Mike Tyson v Lennox Lewis

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Timmy Boy, May 4, 2005.

1. Avidaniel

Avidaniel Valued Member

Anyone who thinks boxing is bland should watch the fights between
    Mickey Ward and Gatti
    All of them

2. Slavist

Slavist New Member

Can someone rehost pls? I am oing to rehost, once it is available once again

3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

i think Lewis shows the skill of a boxer to a great extent - fighting with the most practical of skills and letting/showing no emotion get in the way of his fight.

I think Lewis shows his skill as a Martial Artist better because of this.

4. Ricree101

Ricree101 Valued Member

Honestly, I usually prefer watching MMA matches over watching boxing. That said, this was a pretty good video. Thanks for posting it.

5. Slavist

Slavist New Member

Well, is someone going to rehost it? Thanks

6. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I was thinking you were gonna say something else but anyway.

36 wins, 1 loss, 31 KOs.

Hardly a record to be snuffed at, he had a right to be cocky really! Ali was the king of cockiness, I don't know how you can criticise someone with such a good record for being cocky and then say how great Ali was. Some people don't like it but it worked for him generally, gave him the psychological advantage which can be key in any sport. He was a great boxer. So what if he had a glass chin, only one person really exposed it! Ali got knocked down his fair share of times and had a solid chin, does that make him any different? Ali's record:

56 Wins, 5 Loss, 37 Knockouts

Better? Yes, but with more fights he got a few more losses and only a handful more KOs than Nas. Naseem retired because he got what he wanted from boxing and didn't want to carry on. I thought that was evident before his last fight, and then he showed it when he quit. It was a good decision IMO, he got beat so he stopped fighting - he's wadded and isn't likely to get any brain damage etc. which was why he stopped. Much of a hero Ali was, he now has Parkinsons which undoubtedly associated with boxing and some of the intense beatings he took in his "heroic" fights.

I don't understand how you can criticise Nas for being arrogant when Ali was the most arrogant boxer ever. He nicknamed himself the greatest, and said what round he was going to knock people out in before the fights. Not arrogant or a lack of respect? Prince knew he was going to win like Ali, and only one person proved him wrong - how is it any different to Ali? I'm not knocking Ali here, I have him on my walls, he is a legend but you can't knock Nas for arrogance then say how great Ali was.

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  7. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Its a different type of arrogance. Ali was an entertainer. The press conferences would be a laugh, the cameras loved him and his arrogance was....well....Funny.
    Where as Naseems isnt. He could be threatening at times even.

I dont know what it is, i just see Naseem while hes being cocky, and think "what an a***hole" But i actually laugh at Ali, or just, like i said, find him entertaining.

Also, i think another factor is that when Naseem was losing he would still continue to be cocky, yet Ali was pretty concentrated if he found himself in a sticky situation. A lot of Alis cockiness was outside of the ring (granted he was cocky in the ring, but at the right times) He would talk the talk, and then, walk the walk.

I dont know. But thats what i think.

What did you think i was going to say? :)

8. Slavist

Slavist New Member

what a helpful bunch!!!!

can someone please rehost the fricking video?

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

10. Faminedynasty

Faminedynasty Valued Member

A few brief points:
    1)Tyson was a monstrous fighter in his prime but he will be remembered more for his insanity than anything else.
    2)Lewis was a great fighter, technically brilliant. But his legacy is slightly diminished as he will be remembered for being run out of boxing by Vitali Klitschko.
    3)Boxing is not bland.
    4)The difference between the arrogance of Ali And Naseem is that (aside from Ali's being more justified) Ali was empowering black people and inventing hip hop, serving as a social icon for the powerless and as a leader of the anti-Vietnam War movement whereas Naseem and 98% of other boxers since were just doing a terrible job of trying to act like Ali.
    In my humble opinion, as always.

11. scottTKD

scottTKD New Member

tyson has no chance!!

12. Jester

Jester I elbow, therefore I am.

I can honestly see why some people find boxing bland. I am not a big super fan of boxing but I will watch a match now and then. The reason why I think people find boxing bland is that if you are an "average" fan and just watch the fights that are free on TV you don't get a good show for the most part. Every now and then you get a memorable fight, but it isn't like the old days when you'd turn on your TV on a Saturday afternoon and catch a title fight. It's all about the PPV's now so only the die-hards or those with money to burn (or those of us who can "find" the fights on the net) can see the good fights.

As for Lewis, you gotta appreciate a 6'5" guy whose best punch is a jab. He may not be flashy but he was definately a great fighter. The thing that people hold against him is that he never had any "wars" in the ring to show his stuff. Least that's what I think in my limited view of boxing.

13. Grizzlygrime

Grizzlygrime New Member

I met Lewis about 3 weeks after he beat Mike Tyson at 52 degrees north a night club in Birmingham, i strolled over towards his table and said Lewis you did a number on Tyson, he laughed stood up and shook my hand and passed me a bottled my budweiser from his table, and then i went about my business.

14. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I enjoyed watching lennox lewis fight more than tyson. I think he's a much better technical fighter. I enjoy that much more than most of mike tyson's fights.

15. Wayward_Son

Wayward_Son New Member

"I enjoyed watching lennox lewis fight more than tyson. I think he's a much better technical fighter. I enjoy that much more than most of mike tyson's fights."

I agree. I remember watching that fight while at a local sports bar, and I enjoyed every second of it. Lennox is definitely a pugilist. He destroyed Tyson on beautiful, technical calculation. Efficient and effective. Smart boxing.

16. Jester

Jester I elbow, therefore I am.

That's how I felt when I saw Barrera soundly beat Naseem.

17. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I'd also like to say that I find boxing/Thai boxing to be the most exciting of combat sports.

18. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

gee i wonder hopw entertaining frazer thought it was when ali...

1. called him an uncle tom
    2. implied that he was a race traitor

i bet the son of a share cropper (frazer) thought that was real...was....well....Funny

19. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

runn out by klitschko...i beleive he won the fight...and he was no young man ether

20. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i forgot the gorilla coment too.