Mayweather/Mosely 24/7

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by slipthejab, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If Mayweather was a Martial Artist at the top of his game, in a position where he was probably not going to be beaten any time soon, would he be a lot more humble, or do you think that he is just a big mouth full of his own self importance?

I know a lot of it is to sell seats, but he does seem to be arrogant most of the time.

There is such a difference when you consider in how high a regard we hold our Masters and GrandMasters and how unusuming they normally are. In addition many not only come fron humble beginnings (much like boxers) they still live in and around these poor areas.

2. Theforgotten

Theforgotten Drifting Aimlessly

I think that much of what Mayweather does is just head games similar to the antics of Bernard Hopkins. After the De La Hoya fight, he did admit that De La Hoya was "a hell of fighter" in his own words instead of talking trash.

I would love to see Mayweather v. Pacquiao, but I doubt that it will happen anytime soon. He got caught by Mosely and if Mosely would've worked more behind the jab instead of constantly going for the kill shot, then I believe the result would've been much different. Mayweather's work was masterful, but I think that he is far from invincible, especially considering that he got rocked by a 38 year-old Mosely who was coming off of a long layoff. Pacquiao will be just as fast and possibly hit much harder than Mosely. If Pacquiao is smart and works off of the jab like De La Hoya did so successfully, then I believe he will carry the fight and possibly knock Mayweather out. I think that Mosely exposed Mayweather's chin and shown that if you can actually get your hands on him, which is no small task, then he can most certainly be rocked or knocked out. I don't see Mayweather knocking Pacquiao out, but I think that he has one of the most important things that a fighter can have - a masterful defense. Mayweather can use his defense and counter punching to go to work on Pacquiao and win by a landslide decision. Either way, I think that it will be a legendary throw down if it ever happens, and it will be very good for the sport.

3. puma

puma Valued Member

I think Pacquiao is frightened of Mayweather. I think he is being pushed into a fight he knows he can't win. He has done amazing, but asking him to beat Mayweather is asking too much in my opinion. Why would you not take the drugs test when you are offered that amount of money unless of course you aren't clean or you don't want to fight. I don't see any reason why Mayweather wouldn't want it. I think it would be fairly easy for him - like most of his fights. Why is Mayweather ducking him? I think it is the other way.

As for Mayweather getting rocked in the 2nd, I thought he did great, and made his performance even better. Put it this way, if it was Pacquiao getting hit like that by Mosley I don't think he would get up. I think Mayweather showed great spirit, a great chin, great conditioning, great composure and great knowledge to handle the situation the way he did. Rather than see it as a negative, I see it as a positive as I think he proved he can take a shot. I don't think Pacquiao hits any harder than Mosley either.

I think it is tough for Pacquiao. Against Mayweather he is fighting someone faster, fitter, definitely smarter, with a better defence, better footwork, who can take a shot, etc. I don't see any place where Pacquiao is superior, except he may hit harder. But I don't think that will matter. I think Mayweather will stop him, and then probably get criticised for something or other as he always does. Pacquiao could of taken the Mosley fight, but he didn't, which I think is telling. Mayweather did.

4. Topher

Topher allo!

Isn't Pacman diabetic? I swear I read that somewhere. Doesn't that have something to do with it?

He has said he would do urine tests right up until the fight, but not a blood tests. I'm no drug test expert, but would a urine test be enough to reveal any drug use? Is there any difference between a urine test and a blood test?

Seems to me that Mayweather is genuinely concerned that he could lose his unbeaten record, and so is trying to duck the fight by getting Pacquiao to back out by making unreasonable and unnecessary demands.

If they were necessary they would be part of the official requirements, right?

Does Mayweather always make the same pre-fight drug requests? If not, ask yourself why now all of the sudden?

5. puma

puma Valued Member

There is no excuse for Pacquiao not to take the tests. He has had blood taken from him before. If he is clean there shouldn't be a problem. He did say he'd do the tests, but not over the whole proposed period of time, which seems odd. It would be the same for both men.

Both Mayweather and Mosley did the tests for their fight.

I know very little about drugs test also, but apparently the tests that boxers take are dated. The urine tests don't pick up on things that blood tests can, like the growth hormone thing and masking drugs, or so I am told and have read. I'm sure someone on here can give us some more info on the subject.

I read something about an email that said Pacquiao was taking stuff. I can't remember the exact story, but I remember it had something to do with Teddy Atlas. Again, anyone got more info on that story?

6. Theforgotten

I don't think that either fighter is frightened of the other, though they probably have great respect for each other. I suspect the drug testing thing may have something to do with the possibility that Pacquiao may be using a banned substance and trying to hide it, but I don't take it as him being scared. Nobody is invincible, not even Mayweather, and Mosely proved that. Mosely got picked apart because he abandoned the jab and instead tried to land the kill shot over and over again. He went for the KO and the KO just wasn't there. I think Mayweather's performance was helped by the fact that Mosely didn't work behind the jab and that he relied too heavily on the one shot KO. De La Hoya showed what a strong jab could do against Mayweather and the only reason why Mayweather is still undefeated is because De La Hoya abandoned the jab late in the fight.

Mayweather got rocked in the second round pretty good by a 38-year-old Mosely coming off a year and half layoff and this reveals that if you can get your hands on him then he can be hurt. Pacquiao has eaten far more leather than Mayweather and has been in far more grueling fights. He has experienced far more adversity and knows how to bounce back from setbacks in the ring. He has definitely proven to have the better chin, too. Many people don't give Pacquiao the credit that he deserves, but he is pretty fast and with Freddy Roach training him, his game has improved greatly. He matches up to Mayweather very well and would easily present the stiffest challenge that Mayweather has faced in his pro career. As a comparison, I like to point out the fights vs. De La Hoya and Hatton. Where Mayweather had to eke out a decision vs. De La Hoya, Pacquiao destroyed him. Where it took Mayweather several rounds to KO Hatton, Pacquiao destroyed him early.

I think it will be a good fight either way, and I could easily see either one of them beating the other. I don't think that either one is invincible, and both have a good chance to defeat the other. I see Mayweather by decision or Pacquiao by KO. I am leaning more toward Pacquiao on this one, though. Just a feeling that I have. It will be a fight for the ages if Pacquiao steps up to the plate. Mayweather is not the reason why the fight won't take place.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  7. Theforgotten

This is what I suspect, very highly.

8. Theforgotten

I find this to be very suspicious too. Perhaps it is a head game, or maybe a prepackaged excuse should he actually lose the fight. We all know that Money is all about, well, the money. This fight would've grossed untold amounts of money. So why would Mayweather himself turn it down over the time period for drug testing. If he was confident about beating manny, then he would just step in the ring and destroy him regardless of the tests and collect another Mayweather-esque payday. Who knows?

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

10. Theforgotten

That article makes several good points. I don't personally know either fighter, which is why I find some suspicion with both. Manny could be taking a banned substance and Floyd could be doing this as gamesmanship and/or trying to skew the fight from the start to protect his image should he end up losing the fight (Floyd is an even better salesman than a fighter). According to Yahoo! Sports, both sides have resumed negotiations, so hopefully they make it happen this time. It could go either way - Mayweather is great, and Pacquiao is not too bad himself. I am feeling a Pacquiao KO, but I wouldn't be shocked or surprised if Mayweather shut him out on the scorecards to win an easy decision.

11. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Tell me again - Why does Pac Man have to take a special test that no other fighter has to take?

Thanks,
    Tom

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Because Mayweather doesn't want to fight him. He's got a perfect record; Pac could easily end that.

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Exactly... because 'Mouth' Mayweather is worried that a fighter like Pacman will actually give him some real trouble. So his camp will try to shift the onus onto Pacman and his camp to prove that they are clean instead of actually talking about the fight itself. This is why he has played the whole drug testing to the hilt.

If Mayweather is sooooo concerned about performance enhancing drugs in the sport why have we never heard word one from Mayweather about this until he was going to have to face Pacman?

Who knows... maybe he will go down as 'Waffle Mayweather'?

14. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Thanks guys.

Tom

15. slipthejab

You I resent Mayweather for mucking this up by being alive. Seriously is it too much to ask for a boxing fan to have a champion that is as skilled and as slick as Mouth Mayweather... yet have a shred of humility and a down to earth personality?

Apparently it is... we are stuck with one of the greatest defensive fighters of all time... yet he's not even a guy you'd like to have a cup of coffee with. He's so busy trying to come of like some two bit rapper with his cash and his hustle that he just looks a total fool. He keeps yammering on about how his dad was a hustler and that he grew up seeing big fat rolls of cash when he was a kid....

I think not... he comes of like some nouveau rich wanna be pimp who's never seen more than pocket change his entire life and now can't keep his mouth shut about it.
    **** poor form.

No wonder people like Pacman by comparison.

16. Theforgotten

Yes, his arrogance is very annoying, but I think that it is a part of his game. I mean, part of the reason why so many people tune in to watch him is because they want to see someone beat him and shut his big mouth. By being the big mouth, he is drawing more viewers (which = more $) because they want to see him lose. This goes back to him being a shrewd businessman who knows how to manipulate the game, so to speak. We don't really know who he is behind closed doors or in person when the cameras are turned off. I try to keep Mayweather the boxer and businessman separate from Mayweather person because I don't know who Mayweather person really is.

17. slipthejab

True. Some valid points there.