Mayweather v Khan

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by puma, Nov 8, 2013.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

Am I right in it looks like this is actually going ahead? If so, number one, Khan doesn't deserve it, and number two, this fight will last exactly how long Mayweather wants it to. Khan goes over from blows that don't even connect properly, so when Mayweather hits him clean and regular goodness knows how he'll cope.

If I was Khan's management, I'd be looking at a Pacquiao fight. Pacquiao is hittable, and if Khan does lose it will probably be short and sweet. Sometimes watching Mayweather is like watching a kid pull the wings off a fly or legs off a spider or something. He prolongs the punishment when he could easily finish things off. Not good for the opponents longevity. If Khan were to beat Pacquiao, which is possible although unlikely, he could then legitimately go after Mayweather and no one could complain. As of now, fighting Mayweather seems a bad joke.

The other fight I would be looking at for Khan is Broner. I really think that fight could suit Khan.

Both these fights would rise Khan's stock no end. They aren't fights he would be expected to win, but he could very well do so. He'd make a fortune too. If he loses, so what? No shame there. But he has no chance at all with Mayweather, and then where does he go?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Khan hasn't got a glass jaw he has a chandelier jaw

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Seemed to hold up against Kirk well enough.

Sorry had to be done.

4. puma

puma Valued Member

And he somehow lasted against Maidana. Somehow.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's a money fight. Khan wont have to win to earn 7 figures.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's a step to far for Khan.

He's been bad mouthing Kel Brook and that's the fight I'd like to have seen.

I'd have Kell Brook the winner of that fight too.

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Yay, we get to see Khan get his face smashed in. Yippee!!!

8. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Warn't Khan an Olympic Medalist? He's had wins over Barrera, Maidana, Zab , etc., - though agree - if Canelo Alverez was not ready for a Mayweather fight...

9. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I agree, it's completely ludicrous that Floyd is even considering it. Khan has absolutely no chance whatsoever. I even had my bets on Devon Alexander if he had fought him in December like he was supposed to. I think fighting Broner first was a fantastic idea. That should have happened first before getting into talks about fighting Floyd. He knows he's gonna lose and is just in it for the money.

I wholeheartedly disagree about having a chance against Pacquiao though. I have this feeling that you underestimate him by a lot. Khan's problem isn't so much against people that are just good boxers or are fast, his problem is against anyone that knows how to land a hit, any kind of hit (especially that overhand right). Pacquiao would KO him inside one round assuming he won't spend that round feeling him out.

Both Barrera and Zab were older and far beyond their prime when Khan fought them. Surprised he pulled off that win against Maidana though. And yes he was the 2004 silver medalist.

10. belltoller

Yes, I should've added a few qualifiers...

I.E. KO via a good gust o wind.

11. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

yeah, although he got hit all over the ring in the 10th round. Surprised that he did make it through that fight.

12. Saved_in_Blood

And no, Khan doesn't deserve the shot at all... but because of the feud in boxing, Floyd can't fight Bradley or any other top rank fighter.

13. Saved_in_Blood

Reports from Floyd's advisor Leonard Ellerbe are that Khan in no closer than anyone else to get the fight so khan is far from a sure thing.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This is a ludicrous idea.

15. puma

puma Valued Member

Is he just saying that though? In England we've had reports it will be May 3rd at the MGM Grand. I hope you're right as it is a ridiculous fight, although at this point, who will Mayweather fight? Surely he won't jump up in weight again and fight Golovkin at this stage and age. Pacquiao possibly, who I think is going to blow Rios away pretty quickly. (I think Rios seems a bit starstruck). Who else? I think if he fought Bradley then that would be a mismatch also. And Garcia. Put it this way. Before he fought Mayweather, if Alvarez was facing any of the fighters mentioned, with the exception of Golovkin and Pacquiao, I would expect him to win easily. With the way Mayweather dealt with Alvarez, how can they expect to be competitive with him? I saw Cotto's name mentioned the other day as well. The only other possibility I can think of is Martinez as mentioned on the other thread. Maybe from now on Mayweather should be handicapped, have his right glove tied behind his back to his left ankle or something to even it up a bit.

16. Saved_in_Blood

Yes, reports have been out over there for some time, but there is nothing on boxrec about it and they usually will list a fight, even if it is still pending. He's not going to fight manny or Bradley because he wants NOTHING to do with bob arum. That's why he offered manny the 40 million himself instead of going through arum for the fight. Manny of course declined. Sergio is possible, but he is also possible for Cotto as well as Alvarez. Khan is not a big draw, Garcia isn't either, but he just KO'd Khan and so that would be a fight that would make more sense. I would say the options are limited at the moment. Perhaps Matthysee might have a shot, still is unlikely though since he also lost to Garcia, but that was a fight that because of his eye he lost. He also had Garcia hurt on at least one occasion so he didn't lose badly.

Honestly, I think Floyd is waiting as long as he can and then hopes one of these guys comes up with a big win that will create a bigger draw. If arum was willing to work with Floyd and vice versa, I would be confident in saying manny would be next if he were to win big against Rios. I think that Floyd now knows that his legacy will depend on his last 4 fights on his contract. Alvarez was a very good fight for him and the domination showed many that he isn't the least bit scared of any fighter as many had claimed. Cotto looked good against Rodriguez, and while Delvin is quite a decent fighter, obviously Cotto blasted him out of there in 3rds. If Cotto could make an Alvarez fight and could win, i'd look for Floyd Cotto 2.

People are trying to make out that Khan's speed will be some big issue for Floyd, but he is fast when he punches in bunches and will have no clue what to do when Floyd pulls the shoulder up... nothing will land and all that will have to happen is Floyd to land a few counter left hooks and that will be it IMO. There's always a chance in boxing of course. I just think that with 3 losses and 2 of them coming from KO's and almost losing by KO against a journeymen it's a bad choice as far as money and legacy both.

Even fighting Austin Trout would be better. He beat Cotto, but lost to Alvarez, but still was a pretty close fight.

I guess in the running would be:

Garcia
    Trout
    Khan
    Matthysee
    Cotto
    Martinez

Just my guess. At least Garcia is undefeated and has a good PR following.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  17. belltoller

Yep, yup, ya and yes. Sum's it up. Its a shame there's no one to really give Floyd a decent go.

18. Saved_in_Blood

That's part of the problem. The other part is that all of those I listed are very decent fighters, but Floyd makes his wins look easy and so people just deem them as nobodies. I can understand people talking about the Gatti win because we all know Gatti wasn't in the same league.

19. puma

puma Valued Member

Mayweather did tell everyone that before he fought him though. I belive he said something like Gatti was only a C-level fighter. That is one of my favourite Mayweather fights though. Great performance. Got a bit painful to watch in the end though.

20. Saved_in_Blood

Floyd showed every punch in the book in that fight. Gatti was hoping his punching power would be to much for Floyd. Floyd did say that yes... but it was his plan because Gatti had a lot of fans and so he knew beating Gatti would make everyone want to see him lose all the more.. as dumb as Floyd acts at times, he's an excellent businessman. From what I have read, the whole 24/7 was largely his idea. He wanted to portray the bad guy and to sell the fight. It's hard to beat that Alvarez fight though. A lot of people, including myself thought that Saul would at least be able to trouble Floyd... but we all now know that didn't happen. I was impressed the way that Alvarez would throw his jab out and Floyd took advantage of him bringing it back to slow and countered over it with straight right hands almost everytime.