Martial Art Classes In Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by The Phenom, Jun 22, 2006.

1. The Phenom

The Phenom New Member

Hello there, I am new here and am someone who has never taken any martial art classes, and now I would like to start at it.

I would like to know if there are any martial art classes available in Kuala Lumpur. Particularly Muay Thai, and what about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? And any other martial art classes that are available so I can decide which one I am comfortable with first. And can I start any private classes?

Thank you very much.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  2. The Phenom

The Phenom New Member

Anyone? :( I have been trying to look but can't find any..that's just sad.

3. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

4. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi,

Totally recommend:
    http://www.kdta.com/about.html

Only done Karate there - when on holiday to Malaysia a couple of times - but they do BJJ too...

Vince Choo is a really good instructor and a great person.

All the best.

Robert.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

6. The Phenom

The Phenom New Member

Guys, thank you very much, it means a lot. Gajah Silat, I checked the Thai Kick Boxing website and it looks good, I am thinking of taking private classes with him, however although he sounds good do you have any opinion about him as an instructor?

Robert and Yohan, these two sound good as well, there are in my list now, I will see how I can manage, what if I try two different classes one shot? Or should I go from one after another? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you again! :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  7. Yohan

I would not recommend training wuzuquan along with kickboxing or karate - you will most likely nullify any progress you make in Wuzuquan with your other training.

8. The Phenom

The Phenom New Member

Thank you

Yohan,

Thank you for the advice, but for my own understanding why is it most likely to nullify progress making in Muzuquan? And what about Kickboxing and BJJ?

Which one would you recommend me to begin with to step into the world of Martial Arts? Or does this not matter and that I am to go with which one I am most comfortable with first?

Thank you again.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  9. The Phenom

The Phenom New Member

Answer From Yahoo

I was wondering if Jak Othman is a real good Muay Thai instructor, so I decided to ask about him on yahoo Q & A. And here are the three answers I received :

Dwasco:

I have seen this site before. I have to say, I think his background is completely b.s. and made-up. I am very skeptical that he has any real muay thai knowledge. You are close to Thailand, so I would take a trip when you have some time/money and do some training there. I would go to Ingram Gym ( off of Sukhumvit road) in Bangkok or Fairtex Gym (1 hour outside Bangkok in Bangplee).

Unfortuntately that guy seems to be your only option in KL. But, if you learn some basics in Thailand, this gym will at least have the equipment you will need like proper heavy bags and thai pads etc... And maybe that guy can show you some things. Again, try and do some days in Thailand every now and then, and take what you learn back to KL.

The other thing, a critical part of learning muay thai is sparring. Kick sparring and knee sparring is very important. The gym in KL may at least give you some sparring partners when you are ready.

By the way, this guy in KL says he learned from a street-fighter in Thailand who was on the run. Sounds like a Van Damme movie to me.. The thing that really bothers me is that he says his "Master" (something that is not used in thai culture or muay thai) was nicknamed the "King Tiger". The real legend of the "Tiger King" is the story of Nai Khanom Tom. That is a famous story of a thai general who was captured by the Burmese and defeated 10 Burmese fighters in a row, and was released by the Burmese King. That day is commemorated in March as the birth of muay thai. Read more about it, it is a really cool story. For this guy in KL to say his Master was called "King Tiger" is borderline offensive to muay thai... Seems like he is using it all as a part of his marketing gimmick..

Source(s):

I have trained in BKK and currently train under Kru Bunked and Neungsiam in San Francisco, CA, USA.

Stratocastinator:

I just wanna say coodos to that last guy great answer.

Northernmonkey89:

The instructor's fake.

10. Yohan

Well, go look at the wuzuquan. It's authentic. It'll be very different from Muay Thai, but it's great stuff.

11. The Phenom

The Phenom New Member

Yahon,

Yes I would go look at the Wuzuquan class, just sent them an email. So should I start with Wuzuquan alone? I am interested and would like to start very soon. I shouldn't take BJJ class along right? Reading about Wuzuquan in the internet now.

I am curious about Wuzuquan, I thought Shaolin Kung Fu is just Shaolin Kung Fu class alone and within it there are a lot that would be tought. Correct me if I am wrong, so Wuzuquan is an element of Shaolin Kung Fu? I am confused here.

Edit: This is good a good read.

Frequently Asked Questions

What does 'Kung Fu' mean?

Like many other terms used in connection with the Martial Arts today, the term 'Kung fu' is often misapplied. Translated literally, kung fu means 'excellence through hard work' or 'skilled achievement'. Therefore one could be said to display 'kung fu' at cooking or at computer programming.

There is nothing inherently martial about the term, but in the 1950s, the Hong Kong film industry started using the two characters 'Kung Fu' for their martial arts action movies and the phrase has been closely associated with Chinese Martial Arts ever since - particularly in the West. Professionals refer to the practice of Chinese martial arts as 'Wu Kung' or 'Wu Shu' which connote the specific martial (Wu) development of skill (Kung) or art (Shu).

What is the difference between Wushu and Wuzu?

Wuzu is a traditional art, Five Ancestors Shaolin, which embraces a fully traditional syllabus for self defence and personal improvement. Wushu is a traditionally derived martial art style popular in the Far East in competition and display. It is more dynamic and gymnastic in style, and having a set syllabus is hoped to be included in the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. We will be introducing a Wushu syllabus under an Olympic Coach to Ireland in this academic year.

What's the difference between Traditional Chinese Martial Arts and Karate/Judo/Taekwondo?

Chinese martial arts were formalised over two thousand years ago, and were developed primarily by Buddhist and Taoist monks. Thus, the Chinese are universally acknowledged to have have the oldest, best-proven systems - almost all other legitimate systems will acknowledge the debt they owe to the Chinese systems, which spread throughout Asia. Methods such as Karate, Judo or Taekwondo were developed hundreds of years after the formalisation of the Chinese systems, and as such, owed much of their development to Chinese martial arts systems - Karate, as first taught by Southern Chinese monks and practiced on Okinawa, was originally called 'Tang Te' which translates as 'Chinese Hand'. The characters were later changed to 'Kara Te' ('Empty Hand') during a period of strong Japanese nationalism.

What's the difference between Traditional Chinese Martial Arts and kick-boxing?

Kick-boxing is a sport. It's all about scoring points in competition 'fighting' where there are a clear set of rules, gloves, pads and a referee to control things. Traditional Shaolin training is not concerned with competitions of this nature. The techniques as taught are given to deal with real life situations where there are no rules and no referee to step in and save your life! Traditional techniques were developed to save lives under the most extreme circumstances - no really conclusive test is possible between students of traditional Shaolin, unless they choose to get involved in a all-out, real fight since Shaolin techniques are inherently dangerous and do not lend themselves to control measures.

One Shaolin Master recently wrote: "Shaolin in its orthodox form, is not a game to be played for the entertainment of an audience or the whims of sports-minded exponents. Although there have been competitions between Shaolin experts, none of these have proven satisfactory to orthodox practitioners."

How long will it take me to get my Black Belt?

Progress in any martial art is unpredictable, simply because it is dependent on the individual. The progress an individual makes depends on the effort, dedication and thought put into practicing. So the person who trains seriously and hard twice a week will make more progress than the person who shows up every day without applying themselves. In practice, it can take anything from three to ten years.

What is Qi?

The term 'Qi' (pronounced 'chee') applies to the body's bio-electric energy. This energy comes from all around us and is generated and absorbed by the body's vital organs. It is in every one of us, regardless of age or sex. It flows when we sleep and when we are awake.

Chinese medicine and philosophy have always encouraged the development of the body's Qi, and knowledge of this force has been extremely useful in the propagation of Chinese medicine (the concept of acupuncture is based on the manipulation of the energy channels found in the human body, and has been practiced for over four thousand years in China).

When properly cultivated (for example, through traditional martial arts training), a smooth flow of Qi contributes immensely to the health and well-being of the practitioner. Western science has only recently acknowledged the existence of this force, and it has been measured in terms of electrical output from individuals tested.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  12. Gajah Silat

:D Some interesting opinions based on er...opinion :D

I train in Jak's family style of Silat which is certainly authentic.

Anyway, I'll PM you the email details of one of the instructors at the gym.

Just a question?? Why not try some authentic Malay MAs whilst in KL? When in Rome an' all that :confused:

13. The Phenom

The Phenom New Member

Gajah Silat,

Lol, I feel fine now, G.Silat. Thank you very much for the contact, and I am very happy for you with the Silat. And I am confused with your question, Malay MAS? What does MAS stand for? Martial art Silat? Which type of Silat are you training? I really do not know much about Silat. If you can tell me anything about it, it would be great too.

And I am originally from KL actually. ;)

14. Gajah Silat

Hi Phenom,

Silat is a kind of blanket term for the traditional Martial Arts (MAs) of the Malay peoples of Malaysia, Indonesia, Southern Filippines, Brunei & Southern Thailand.

It is traditionally handed down through generations and was very secret & 'closed door'. However, now it is much more accesible for non-Malays.

There are hundreds of styles each with its own 'flavour', but most styles have striking, locking, throwing and grappling. There is usualy weapons training too. The knife is very prominent in this.

Jak's style was passed to him by his Aunt (Mak Guru) and originates in Java, Indonesia. It has a strong emphasis on pukulan (Hitting) and Kuncian (locking). It is called Harimau Berantai (chained tiger).

We use fist, hand, forearm, elbow, knees, shin, feet & even head to strike with.

It's not very fancy looking but is very effective. It is a combat rather than a sports art.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006