mixing kickboxing with other stlyes

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by southern jester, Jun 8, 2007.

1. southern jester

southern jester New Member

hey themightymcclaw,

would muay thai or san shou be considered american kickboxing?

2. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

No, it would be considered Chinese rules or Thai rules. Though there are plenty of San Shou and Muay Thai events and gyms in the US.

It seems that when a lot of people say "kickboxing," they mean American Rules, aka Full Contact, aka Full Contact Karate, aka Long Pants, aka Kick Quotas and No Knees No Leg Kicks No Fun rules. We really need to get a slicker name for it. When I hear of a "Full Contact" fight, I assume they just mean any type of fighting which is Full Contact (ie, you win for a KO, instead of getting disqualified). When I hear "Full Contact Karate," I generally think of Kyokushin or one of it's offshoots.
    This is why I try to avoid ambiguous terms like "Kickboxing."

3. Bobyclumsyninja

Bobyclumsyninja New Member

I would say kickboxing could be loosely defined as, (aside from the rulesets) the fighting skills of using hands and feet wearing boxing gloves, and shoeless. The only thing common to the different 'kickboxing' styles seem to be the presence of boxing gloves. It's so hard to define such a broad thing as fighting with hands and feet, relative to all fighting. There's no good answer.

In san da (chinese kickboxing) there are throws allowed (that don't attack the joints) and all kicks and punches with the gloved part(that don't attack the joints)...and knees to the body..I think this is under USKBA sanctioning in the Northeastern USA. Our school's students compete against thai boxers under san da rules sometimes, I guess san da has events in this area.

When I'm out and about, I feel confident I can deal with issues of safety, and do from time to time. Body language does a lot, knowing you can scrap, discourages most such and such's uh....mischief. Sparring pretty hard gives a certain awareness of the body's realistic limits, and weaknesses. I would say kickboxing could be used as a term to define some people's self defense approach or mindset.
    Kick them, if need be, and box them into oblivion...if it comes to that.

p.s.

4. never_surrender

never_surrender New Member

This is kind of veering off part of the subject, but i am a DJ/Dance music enthusiast as well as an enthusiastic Kick Box student. Now in the dance music scene there are GENRES and SUB-GENRES which basically means derivatives of a certain genre which lean more towards 1 genre but is also showing signs of another genre like if you say Kick-boxing. They are 2 different genres fused together to form 1 genre (a sub-genre in itself) Now you have kick Boxing and Thai Boxing. Now say kick Boxing is House, and Thai Boxing is hard House. They both stay pretty much the same, only the name and a few elements/tempo's/origins Change. and you have other sub-genres which are generated from the first genre i/e, Chinese Kick Boxing = Tech-House or something and so on. I think the word DERIVATIVES pretty much sums it all up.

Would you say that Boxing is an original western martial art? (changing the subject slightly)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  5. relish

relish Valued Member

Man Kickboxing and Thai are world's apart! The clinch game, knees and especially elbows make a world of difference from American Kickboxing. There are similarities of course but I'd never call Kickboxing a derivative of Muay Thai (at least not to a Nak Muay's face :p ); the style of fighting is too different.

Boxing has probably been around since the dawn of man and as such I wouldn't call it a western art. The only western bit about it is the ruleset, televised and often over-hyped fights, fixing and the stupid amount of titles up for grabs!

6. never_surrender

I tend to find them both very similar as i tried Thai boxing before i went Kick boxing for a couple of months and apart from the rules, elbows, knees etc i thought they were both derivatives just i found Thai a bit more effort. All the same i think i have found my preference in Kick Boxing although as i said in some other thread, i would still like to learn TKD as well.

7. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

Maybe what my cousin was getting around to with this thread has to do with practicing Kickboxing for sport as opposed to self-defense. There I would be inclined to say if a person wants to participate in the sport the rules and techniques have to be followed. While for self-defense maybe keeping a broader mind is the better mouse-trap.

8. never_surrender

I think you might have gotten the wrong thread here Windtalker, but concentrating on your post, i very much want to learn Kick Boxing for its sport purposes as i want to achieve a higher standard both physically and competitively to keep those awards coming in and those belt colors changing.

The club i attend is also teaching self defense techniques so i don't have to advertise my true skills to any hoodies and granny bashing losers that decide they want my phone or money or ipod etc etc although it says on my licence that i am more than welcome to use Kick Boxing on them if the need be.

I dont mean to offend any hoodies or granny bashers that read these threads but i seriousely would take great pleasure in making you suffer some loud pain!

9. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

Maybe I did miss-understand where Jester intended to go with this thread? After reading back through I guess my answer to his question would be a little different. If you add something to Kickboxing (whatever he had in mind) then it's not just kickboxing any longer. Simple as that.

What do you mean that it says on your license that you are more than welcome to use Kickboxing on somebody if neccesary?