Mike Tyson v Lennox Lewis

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Timmy Boy, May 4, 2005.

1. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Mike Tyson v Lennox Lewis video

Anything Ikken can do, I can do better (he says, sitting at his computer desk on the other side of the world :D), so I decided to post a fight video. This is the second fight between Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson. I particularly recommend it to people who hate Tyson.

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2G2LZU2GGSX7227L3XIVD68O3I

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

this yousendit thing is really catching on :D

just goes to show that if you could have one punch, it should be the jab.

3. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Im not a fan of Lewis, he has no personality about him, and his boxing skills, as good as they are, have no flare. In a few years time, what will we remember him for, his jab? Where as Tyson, in years to come people will still be speculating that he was the most exciting fighter about, and that we didnt see him in his full prime etc.

And shouldnt this be in the boxing section, sorry to steal your thunder timmy :)

4. Ricree101

Ricree101 Valued Member

Yeah, we'll remember Tyson for quite a while, but that isn't exactly helping him right now.

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I think you just showed that you aren't really a boxing fan. Tyson, exciting yes but he lost. Lewis outclassed him. Whether that would have happened 15 years ago is another matter, but even so, Lewis owned him with the jab. Saying someone just has a jab is like saying Randy Couture is "just a wrestler". The jab is the key to boxing, especially if you are as big as Lewis. If you want flair try Arturo Gatti a few classes down or try watching WWE. Lewis fought that fight perfectly.

You know what, much as I slagged Tyson after what I heard and saw of that fight, I have to take a bit back and give him some credit. He stuck at it, and before that last round he knew he was beaten by the better man. He tried his game, Lewis kept holding him and then pushing him away when he got told off for that - pretty much stopped Tyson getting inside and staying there which is his whole game. I think 15 years ago he would have had Lewis beaten because he could have kept trying that left hook longer and maybe wouldn't have had to start holding when he got too close.

Incidentally, I wonder if Tyson is a left footed kicker? Obviously he didn't play much football or anything, but I'm just wondering if it applies here. I feel really strong on my left hooks, and I definitely think it's majorly down to playing a lot of football over the years and kicking with my left foot, the mechanics definitely transfer over.

6. Jamo2

Not a boxing fan? I have been an avid boxing fan since i could spell it.
    But, i think you got the wrong end of the stick here, let me explain.
    What i was trying to say about lewis is that he has no protruding elements about him that really makes me a fan. He is an awesome boxer, a very strategical boxer, yet i still find him very "plain". I still watch his fights (or watched) and i do enjoy them, but none of them in my eyes are "classic fights".
    I find it the same with a lot of heavyweights today mind, Thats why the class isnt the highlight of boxing like it used to be. IMO Barrera, Morales, Pacquiao, Chavez, people like that are ruling the ring today.

"Tyson, exciting yes but he lost. Lewis outclassed him."

Just because he won, still doesnt make me a fan.

It all comes down to this: If i was younger, i would have posters of Tyson or Ali on my wall, yet Lewis, even if he was the best boxer in the world, i still wouldnt be able to find a poster of him.
    What your saying doesnt quite add up, Your saying about how good of a boxer Lewis is, yet its not a reason to be a fan.
    Who preffered Frazier over Ali? not a lot of people, yet Frazier beat Ali (this is a bit controversial so ill leave it at that.)

Morales is my favorite fighter of all time, i love his style, just the way he is. Yet i think Barrera is maybe the better boxer.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  7. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

I heared that MT was thinking about going in the cage MMA?? does anyone have an update on that?

Mind you a cage might be the best place for him, but would you want to get into a clinch with him with a bite like that?????

8. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Hes in big need of money I hear, so doesnt surprise me in the slightest.

9. Jamo2

He owes the American taxman 20mil apparently. And thats just what we know about.
    My father went to Vegas to watch the Lewis V Tyson fight, and sat next to a few people who were close to Tyson. They told him a few stories and hearing them it doesnt surprise me at all hes bankrupt.

10. Timmy Boy

I dunno about that, when I watch a fight, my favourite fighters to watch are the ones who show really good technical skill. I think that's flair in itself - just doing it by the book, no fancy tricks. Having said that though, I haven't been watching boxing long.

I'll leave that one to the mods, but I would have thought it would be happy here since we're posting all kinds of martial arts fights here.

11. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Lewis was the only Boxer i could ever tolerate for any length of time. boxing is too dull for me, too bland. but the few fights i did enjoy were of lewis.

12. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Bland?

BLAND!!!????!!!!

You must have never watched a classic boxing match...some of the lightweight ones are good to watch - the way they glide past punches, we are talking inches in a bob and weave, its like poetry in motion!!!

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

VERY BLAND. you must have never seen a classic MMA match,

14. Timmy Boy

Once again, if tekkengod thinks it is bland, that means it is bland - there's no way anyone can think differently.

15. Ad McG

I understand the concept of a boxer having flair and this making them more exciting - I love boxers like Ali, Naseem and Gatti. I just don't understand how you think it's so important to remember someone for something or make them notable for something. He was just a very good tactical boxer, that's all I'm saying.

16. Jamo2

Fair dos, just telling you the reasons why i wont rush to see a Lewis fight. But next totally off topic point now= You liked naseem?!?! :eek:
    :rolleyes:

17. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

tekkengod, please crawl back under the rock whence you came. just because something isnt MMA doesn't make it boring. Go watch a RJJ beatdown and call it "boring"

18. Ad McG

Errr... yeah! No denying how good he was. I think the attitude comes along with many champions like that. He was one fast, hard puncher. What didn't you like about him?

19. Jamo2

Well first of all his cockiness. It wasnt actually being cocky, Ali was cocky and he was great, but Hamed was a different kind of cocky. Arrogance maybe. He had a glass chin, and yet would look at his opponent after being wobbled like "ha, didnt even affect me" well it obviously did we just saw you cling to the ropes and hang on for dear life.
    Some people would say for that reason he had heart. I am not one of those people im afraid.
    His lack of respect is the best way to describe it.

And he came up against a formidable boxer, Barrera, got knocked about the ring then quit. Surely a better boxer, one with more staying power would learn from his mistakes and come back.

Thats why i dont like the chap. :Angel:

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

VERY BLAND. you must have never seen a classic MMA match,

I find this funny verging on ridiculous - if boxing is so bland - why would you bother to take the time to post in what is cleary a boxing thread? :confused:
    :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

z-z-z-z-z-z-z

BACK TO BOXING....

one that'd have to rank up there is the recent Morales v.s. Paquiao!

Brilliant match!

Last edited: May 5, 2005