswell wich I loved but due to the class times changing to around 6pm I couldn't get there after work .

So ive decided to try and find an MMA gym so I can do striking and ground work and hopefully with some sparring .Can anybody recommend anywhere for me ? I live in south Manchester I have trawled old threads on various forums and google and the majority of local gyms have closed down now or are in central Manchester wich isn't ideal getting to in rush hour .

So anybody help ?

thanks in advance

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Can't help really help, but good luck!

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Predators
    SBG
    FightingFit

All great gyms. Worth the tram/bus/cycle.

Where exactly in Manchester are you?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  4. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

No idea about mma gyms in your area.
    Training Muay thai and BJJ will help(not sure what jjj is exactly, but Joe Duffy is a black belt apparently)

5. Pretty In Pink

If it's not "true" JJJ then basically it's a mish mash of Karate, Judo and aikido. It's not great in a lot of places tbh. They kept saying Joe Duffy is a BB in it but tbh it means absolutely nothing. A TKD black belt (which Duffy is) would be more relevant stylistically speaking.

6. Knee Rider

There is lots of TJF 'JJJ' in manchester. Its a gendai system of German/Australian origin masquerading as traditional jujitsu. Could be that.

7. hcmini1989

hcmini1989 New Member

I'm in Wythenshawe ive checked out predators and the class times aren't ideal due to work commitments and there location (rush hour) SBG is a maybe as there in stockport so ill look into that and also fighting fit (not heard of that one before) and all input welcome guys

As for JJJ yes it is a mix of akido judo karate etc. Its good I'm not to keen on the karate kata`s but the groundwork,locks etc is really good stuff

8. Knee Rider

12 gauge
    Stealth BJJ
    2technicalmuaythai

All Stockport way

Predators have classes starting from 8pm for BJJ.

Also SBGmainline are under piccadilly station.

9. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

Seems funny how they keep calling him a JJJ-BB, rather than a TKD-BB. Do you think its because of the mish mash?
    He got some great weird boxing too.

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

It's probably "British Jujutsu" then. I'd wager that it's a modern style too.

Nothing wrong with that as such it's just handy to know what the background is, also imo it's good to recognise its roots and those who have worked at establishing it as an art over here.

It's its own thing and needs to be seen as such.

11. Pretty In Pink

It's just Joe Rogan misleading people (sort of). He is stateD as being a tkd BB too.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

13. hcmini1989

hcmini1989 New Member

cheers guys will get in touch with 12 gauge and pop down

thanks

14. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Fwiw Karl Tanswell use to train Gunnar Nelson, so if you could get to SBG you probably wouldn't regret it

15. hcmini1989

hcmini1989 New Member

im doing it as a hobby not to be competative so im not to fussed who trains out of where or who has trained there etc just after a good local gym .i would go to SBG but just traffic after work really isnt ideal .Cheers for the reccomendation though

cheers