Martial Arts Superstars that suck!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dirk Dagger, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Dirk Dagger

Dirk Dagger I Love Kelly Hu

I've always loved a good movie. So when it combines Martial Arts action, I always patronized it. But, most MA movies these days and even a few years ago are all low budget films. I must say, martial arts films are not that big in the movie industry. Blame it on the actors who suck in acting!

Or, you could blame the producers for not really giving the international martial arts community what they want.

One MA/actor that really suck in most if not all his movies has got to be Don Wilson.

Enough said.

2. Cain

Cain New Member

I thought Don wilson was a good MAist......though I agree he's bad enough of an actor ;)

|Cain|

3. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

That one dude from the space movie got on my nerves.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I saw an interview with Jackie Chan once, he was talking about when he came and did his first movies in the US. In Hong Kong, they'd care more about how the punch/kick/etc looks, and acting came 2nd, in the US, it's other way around. That's why you get female actresses who can act well, but take 5 minutes to throw a crappy outside kick and knock someone's gun out of their hand.

Personally, I watch MA movies for the eye candy. I never expect a plot or anything, just some action to get me hyped up again about MA.

PL

5. Topher

Topher allo!

It usually goes like this:
    Hollywood: 20 minuets speaking, 2 minuets fighting. :(
    HK: 2 minuets speaking, 20 fighting. :)

I think that it's perceved in the west that unless your a fan of the MA genre, you wont want to watch a 20 minuet fight, which in some cases is true.

What ironic, is while filming Battle Creek Brawl and Supercop, American fight co-odinators were trying to tell Jackie how to fight.

6. Southern Mantis

Southern Mantis New Member

I agree with Poop-Loops, I generally watch MA films for te fighting - so I can get excited about it again. I love looking for stuff we've done in class, see how it is done on film, how we do it, how it can be done etc. I don't expect much of a plot or good acting skills. Mind you, the ones I've seen haven't been too bad on that side. It can often be difficult to judge someones acting abilities when you are reading subtitles. Even when they speak English, because it is not their first language and thay have strong Chinese accents, poor pronunciation can be seen as bad acting.

The old films - 70s tendd to be the wost for acting, but excellent for figting and for me that is enough to watch them

7. Epsilon

Epsilon New Member

C'mon! Who can forget Jean Claude Van Damme's Best Actor of a leading role Oscar nomination in "The Quest". Those close up's and the slow motion of his face showing his anger of the final hit on his opponent. Hold it! That's in all of his movies.
    Or even all of Steven Segal's Snap! Crackel! and Pop! Movies.

8. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Its not true aikido Seagal does, but am i the only one that thinks it looks good to watch. His acting may not be the best, but he generally kicks butt in a movie, with not a hair out of place. My kind of action hero!

9. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Seagal does move quite well in his fight scenes but god is he lame as an actor... I especially hate the films where he has the pony tail...

... on the other hand it is quite amusing to place bets on whether his reinforced belt will split under the pressure of his gut.

10. MandrilBorracho

MandrilBorracho New Member

well, mind you, most "action actors" play themselves (ie, they have one character) in all of their movies; there might be slight differences, but when you're watching a Seagal movie, well, the script might call him Boyd, or whatever, but you know he's Seagal; that the only difference between the violent cop & the deadly cook is who he kills for a living.

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I hate it when they take an actor and teach him a few stupid moves (take shawn william scott in bullet proof monk) so he can play a wider role in various films.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Don Wilson is completely awful. That is all.

13. Topher

Topher allo!

I dont think Chow Yun-Fat has any formal MA training either.

14. Disciple

Disciple New Member

I love Martial Arts movies.

I don't care how bad they are b/c the boad one make me feel better to know, no wait, you are sucking... lo

Of course, I love the good ones.
    Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon, Game of Death, and (I always forget the name b/c of the HK US changes, but the one with Chuck Norris, and Bruce is there working the in restuante)

Jackie Chan has a number, but I feel his best work ever was his potrayal of Won FEi Hong in "The Legend of Druken Master"...an awesome movie.

I love Jet Li movies, but it always seems that he doesn't get the best plots in the US films... They are really good, but could be better by the standards of other movies, you know what I mean?

Donnie Yen in Iron Monkey is awesome! and in Shanghai Knights. I feel he is a hihly underated actor/martial artist.

15. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

What about Dolph Lungren?

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I dont think he has either... but in an old film ive got called " Postman strikes back " he done alot of fighting and he didnt look new to it... so i dunno.

17. DoH

DoH New Member

steven seagal movies...

Is it me or did they start getting cheesier and cheesier every year?
    at first youd get a "little" exageration but now jesus!
    he does a lil push kick that takes him like 10 seconds to execute on a guy 10 times his size and WHAM he flies 20 feet and goes thru a candy machine WTF?

is it just me or....?

18. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

I claim a double whammy.

Eric Roberts (Best of the Best)

Not only the worst martial Arts actor, but also just plain the world's worst actor in norma movies too. :)

19. KiWarrior

KiWarrior Banned Banned

Dexter wins.

You do realize don't you that many of the people you all are mentioning in the "good" column also do not have formal training in martial arts? Instead they have trained extensively and gruellingly in the performance art of wushu.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

By "many" do you actually mean "two"?

Jackie Chan and Jet Li by my count. Perhaps Donnie Yen as well. But in at least two of those cases (Jackie and Donnie) they also have substantive experience in other arts. So dismissing them as being products solely of performance-based wushu is too simplistic to be very useful.