memoirs of a geisha

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by saikyou, May 22, 2004.

1. saikyou

saikyou New Member

anybody who have read this? its good! it really gave me a picture of Japan and their culture. it has a nice story and the delivery of the story is very good.

2. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I read it and loved it. It was a great book. However, I'd argue that it didn't really give you such a great insight into Japanese culture since large amounts of it were made up. I'm not arguing with its entertainment level, but if you want an insight into the geisha culture, read Geisha, a Life by Mineko Iwasaki. Mineko was the woman that Arthur Golden interviewed to produce the book, and soon after Memoirs of a Geisha came out, she released her own book, and there are many contradictions, the ceremony revolving around mizuage being one of the greatest. Take your pick on who you belive, the geisha who lived there, or an American who tells a story.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

My Japanese teacher said it's really inaccurate. It's full of misconceptions.

I've never read it though.

PL

4. saikyou

saikyou New Member

is that so? a little dissapointment for me but thats ok. :D ive not seen that book booksie, i guess its much better. still, i luv that novel.

5. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

I did enjoy reading that book, but it is true that it was not the most accurate portrayal I have heard of. The women whose life it was based on didn't like it at all and wrote another book with another author. Haven't read it though. There is an interesting book called Geisha by Liza Dalby. She was an American anthropolgy student who became a geisha and wrote the ethnography about geishas. Pretty good I thought.

6. KTJWMark

KTJWMark New Member

I thought the book was wonderful. I also wrote a review of it, should you be interested (or need a cure for insomnia). You can check it out here:

http://www.karatethejapaneseway.com/floating_world/memoirs_of_a_geisha.html

As for a more realistic portrayal of life as a geisha, I would really recommend this book. It is far more biographical and based on someone who lived that life at the turn of the century (the last century... not this one!)

http://www.karatethejapaneseway.com/books_on_japan/sadayakko.html

Oh, and there is this neat little book too. Also biographical and more contemporary:

http://www.karatethejapaneseway.com/books_on_japan/geisha_a_life.html

Like most people interested in Japan, I think the life of geisha is quite fascinating. Tough work. Unbelievable at times. It is like trying to imagine what people on other planets do for fun, or what kind of sandwiches they might find tasty. We really have no idea...

Mark Groenewold

7. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I've read Memoirs, Geisha: A Life and Geisha. All fascinating books, but Memoirs was definately fiction. The other 2 were autobiographical, yet all 3 gave valuable glimpses into Japanese life. Just glimpses mind you, it would take a lot more than a few books to really start to try and understand.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Definately more than a few books. Japan is totally backwards to any other country on the planet.

I heard how some kid cut off a younger classmates head, and stuck a note in his mouth complaining on how much the school system sucks. But it's true, the system does suck. They aren't given any chance to think for themselves. It's all memorization.

PL