Mini Map Meet (DART Sim Day 6)

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by John Titchen, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The correct video ;) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn8GOIbWSEU&feature=g-u-u"]Sim Day 6 Scenario 6 - YouTube[/ame]

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Anyone else noticed any non-martial gains? I'm finding myself more confident and assertive, and less concerned by stressful situations.

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Sorry.

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I think I'd need more sessions to get noticeable gains like that; I'm generally quite assertive and confident. Though I hate swearing and shouting at people without reason, as I found out!

6. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Less concerned by physical confrontation or just deciding that stress where no-one is actively trying concave your face barely counts as stress at all :p

In line with comments from most others, my guard was pretty poor in the videos, and I'm pretty sure I used to get my face out the way when someone tried to hit it...

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

8. John Titchen

We had another Sim Day yesterday. As two Mappers attended I'll post some of the videos up here. LateforDinner is in brown and Oddbodskins is in khaki.

These videos include profanity right from the start.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktbquxg2phk"]Sim Day 7 Acclimatisation Part 1 August 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siCSJx8MrI8"]Sim Day 7 Acclimatisation Part Two August 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

9. Llamageddon

Were they better than us, jwt? Be honest, I can take it... honest...

10. John Titchen

They were very different to you. Four of the trainees had under two years of training under their belt and hadn't experienced this type of training before, while a further 3 hadn't had this form of training. It created a different dynamic throughout the day.

11. Llamageddon

That's code, isn't it?! I'll never live it down!

(OK, sorry, we had our time, only fair everyone gets a chance to discuss their debrief)

12. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

I'm still not sure why I got stuck getting kneed in the nuts when everyone else had those nice haymakers to work from...

13. John Titchen

You had Alex. I think he wanted a bit of variety.

14. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Well, couldn't have him getting bored! I notice looking at it again now that I guard with one high and one low hand, which is probably 'cos it's how I fight as well, I know when you're discussing the guard you look at it in terms of two hands but I've found that never works as well for me. Also, again, third clip could have been a lot quicker with less ineffectual headbutts and a couple of uppercuts :( Think I got too stuck on 'down then strike'. I still blame the night shifts! I'd just as soon not mention the middle one, scrappy isn't in it.

15. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

It is counter-intuitive and it takes familiarity with a person's skill/limitations before it's safe to go 100% offensive, even in drills. If I were doing training there, my goal would probably be pulled punches until I felt comfortable in everyones safety. Even a gentle gyration of the visor (um, touch it...) could be theatrically disorienting enough as a learning tool.

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

That video of Late For Dinner is the first time I've seen a helmet come off during training (quiet at the back). Any thoughts on that JWT?

Mitch

17. John Titchen

The head strikes are always pulled. That doesn't make them particularly nice for the recipients. The helmets only take out a tiny bit of the sting - they are not heavily padded and are really there to prevent bruising plus injury to the bone structure and eyes. The brain stem still gets a nasty shake and it hurts to get hit in the head.

Before the acclimatisation stage shown here in the video I get a chance to look at trainee medical history, hear training history, conduct multiple safety briefs, observe how keen/reluctant and proficient trainees are in making contact and how keen/reluctant and proficient trainees are in focusing aggression onto another person as opposed to an inanimate object at the drop of the hat. That colours the choices I make when it comes to pairing people for the acclimatisation shown in the videos above.

18. John Titchen

The strap had become twisted. As a result the velcro hardly had any contact. This hadn't been spotted and the level of contact at the back of the head pulled the two bits apart with continued contact causing its removal.

Edit: This can't happen with the Spartan Helmet as it has a double securing mechanism. The Blitz helmets are also doubly secured.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  19. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

A timid training partner is a lot better an than overly zealous one. Once you familiarize yourself with the people and their limitations, that should ease up for you. Also, the more experienced you become in your MA, the more confidence you will have in that ideal safety vs. realism threshold.

Knife defense IS possible. It can happen. The adrenaline of the situation just tunnel-visioned you. It happens. If you'e never trained to spot body language with improvised or concealed weaponry, of course you're gonna be bad at something so subtle and initially challenging. Once you've been on the receiving end of enough weapons though, you get real familiar with those pre-fight queues that are critical to surviving abrupt violence. Hopefully, you never have a need to become too experienced at that though. The margin for error is too steep.

20. John Titchen

I think perhaps you should start a thread on this in the General Discussions area. It is something I disagree with and I think the pros and cons would be better discussed elsewhere.