Met Police MA clubs

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by budogirl, Sep 26, 2004.

1. budogirl

budogirl Armed and fabulous!

I have recently joined the Metropolitan Police Service as civilian staff and am hoping to join an in-house martial art club. The most well known seems to be Judo but as I currently study Kempo Jujitsu, I don't want to do Judo.
    There is also Karate, Aikido, Kendo and Boxing. And I can't decide between them!
    Are there any Met police Mappers out there who could advise me? Or anyone else with your personal opinion and reason(s) will be appreciated. :D

P.S. I also want to join the pistol/ rifle shooting and flying clubs but money and time seem to rule those out for now :cry:

2. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Depends on what you're after. If you want to be a really good striker, and be able to take punches to the head & body, take boxing. If not, take one of the other ones.

3. bvermillion

bvermillion Valued Member

I am personally a big fan of Hapkido. It teaches all ranges of fighting. They teach you to control you opponent first then to destroy them if need be.

4. budogirl

Bvermillion - Control and destroy? Sounds like my Jujitsu syllabus!
    E rocker - boxing does tempt me but I guess I need to find out if it's a mixed group. I'm not keen on being the only female there.

5. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Fair point. Why don't you try a lesson at each of the clubs and see what you like best?

6. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Try them all and see which CLASS is the best. One may tempt you more then the other but if the instructor and class atmosphere are pants then it won't be of any use to you.

7. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

I can think of some good jokes about dressing up in various ethnic disguises and seeing which club gives you the best beating........

But I won't go there.....

Paul

8. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Only joking.......

But bet the CHiPS guys are sitting outside the house tomorrow......

30 mph.......30mph........30mph........

Paul

9. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

budo, hey, what's wrong with Judo? :D I mean we don't have the cool blue gis or suave accents, but got to start somewhere, right?

Best wishes from a former LEO. Need any help with firearms training just give us a shout. :Angel:

10. budogirl

You're all so right (with the exception of PaulS re ethnic disguises!! :) ) I think I'll go to each class and see what they're like. Knowing my luck I'll fancy doing the crazy sword stuff and the class will clash with my Jujitsu or something.
    El Tejon - my brother's a cop and is thinking of joining a shooting club with me cos maybe the Met will be issued with guns before he retires - they do pistol :D :D :D , rifle :) and clay pigeon :rolleyes:
    Guess by the smilies which one I'm going for?!!!

p.s. Judo is cool but too similar to Jujitsu for my liking

11. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Aikido may be a good complement to your existing skills. Ask for a demo by their instructors to see if the techniques appeal. There's a huge variety of styles and teachers. Yoshinkan is used by the Tokyo riot police and has more linear and direct 'Self Defence' moves, in my opinion, but you may find a 'traditional style' that makes Steven Seagal look wimpish. Give it a go.

12. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

i wouldn't worry about anything clashing with your skills or even complimenting them in the case of judo. I just saw Guro Dan Inasonto yesterday and one thing he impressed upon me was just how important it is to get variety, have an open mind and experience everything, even if you think you've experienced it before.

i think you should TRY all the classes, and i don't think Kendo could "clash" with you, if anything it would round out your skill set just like all the other arts if they are taught well.

good luck, sounds like a fun spot to say the least :)