Martial arts and weaponry

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by SubNoobPhanatic, Jun 15, 2013.

1. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

To learn weapons in the real world.

Go to you local recruiter, join either the Army or the Marines. Make sure you are in a combat unit. Get trained in things that go bang and boom. You may even get the opportunity to use them in combat which is as real world as it gets.

Any other questions?

2. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

That's a bow that you can beat people with when you run out of arrows! :)

It always gets interesting right after school lets out for the summer.

3. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Blasphemer! Chesty just rolled over! ;)

4. SubNoobPhanatic

SubNoobPhanatic Valued Member

For crying out loud, you are making a mountain out of a molehill! If I made any mistake was that I expected some text to be displayed on my post but it wasn't, and then I tried to explain that and used buffyspeak ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BuffySpeak ) because I dont know the proper terms for those features only this forum uses...

As for joining the Army or the Marines to "get trained in things that go bang and boom"... nope, that kind of weaponry is for cowards and weaklings and... My intention is describing the expertise a character has, its not about me but about a character.

However for everyone else that tried to give a honest and helpful answer; thanks.

5. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Well you'll have to excuse their/our behavior, but it was justified. You see we have two options here the "quick reply" box at the bottom of each thread, which you've used before. The other one you see when you quote someone, "go advanced" (under the quick reply box) or more importantly when you start a new thread; this brings you to a page which only has two "boxes", one is the "Title" box and the other "Message" box, both of which are self explanatory. So most of us don't really understand what you mean by too many blanks spaces to fill with data, or so many tool boxes where to explain what I was asking, to quote you.
    Also your way of writing isn't too clear, you may want to use simpler English if you want people to understand you.

Phshh. How on earth are these weapons for cowards and weaklings? The same could be said for any of those 36 weapons when they first appeared in history. Also if you are willing to fight with booms and bangs you are also prepared to fight against booms and bangs, not very cowardly if you ask me.

Also I'm still not clear on why you're asking this question. Are you trying to write a book, and you want to have a character that is trained in an obscure MA?

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I can honestly tell you man, this day and age, it takes a lot more courage to sign up to go to war than it does to play around with wooden weapons all day in a dojo. Probably don't mention the fact that you think the armed forces are cowardly and weak to people in real life, that'll get you a pop in the mouth in some circles.

7. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Cowards and weaklings huh? Well I am a Marine trained as an artillery scout/observer(0861).
    You have no idea what you are talking about, so keep it to yourself. There are a few more things I would like to say at this point but this is a family friendly forum.
    I don't see how you get off telling me I'm a coward and a weakling when you are a " martial arts enthusiast" but have never had the courage or strength to find a teacher and train!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Dave,

I don't think the OP is going to be impressed with that unless you ever fought an opponent one-on-one with samurai swords, after admiring the cherry blossom and composing a haiku about the fleeting nature of life.

9. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

You mean Bo (staff).

10. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I think possibly Dave and certainly me would be more impressed with someone who got up at 05:30, washed, ate; force marched to location, ate something on a shingle (US) or babies heads (UK) and did the job that needed doing.

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think most people would. Or at least, most grown-ups.

12. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Mmmmmm....stuff on a shingle...same old stuff...

13. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Not so much. Remember that the phrase "martial arts" means "arts of war" (from Mars, the Roman god of war). First and foremost, that means military arts. Only by extension does it apply to civillian arts, and again only by extension does it apply to unarmed asian arts, since it was first used in the English language in the 17th century to describe fencing with the rapier. Note that rapier fencing, while very sophisticated, is a down and dirty back alley art designed not only for duels, but for shanking cutpurses in shady areas. Hardly a lofty esoteric goal, Spanish destreza aside.

Someone who actually trains for you know, real live war is more of a martial artist than someone who trains casually but has never taken a punch. I'm not saying you should go join the military. But our service men and women are far from cowards. The bravest people I know are ex-military and law enforcement, and I'd rather have them at my back in a fight than any casual "martial artist". And isn't that kind of the point? As civillian martial artists, we're trying in part to get in touch with that part of ourselves, even if we'll likely never do it "for real."

Best regards,

-Mark

14. MadMonk108

You're giving this kid far too much credit.

15. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Perhaps, but I'd rather do some good with my posts here. After all, other people might learn from what we post, not just the thread starter. If people get something out of what I write, great. If not, I like the sound of my own voice and that translates to the written word too. ;)

-Mark

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You're an idiot. Period.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Let's remember the terms of service, gang. Clearly, the OP shouldn't have said that. It's an insult to servicemen and -women the world over. And to anyone else who values logic, for that matter. So, on a personal level, I can't find much fault with that conclusion. I'm going to try and reconcile my two reactions by saying "it was an idiotic remark to make; not to be repeated."

18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

:)

That's all I've got for people like you. A nice creepy smiley face. Not because I have a particularly strong hate for anti-soldiering attitudes (it's hardly worth acknowledging most of the time), but because anyone with a lick of sense knows you're so full of it your eyes are brown.

Keep on keeping on man, I wish you hard times at every corner in hopes it causes you to remove head from ****.

19. MadMonk108

So I shouldn't be hearing shouldn't be hearing Gilbert Godfried when I read your posts?:)

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Under no circumstances should anyone ever be hearing Gilbert Godfried.