Missed belt test(not enoughmoney) Help Please

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Hapkido Student, Aug 22, 2005.

1. TigerAn1

TigerAn1 A Southern Praying Mantis

Been there, done that. Just push through it. You might try to cut a deal with your instructor if it's not too late - 1/2 and 1/2 sort of thing. If not, you can learn a lot the second time through. Trying working with different partners and perfecting the techniques. You'll be surprised in the subtle differences, and workarounds you'll find. I truly believe most people don't really "learn" the techniques the first time around. I think they just learn enough to get by the test. This is a good op for you to really dig into it. Make the best of it!

2. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Well, I am not a Hapkito practitioner myself, but if you stay down a rank cuz you can't buy it, I'd find another school...my children, wife or myself have never paid for a test, it's part of gym membership and earned by skill, not money.

I would submit that your instructors motives are bias...very sad that martial arts have come to this, but I also realize it's common. The idea of making income on awarding people belts is a double edged sword...thats what has given birth to the McDojo

3. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

Very true..I've seen some of that a few night's ago. My techniques are natural now. Plus he let's me learn the new move's and everytime we belt test he make's us do every belt level test as well. Like ok when he call's up white belt's and your a blue belt (for example) You get up as well all the time until you get to your bet and then you do that as well. So it's kind of difficult. :) I love it. Ohhh! And it turn's out that our dojang will be moving. Were going like right down the street and with all of the money we payed for testing he's going to get us a alot of new thing's new uniform's mat's free kickboxing as well. That work's out good since I'm learning my flip's and jumpign kick's. YEAHHH!..Lol Thank's everyone I'm loving these suggestion's :) they really have helped me out!

4. Bob1770

Bob1770 Valued Member

Wading through! If your instructor won't let you test based on a money issue, I say to hell with him, period. I have been through some tough times since I began Hapkido, and my instructor is more concerned about passing the art along than when he will receive payment. I am charged $25.00 for a testing, which is just around the cost of the belt that I am provided with when and if I pass the test. A worthy instructor doesn't train students for the sole purpose of making money, but rather for the purpose of passing the art on as it was taught to them. We train harder in one class than the other two Hapkido classes in our area train in a week. I suppose my instructor is a rare breed, and I feel sorry for anyone who accepts anything less.

5. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Wow, what kind of belts do Hapkidoists wear? My belts have cost $4 each...

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

and
    It's tough to make the call without knowing about the school more. There are sometimes when belt systems and testings are used to pad the wallets of less moral school owners. However, it's difficult to label people that on the basis of the test/belt cost alone.

For example, we charge $30/test, which covers the certificate, the actual belt, and other costs of the school. We decided to charge a clear separate cost for testing so we didn't have to hide it in the tuition. Most school owners (and I would add the owner of the gym you train in) figure up the total amount of money they need (or want) and divide it among the students (or potential students). Schools that "don't charge for testing" make the costs up in other ways. We prefer to do it openly...

As for skill... that's not related to money. Some schools charge a lot and some don't. Ultimately it's up to the students to decide if the program is worth the money and vote with their feet and wallets.

This thread here http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38413 gets into the issues of cost and belt and offers several really good points of view... Sonshu and I had a long debate on it. Check it out if interested. :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  7. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Of course, running any gym has costs that need to be covered, no doubt about that. I consider paying for belt tests more "hidden" charge than just including in a flat tuititon fee. I pay x amount per year (which I might add is far less than ANY other gym in the area) for my whole family, which includes unlimited classes, any belt testing that we earn...there are no contracts, no dues for this or that added into it. Which I think is cool, personally. But, everybody runs a gym differently, as long as the students are happy, it's all good.

My main issue with charging for a test is the bias it could introduce...if the heating bill has to be paid..."well, Bill is almost ready for his blue belt, lets test him". See what I am saying? It is an easy step toward becoming a McDojo. With no additional fee involved, it's more likely the instructor will test when he or she know you are darn good and ready...

Thats the way I see it anyway, not saying it's the only way, and obviously isn't.

8. dngrruss

dngrruss Valued Member

It isn't necessary, but when I am antagonized and subtly accused of bilking my students, I tend to rise to the bait with, at least, biting sarcasm.

Is it me, or is this thread beginning to reek of a well beaten horse of the deceased pursuasion?

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Nice to hear you have a nice setup... and agree that if the students are happy (feel the quality and costs match), it's all good.
    I agree. I think there's potential abuse everywhere and I think many people have succumbed to it as well. Hopefully attentive students and instructors can keep it out of their dojangs!

10. Legless_Marine

Legless_Marine Banned Banned

I know it can be frustrating to not learn new techniques, but there's a hidden opportunity here to revisit your weaker points, and perfect known techniques.

Instead of exploring new territory, mine the territory you have for the gold that is there.

I firmly believe you'll be better off for it in the long term.

11. MasterBob

MasterBob Valued Member

Sure it cost money to operate a school, but I made a choice years ago not to charge students for belt testing other than for Black Belt. It cost me $2.39 for a belt and another $5.00 for a certificate from ICHF. So in reality, I'm giving students back $7.39 for their hard work. I feel it's a small price to pay. Plus when I need something done in the school like painting, fixing the plumbing, web site design, etc.. the students are more than willing to step up to the plate and help out. It's been a win / win arrangement for me.

Master Bob Ingersoll
    Self Defense America
    CA State Director / ICHF
    ;)

12. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

By far one of the best deal's yet. I've never heard of this being done before. I alway's thought that it was alot more money then that. The one thing that get's you is the large amount of people attending the class but, hey Getting the dojang painted and doing all the handy work would cost just as much even more. I like that great choice of doing thing's. Thank's for your input. :D