Mizong-quan

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by onyomi, Jul 4, 2006.

1. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Here's my shifu doing Mizong-quan (Hidden Tracks Boxing), a relatively rare style that was apparently practiced by the founder of Jingwu, Huo Yuanjia (protagonist of "Hero"). He learned it at Hong Kong Jingwu (Huang Hanxun's school) while he was there being an actor/director. The footwork is really unique and confusing to the opponent. You may notice a lot of it looks backward as compared to most CMA footwork.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSe9-v6YWpE"]YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  2. Dai Yoshida

Dai Yoshida New Member

Always enjoy your videos.
    Too bad I have to be home to see them since my work doesn't allow youtube access.

3. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

It really wears its name well.

Honestly, I get the feeling this is a style that was made specifically to combat other kung fu styles, rather than fighting against other martial arts or against untrained/poking-with-a-sharpened-stick trained people.

I don't think I would want to practice this as a complete system, but there are a lot of "tricks" that could be gathered from there in order to baffle another kung fu practicionner.

4. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Also, I thought I'd mention that this form can be divided into three distinct sections: the first section focuses on qigong and is thus the slowest, the second section speeds up somewhat to focus on footwork, and the third is performed at high speed to focus on application.

5. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

I dig it.. too bad there is only one school in my metroplex that teaches it, and its on the opposite corner of it.. *doh*

6. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

Apart from the cool form the scenery is cool as well I always enjoy watching these :D :D

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I like these better because there is no slow-mo silliness. :D :D

That is a really great video though. It showcases his wrist power really well.

Man he's got strong wrists.

I like all the jumping/stomping footwork. It was very interesting.

8. Morkeleb

Morkeleb Valued Member

That looked really good to me. He knows what he is doing!

The jumping stomps is to generate power and to stabilize. We have similar jumps in some of our forms.

9. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

First of all, I love your shifu's "old school" haircut.
    If I ever make to Taiwan.... I'm going to be sure to find this guy's school.... from the videos you've posted, he looks really awesome.

10. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

11. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Oh, yeah. Thanks for pointing that out. They all kind of run together at some point.