McDojo?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ecks, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Ecks

Ecks New Member

http://www.ultimatemartialarts.ca/adult_mma.html

really wanted to get into mma once i start college... have a few months boxing experience, brown belt in wado-ryu, and some streetfighting experience in my own right.

i saw this when i searched up "Toronto MMA" on Google... seems to be the only one close to my area. It looks kind of cool, but the continuous "infomecial-like" claims give me an odd impression of McDojo.

was wondering, anyone from Toronto area come here, and is it a decent school?

much appreciated in advance.

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

$19 a month, pay as you go? That's pretty cheap. I don't realy care for the style of the page (infomercial) but a glance through the photo gallery shows a lot of fighting. I'd probably go and take a look, see how they treat you there.

3. ryanTKD

ryanTKD New Member

It's the only way you'll find out bud. Try it.

4. dect69

dect69 New Member

The only real way to find out if it's a McDojo is to go along and take a bite!! :)

5. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

McDojo

The others have beat me to it, but I' ll post anyway...Try It...

6. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

When you visit, present yourself politely and respectully stating you'd like to know more about the school and its instructors:

Politely ask the following questions as part of general conversation

What grade are the instructors (do they use terms like Soke, Grandmaster, 10th dan)
    How long have the instructors been training and teaching
    Who graded the instructors and when
    What affiliation or membership to governing/parent organisations exists
    How much does it cost to join
    What style is being taught
    Ask if you can watch a class and speak to the students

If you get what feels like evasive answers or, the answers you get just appear to absolute bull$hit don't question them on it, just politely thank them for their time and exit stage left.