Mas Oyama and the legacy of Kyokushinkan

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Manila-X, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Defending their schools against mass atacks with bat!? Gee I wonder how they got to be good fighters?

2. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBiXacSBfEw"]Kyokushin Karate NC - Kenny Buffaloe & son, Christian Buffaloe TV Appearance 9 - YouTube[/ame]

3. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Cool video, thanks! Kid is good for a green belt, 10 yrs old! Hope he gets a hair cut though! Lol

4. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

Most likely it's his hairstyle!

BTW, I was promoted to a higher "kyu" just this afternoon though I'm not going to say what rank.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What rank? :)

6. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

I'm not going to say what belt I'm but for one, I'm not black belt and I still have a long way to go before reaching it.

Anyway, when I joined our Kyokushin dojo, my enrollment includes a membership card of Kyokushin Karate-Do Philippines and allows me to train in other affiliated dojos.

Plus a book written by my Sensei called Defensive Tactics.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Don't be shy man. :)
    No one really cares but it's nice to share when you achieving things.
    I'm a 1st kyu in Shidokan and feel a long way from BB also. :(

8. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

What is Kyokushinkai Karate, translated from an interview in a magazine to my sensei:

"It's a very rich and complete Karate style with influence from various martial arts and Karate styles. Although it's famous for the knock-down competition and the toughness of training that boosts physical and mental strengthening; the style founder, Mas Oyama, synthesised his style from the knowledge acquired practicing different Martial Arts since quite young: Taiken, Jujutsu, Judo, Goju Ryu Karate and Shotokan Karate, amongst others, he also incorporated the techniques he deemed interesting from other styles such as Taekwondo, Muai-Thai or Taikiken amongst others".

9. Spirit Warrior

Spirit Warrior Valued Member

I like Kyokushinkai karate is it true that Mas Oyama defeated 100 men in full contact kumites?

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

No need to be shy Manila-X. You mentioned in another thread you just started Kyokushin so we already have an idea of where you're at. I've trained in Kyokushin for a minute but am also a Judo white belt testing for my next belt soon. It's not a bad thing to share where you're coming from.

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Reportedly it was 100 matches a day for 3 days, so 300 actually. It's said he wanted to go a fourth day but he didn't have enough people due to injuries.

12. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Also, his student Steve Arneil did the same. He was the first of his students to do the 100 man kumite.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  13. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

I started Kyokushin 4 weeks ago but my Sensei already promoted me to Orange Belt upon joining due to my previous Shotokan background and familiarity with katas and movements.

I just received my black stripe in my Orange Belt.

That is because, even if I'm not in the dojo, I practice at home or at the park or waterfront and go online such as YouTube for the various katas that I have not learned, at least within my grade.

Currently I'm learning The Pinan / Heian katas. I already know 1 and now been trying to learn 2 & 3

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rock1v3ywcM"]Karate kyokushin kata pinan sono 1,2,3,4,5 - YouTube[/ame]

14. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

From what I know Kurosaki Kenji was the important guy, who trained in Thailand and put those influences into Kyokushinkan making it basicaly Karate with some Muay Thai and Thai training methods and that enabled them to do well against the Thais when they fought each other.
    Also apparently Oyamas breaks and early Knockdown tournaments were fixed.And later ones too
    And there is also rumour of Oyamas links to the Yakuzi

15. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

Kyokushin to me is more a fusion of traditional Karate and modern hardcore street fighting.

It still has it's traditions when it comes to discipline, philosophy and of course the forms of kata.

It does have some resemblance to Muay Thai but the later is still almost completely a hard style unlike Kyokushin which also has soft techniques as well especially those who are advanced. Muay Thai also lack forms and a grading / belt system though a few schools would have such.

As with Oyama's links with The Yakuza, these are rumors and such is not involved in any of it's illegal activities. The Yakuza in Japan is actually a legit organization.

Nevertheless, it doesn't matter, but here is a video back from the 1960s in which Kyokushin fighters fought Muay Thai fighters in Bangkok,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zpMAVcvH5Q"]Kyokushin vs Muay Thai in 1964 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  16. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

But the truth is it is a combination of Muay Thai and Karate.Thats its history. It could be said to be a watered down version of Muay Thai with the karate kata, gradings etc etc.
    Thats not to be offensive, just how it is. Lots of Kyokushin do well in Muay Thai when they cross over..the reason is becuase they train like the Thais and use elements of Muay Thai. Thats where it comes from.

It possibly doesnt matter to some that certain figures in martial arts are put in a pedistal but for me, its alot of bull and is important a balanced view is put across. These people are just people like anyone who just train hard and put the effort in. Or they are just ok but create a myth thats makes them seem superior.
    The idea of martial artists being moraly superior or mystical and all that bull is a myth. Theres some realy dodgy stuff that went on with these so called masters.

17. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

Our training process is different. Of course there is the warm up exercises which conditions our body and also improve flexibility.

Though we also spend our time learning and performing our kata.

Then we learn various techniques from our sensei both striking and blocking.

Last is our free sparring.

And honestly, I enjoy taking this art and I'll definitely continue training in such!

Osu!