MMA fights

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by vampyregirl, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2012
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Pulled. Out. Of. Ass.

3. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

You keep on using this word, but I do not think it means what you think it means...

4. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Thanks for clearing that up. Now, let's discuss, then. Do you think Abbott's wrestling background and boxing training makes him a "brawler" or a "martial artist"? Why or why not?

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah because no one wins MMA fights with armbars, triangles or heel hooks anymore. :(

6. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^lol

I think abbots self proclaimed "Pitt Fighter" rank in his early UFC appearances make people think of this...

[​IMG]

7. callsignfuzzy

My understanding is that it was less self-proclaimed and more promoter-invented. They already had wrestlers, and Abbott liked to hit people, too. They were still in the mindset of "style vs. style" at the time, so "street fighter" wouldn't have filled the mold they needed.

8. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

It doesn't matter what i think, it matters what he thinks and he never considered himself a martial artist.
    BTW Pedro Rizzo was good but inconsistent. Tank Abbot and Ken Shamrock were two big names on his resume.

9. callsignfuzzy

It certainly does matter what you think. That's why it's called a discussion.

And context is everything. Rizzo was inconsistant, but a fading Tank and a far-past-his-prime Shamrock are nothing to be proud of. Frankly, any Shamrock fight after his match with Frye doesn't do his opponent any favors as he was washed up by then. And I'm a Shamrock fan.

It'd help if you'd throw more than one line out about each fighter. It's like talking to a soundbite machine.

10. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

What do you think of GSP?

11. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

BTW, according to Tito Ortiz, i read his book This is Gonna Hurt, he was able to take Tank Abbot down at will when they sparred. He says he taught grappling to Tank and Tank taught him a lot about stand up fighting. Why is that if Tank was a seasoned grappler?

12. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Tito Ortiz also says he is the Muhammed Ali of MMA and claimed to have cracked his skull after the fight with Forrest Griffin.

13. callsignfuzzy

Um, I would think because Tank was out of practice and Ortiz was more technical. I'm technically a white belt in BJJ but have blue belts coming to me for technical advice. You can be "seasoned" at something and still need help or not be great at it. Of course, we're assuming that what Tito said was true; he also had beef with Abbott over allegedly (probably) holding his career back when he first started out.

And now you want to talk about GSP too? Are we going to talk about all of the fighters in this thread?

Fine. GSP is the most technically complete fighter in MMA in my oppinion. And he only loses so that we won't catch on that he's the last son of the planet Krypton.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Tito Ortiz and Tank Abbott mentioned in a thread about trends in MMA fights.....for an encore we can discuss how a stick beats rock or how much better mileage the Cortina gets when compared to the Model T

15. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I always thought Tank Abbot was underrated too. If he would have got out of the Don Frye submission earlier in the fight he would have won that fight. Fry had Tanks back forever, AND THEN tank started throwing REVERSE HEADBUTTS and actually landing them!!! amazing fighter hands down. A beast. And when he got up I will never foget Fry being winded Tank coming at him with fury and the crowd going wild.

its been years since I've seen that fight, even though Tank lost, he lost like a champ and a true warrior. If there wasnt a time limit or an overtime I think Tank had a much better chance.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Fuzzy = It'd help if you'd throw more than one line out about each fighter. It's like talking to a soundbite machine.

Vamp = What do you think of GSP?

Me = Hahahahahahahah.

Quality. :)

17. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^I thought I was the only one who caught that lol

18. Markninja

Markninja Valued Member

Tank is clearly a martial artist, with obvious experience in boxing and wrestling.
    Ortiz is/was an excellent wrestler, so being taken down alot against him doesn't mean you can't wrestle, just that Ortiz is a better wrestler.

19. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Kimbo Slice doesn't call himself a martial artist either. He OWNED Tank when they fought [ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz2yMz3it4E"]Kimbo Slice vs Tank Abbott - YouTube[/ame]

20. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

And then promptly disappeared after getting one-shotted by a last-minute replacement from a lower weight class. This is after training martial arts with Bas Rutten to prepare for the fight so it's a moot point anyway. Try again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.