Martial Art for an Old Fart

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by WunHungLo, Jan 28, 2007.

1. WunHungLo

WunHungLo New Member

I'm getting up there in years myself, aren't we all, if some are not already.

Anyhow, I was wondering what would be a good MA that you can still practice in your advanced years, a style that would still be viable for self defense, one that doesn't require physical strength or flexibility?

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

[​IMG]
    zhoo zhitsoo.

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

How about FMA? My buddy always says..."one day I won't be able to kick and punch, but I can still swing a stick" ;)

4. WunHungLo

WunHungLo New Member

Puali and Pacificshore, thank you.

I'm seriously looking at zhoo zhitsoo, and I have some experience with Modern Arnis. I suppose when I become feeble I can carry a cane with me and not look out of place :)

5. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Bagua, you get the benefits of IMA practice but it is also effective for self defense.

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Age isnt an excuse.

The Spartans fought until they were like 50+, hell they werent even real soldiers till they were 40 odd.

Any style will cater to you, you dont have to go balls to the wall and compete full contact if you dont want to.

7. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Well I am 5 years from Spartan material but yeah, I make the 40 "odd"! Of course, competing at this age is quite fun! Nothing like a test to see how you are progressing. :D

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

They stopped fighting at the 50-60 mark, fighting in wars that is. They trained till they died. ;)

9. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

I'm with them on that one! Nothing like turning a few younger birds' heads! LOL

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

hahaha...so true. tatang was still whipping boys three time younger his age group before he died. he even killed a mugger a year or two before he died.

11. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Weapon arts are probably going to be your best bet. Weapons are force multipliers, allowing one to do more damage at a greater range with less effort. Studying FMA or WMA (for example) could make one a dangerous SOB with a baseball bat or a piece of rebar. In addition, weapon arts are likely to contain a lot of grappling, so you're effectively killing two stones with one bird. Or something. ;)

Best regards,

-Mark

12. WunHungLo

WunHungLo New Member

I've never really heard of Ba Gua before, so I did a search on the Interweb and it looks interesting. Too bad no one seems to teach it in my neck of the woods.

13. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Tai Chi and Xing/Hsing Yi would also be good, both have the health benefits of IMA's and are also geared for self defense

14. TKDjoe

TKDjoe Valued Member

We have a 73 yr old that does TKD, and Hapkido and he does very well. Even the grappling arts would be OK, just be careful with the throws and take downs.

15. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

That's really cool. Hopefully I'll be swinging my swords, doing Ringen and tromping about in armour when I'm that age. :)

-Mark

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Got any Goju Ryu Karate nearby? A guy I know is late 50's early 60's and describes it as "old man's karate" because it's close in, low kicks and few of them. Looks like pretty effective stuff to me if trained properly.

Mitch

17. Graham2006

Graham2006 New Member

Yip Chun, the headmaster of Ip Man Wing Chun Kung Fu Association, trains & chi-sau's regularly, & he's 82.

18. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

These are excellent suggestions along with his earlier one on Ba Gua/Pa Kua. The FMA are also excellent. They're not all about sticks.

19. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

there's a guy i used to work with, in his late 50's, takes aikido & loves it - he's not the most mobile, but feels like it fits his abilities very well.

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

thank God someone notices this. fma isn't just stick fighting....