Mass protests & riots happening over murder by police officers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aaradia, May 31, 2020.

1. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I posted this video in the other thread as an example, somebody asked to define "fascism". In the fascist mind, it's perfectly acceptable to fire cannister rounds into an innocent family's house to maintain "order", in a suburban neighborhood that doesn't seem to be anywhere near any looters or rioting. It's just the way you keep the pegs in line, you make an example by hanging, torching, or spraying chemicals on law-abiding civilians, because when the actual rioters and looters see that, they might take the threat seriously.

Sad day for America.

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

George Floyd death: Trump threatens to send in army to end unrest Trump threatens to send in army to end unrest

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Just to show that there is still some hope for humanity; here are a few of the better moments of unity and peace:

I'm also glad to see bishops of various denominations condemning Trump for using religion as a prop to further an authoritarian political agenda.

ned likes this.
  4. David Harrison

Too late to edit, but about that video above:

Note those white girls spraying "BLM" on a Starbucks at the end. They certainly didn't act like well-meaning but misguided protesters when confronted by an African American woman about it. It wouldn't be the first time right wing agitators engaged in these "false flag" stunts against Black Lives Matter.

ned likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

6. David Harrison

Regarding using the US military against its own people; Republican Senator Tom Cotton was on Fox News suggesting the 101st Airborne should be deployed where governors have refused to call in the National Guard.

This is in direct violation of the US constitution: Posse Comitatus Act - Wikipedia

Maybe they'll try to change the US Navy regulations so they can send the marines in, or maybe Trump can use his new Space Force to murder US citizens.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Out of curiosity, how then was the Airbourne used to provide security when Little Rock was desegregated?

8. Dead_pool

Same.link

In the mid-20th century, the administration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower used an exception to the Posse Comitatus Act, derived from the Enforcement Acts, to send federal troops into Little Rock, Arkansas, during the 1957 school desegregation crisis. The Arkansas governor had opposed desegregation after the United States Supreme Court ruled in 1954 in the Brown v. Board of Education that segregated public schools were unconstitutional. The Enforcement Acts, among other powers, allowed the president to call up military forces when state authorities were either unable or unwilling to suppress violence that were in opposition to the citizens' constitutional rights.[5]

Southpaw535 and David Harrison like this.
  9. David Harrison

Yeah, the Enforcement Acts were brought in to protect African Americans if states violated their 14th and 15th Amendment rights.

10. Southpaw535

Reading is for libs. Nah my bad.

Follow up question then: Why is it always the Airbourne? And why the 101st specifically?

edit: Just realised I'm expecting a logical answer to someone asking to send the military in against their citizens in the 'home of the free world' when really I should probably just expect "He's seen Band of Brothers"

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

I don't think even trump listens to trump! IMG-20200602-WA0003.jpg

ned, Southpaw535 and David Harrison like this.
  12. David Harrison

I don't know. It was the 101st Airborne in Little Rock, the 82nd Airborne in response to Katrina. If I were to hazard a guess it is because they are rapid response units with substantial logistics capabilities.

It would be a stain on the history books if, 63 years after the federal military protected the rights of citizens against racist protesters, Trump were to deploy the federal military to infringe on the rights of people to protest racism.

I don't have time to read all this right now, but here is paper on domestic deployment of US military: In Katrina's Wake: Rethinking the Military's Role in Domestic ...scholarship.law.wm.edu › cgi › viewcontent

A quick skim suggests that it is not so clear-cut.

ned, Dead_pool and Southpaw535 like this.
  13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

As David Harrison wrote, Airborne units tend to be very easy to deploy... they are light infantry that can be brought in and deployed quickly and easily. Both the 82nd and the 101st are also on standby status and the promise is that they can have troops on the ground within 24hrs anywhere in the world from those units. Additionally, Airborne troops tend to be highly motivated, well trained, and very loyal (Airborne or Parachute school is all voluntary, and serves as one of the lower rungs into the more high speed, low drag units like Rangers/Special Forces/etc).

Of course, the 82nd remains parachute based (Airborne) while the 101st has morphed into an Airmobile (helicopters) unit, which leads to lots of inter unit rivalry. Airborne (and Airmobile) units work best as 'shock troops'... drop them in and let them do their thing until they can be replaced by units with more equipment and supplies... then pull them out, re-equip them and set them on standby for the next time. Sadly, thoughout history, many Airborne units have been used as conventional long term units instead, partly because of their morale, readiness, and gung-ho attitude... which doesn't always end well.

ned, Anth, Southpaw535 and 2 others like this.
  14. David Harrison

Sounds rather similar to our Parachute Regiment in Northern Ireland.

Soldiers don't make good police, and as we are seeing, training police as if they are soldiers doesn't make good police either.

That video Grond posted really looked like a group of thugs acting out their fantasies and playing war.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Dead_pool likes this.
  15. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Right down to the maroon berets, if I recall.

The training school uses the old unit designations as well... in 1991, it was the 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR) (not sure if they still do)

Sadly, you are right. I have been hearing quite a bit about some of our Law Enforcement groups (especiall federal level) that recruit a lot of veterans into law enforcement... on one hand it works well with the discipline, morale, skills, and so on but military and law enforcement have vast differences in use in force and in the thinking style of how to deal with things. I can see where veterans (especially combat veterans) would fit very nicely into law enforcement, I also know you would need a lot of training and practice to switch from a military to a law enforment mindset.

ned, David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  16. Southpaw535

I wrote my Master's dissertation on the failings of COIN and the UN attempt to democratise Afghanistan and the big thing that kept coming up was high ranking officers reflecting that the big issue was they were asking soldiers to be everything but the, put bluntly, killing machines they were trained to be. So the army itself has at least partly recognised the flaws in using the army as a police force in foreign countries, but US politicians can't grasp the wildly different roles between the two.

ned, David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  17. David Harrison

Reminds me of a documentary I saw years ago. A British captain in Afghanistan was describing the catch-22 situation his unit found itself in. Their mission was to keep a road secure and patrol it for IED's and insurgents, but the only reason there were IED's or insurgents on the road was because the British Army was patrolling it.

Similar spirals of escalation can be seen in the riots in the US. See how the police that dropped their riot gear and joined the protestor's march, or the police that dropped to one knee to show solidarity with the protesters, defused and de-escalated tension. That is policing by consent and acting as public servants.

The police in the US have been getting out of control since 9-11. Being told by their superiors that they are warriors at war, and the government and private companies maximising profits from foreign wars by giving the police the equipment to fight a war.

Southpaw535, Dead_pool and Anth like this.
  18. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  19. Dead_pool

Which also explains the horrendous Beatles of P
    to address an insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination or conspiracy, in any state, which results in the deprivation of Constitutionally-secured rights, and where the state is unable, fails, or refuses to protect said rights

So they will stop police brutality, by policing more brutally?

I'm not sure that they have thought this through properly.

20. David Harrison

No, they will stop people protesting police brutality with military brutality.

Sadly, I think they absolutely have thought this through.

Dead_pool likes this.