Martial Art choice advice..

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by kano junior, Mar 31, 2008.

1. kano junior

kano junior Uchi-Monster!!

Hey guys,

I am moving away to Southampton Uni in September to study physics and have of course been checking out the martial arts offered by the student union. I have studied both aikido and judo but i wouldnt mind trying out a new art. I would really like something that involves striking and sparring as i havent done much of that in the past but i am not sure what would be best to try as i have limited knowledge of the other martial arts offered. There seems to be a large selection! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Here is the website http://sport.susu.org/?p=16&type=13 .

2. Big Ash

Big Ash Bruised but never broken!

I would take a look at the 'Shorinji Kempo', it has the striking elements your looking for as well as grappling and throwing - which would suit your Judo background. it doesn't state whether or not they do sparring but it's worth a look.

Ash

3. nunchucks2000

nunchucks2000 New Member

it depends on what is offered in the area, but assuming you could do any art, there are plenty of choices.... just about any types of karate or kung fu would have good striking... boxing is good for striking if you're not worried about using you feet.... i prefer kung fu and as a progression of that, jeet kune do if you can find a qualified instructor in it.... my advice is to do a background check on anyone claiming to teach it before you start in their class though. there are a lot of pretenders out there.

4. Unsung Hero

Unsung Hero That Isshin Ryu guy

Agreed with everything nunchucks2000 said, except I'm personally more fond of karate myself :)

Anyway, look for whats offered, and try it out. If you don't like it, keep looking for more.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I believe Southampton University karate club is shoto-kai, so no kumite or competitions. I know a couple of people who've trained there and really liked it though.