Me Sparring

Discussion in 'Karate' started by MissKarate, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

fit and athletic, but not much to do with martial arts?

2. Fish Of Doom

nevermind, i just saw him kick someone in the face :p

he could do well in WTF tkd or another similar full-contact ruleset, most likely

3. Fish Of Doom

double post

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Chloe Bruce would be fine if she was ever attacked by anyone on stilts. The rest of us need not worry, since she's clearly never been taught to kick at a sensible height.

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

to be fair she'd beat me in a fight. I'd go blind.

6. MissKarate

MissKarate Sankukai Karate

Yes, her kicks are very high. Oh, how I love Martial Arts.

7. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

My my.
    You were brilliant.
    pretty much what everyone else has been saying though. =P
    yes you do need to try and keep your guard up, its a natural reflex to try and catch the other person's fists but that's a very bad idea unless you know exactly what you're doing.
    Try this. Keep your guard up, try catching low punches with your elbows and dodging or blocking high punches. One of my seniors taught me this, its pretty effective and hurts the opponent's knucks. and the force of their blow kind of acts like a lever on your arm and gives you added explosiveness for a counter punch.

I'm not very experienced yet though, see what the others have to say about my advice and i'f they like it, give it a try =)

8. MissKarate

Thanks, I shall try it even if it don't work :)

9. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

The only reason why Chloe Bruce would beat me is cuz I'd me mesmerized by the sight of her....that I'd forget about her scorpion kick.... ;) :p

10. MissKarate

11. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Great job and ferocity. ;)

The guard thing already beat to death.

I would say try to check more leg kicks with your shins, I guess it's more of a Thai boxing thing but the best defense against low kicks.

Another defense against low kicks (if you tend to spar bigger/taller people) is to use the lead push kick to their thigh right as the kick gets fired.

If you use more lateral footwork it will help. When you throw the round house (you don't have to do this if the situation is bad), like on a counter or if you are stepping forward, don't just take a direct step forward but forward and a TINY bit to the side (this is just your legs, your body shouldn't move so much mind), this will open up your hips allowing your round kick for more power/hip torque. One of my teachers always says you kick with your hip, not your leg, I always try to remember this.

All these things just take time and experience, you have a very long time to improve and everything. Hope this helps and just train hard. xD

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  12. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

Infrazael, the looked more like very poorly executed Ashi Barai, rather than leg kicks. Also just as a port of call, i don't know much about Sankukai, but from what i read is based on Shukokai, so also, not really many leg kicks, but many Ashi Barai.
    @ Misskarate: Widen your stance up a little maybe a half a foots distance. it'll give you better balance and will make sure you don't get completely axed over like in the end of that vid, as often.

13. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Whatever it is called (I'm not a Karateka so don't kill me), it was his leg attacking her leg whether poorly executed or not is another thing altogether. :)

Whether a leg kick against me is really strong or really terrible I'm still gonna try to check it.

I'm just saying, develop the habit, it will be useful if she fights in knockdown Karate competitions, Kyokushin guys kick to the leg a lot.

14. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

But why check something when you can make it miss? i wasn't Flaming you but your diagnosing a different proble to the one she's got, unsless... Is it possible to fend off a take down attempt with a leg check? because the thing your getting her do check are take downs, (simmilar to a reap) and it worked in the vid when she fell over. She'll learn to look for it and simply step over eventually. but really
    @Misskarate: just keep going to class and practicing, you'll pick up sparring, because it's where all your good form in kihon and precision in Kata meet for awesome Kumite. and that was continuous, if it was points youd've won. At whatever your ambition, let you sensei know, He's your greatest training Asset, worth a million instructional videos and articles, and makiwara. if you want to do knockdown touneys, ask him to train you for it, points same, kata, same, if he won't find a Dojo that will. If you can't stand leaving your Dojo, ask you Sensei if he can advise you toward a Sensei in your style or that he know's who you can seek training from.

15. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Infrazael, Gorinosho has probably got you on this one. However, what you said is still solid advice for actual leg kicks!

Usually in non knockdown karate thigh kicks arent always allowed, with the only legitimate target being between the foot and knee. The easiest way to defend against these is to literally get your leg out of the way. MissKarate, you'll have to study your opponents and look to see if they have any tells before they launch an ashi barai, then all you need to do is lift your leg up a bit. Turn it in to a mae geri if you can! Stuff like this will become second nature, trust me.

Also, listen to Infrazael's advice on opening up the hips on mawashi geris.

(never thought I'd say that! :p )

16. Ancientharp

Ancientharp klutzy thread assassin

My daughter enjoyed your sparring video. She's only 8, so it's nice for her to see what the older kids (especially girls) are doing.

Keep up the good work!

17. MissKarate

Thanks all, I have read this all and will take advice into consideration and use them. I am hoping to possibly get some more vids up maybe of sparring but kata also.

Ancientharp is your daughter doing martial arts?

18. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Well I thought that you were extraordinarily good. I would say only a couple of things as advice, one of them you do already , just be more conscious of it , and that is set up your opponent .............by that I mean watch what his reaction is to your attacks and see the openings that he is leaving .he was trying to sweep you, but really after your punching attacks you had an excellent opportunity to sweep him, also if you had attacked a bit lower with your punches he would have been even more on the defensive. Also he liked to sweep..........so what I would say here is learn from your opponent, obviuosly you can't do that while you are sparring.but maybe afterwards you could ask your teacher about counters to sweeps, or even how to sweep yourself..............please don't take any of this as a criticism, it's not meant that way.and for 13 you are incredible

19. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

well first of all I don't know what Arai Bashi means, secondly I am only going by what I saw in the video which looked something vaguely like a leg kick (albeit poorly executed). I didn't know if takedowns were allowed in this sparring or not, so excuse me for trying to give advice!!!

Even though you're right about not leg kicks what I said is still perfectly rational regarding fighting and sparring. :rolleyes:

20. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Literally "foot sweep"