making a club website

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Saz, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I'd like to make a website for our club, we don't have one at the moment and i think it would be a good way of promoting our club.

Does any one have any tips for making it and bringing it up wth my sensei? :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I'm sure a couple of mad Scotsman will be able to help you - I'll prompt them tomorrow for you ;)

Melanie

3. waya

waya Valued Member

First question is do you have any basic html knowledge? Or if so have you done DHTML, javascript, or CSS? lol Just getting a feeler for where you are at. I am currently relocating the site for the school I am training at since the name has changed.

Rob

4. Ghostsuit

Ghostsuit Designer

Yeah wayas on the right track here first off is, what do you know of making websites and what exactly are you trying to do?

As for making a site...

The main thing is plan exactly what you intend to do first and what you want to achieve with the site, ie do you want new members or want a place for current members to stay in touch etc.

Plan the layout of the site (here’s my best tip) make it easy to navigate, in general a simple site is nearly always better than a flashy complex one..

Another one don’t add things just cause you can for example Flash and Java script applets no point in using them if you don’t need them.

(PLUG) if you need a forum and don’t want to create your own we can set up one for you in the hosted forums section :)

Decide if your going to pay for hosting or use a free service and if you want a domain name.

As for asking sensie I'd say just ask to see if he wants one.

Anyway we need to know your skill level first so I can give you more advice.

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I'm not bad at web design. I know HTML up to about intermediate level. I'll probably use dreamweaver to design it though as its a bit more profesional than my notepad efforts. I've helped make a few sites, but nothing really major.

The club would be a place to try and attract new members, and also to give other clubs in the BKK something to look at about our club. A place for current members to catch up isn't really nessacary as we all live in the same village and see each other a fair bit.

6. waya

waya Valued Member

I would probably advise learning DHTML and Javascript if the site is going to be large. You might also want to look into CSS, depending on the content of the site.

Rob

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

My web design knowledge isn't bad... intermediate i'd say. I know HTML reasonably well, but not Javascript or CSS.

8. waya

waya Valued Member

Javascript, CSS, and DHTML can help alot with organizing a site. That's where you get the selection box menus, submenu systems, etc from. I know of a few good online tutorials as well.
    If the site is not a large one, you don't tend to need those though.
    Rob

9. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Hey K-Girl,
    I agree about planning the site first.
    Keep the initial design fairly simple though.
    My very simple site www.laugar.org.uk was written entirely in plain html.
    I decided that for a basic info site, things like flash etc just slow it down too much.
    Also if you are going to incorporate a hit counter, be careful. The one i use "beseen" loads really slow and it bugs me badly.

Hint if you can use or get Linux OS, (coz i'm a geek) then you will get "the GIMP" free. This is an amazing Graphical image manipulation program, and is what I use for all the gif's etc.

Good luck.
    TC...............

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Waya, I doubt that the site will be very large (we've got about 30 members max), but if you could give me the links for those tutorials anyway that would be great. I've been meaning to learn javascript for a while, but i can't seem to get my head round it, so a good tutorial would be useful :)

TC.. i should be able to get my hands on Linux, being that my boyf is also a Linux geek :rolleyes: Whats the program like? Is it complicated or simple to use?

Sorry about the double post by the way.. I've been having trouble with this stoopid computer :(

11. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

Why dont you try out geocities at yahoo its free and you need no knowledge at all (mind you they are not great but its a start)

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

thanks joseki, but i don't think much of geocities... its those flaming adverts! I used www.netfirms.com in the end

I've got the site done now, but i'm waiting for word from my sensei before I promote it a bit :)

13. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Great, cant wait to see it...

14. gojutejutsuryu

gojutejutsuryu New Member

Kyokushin_girl.
    Try www.msn.groups.com (they give out free web-site with NO ADVERTISING)
    Its pretty cool to start off with and you dont need html.

STAY FOREVER YOUNG.

gojutejutsuryu
    (South Africa)

15. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

I build websites. I can build you a simple attractive web site, and best of all I take all sorts of forms of payment . . . not just money. If you are interested just send me an email and I can show you some of the sites I've done. :D

16. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Well, Its more or less finished now. I've more or less redesigned it twice, and now I'm kinda happy with it. You can see it here http://www.kyokushinkai.netfirms.com or www.caerphillykarate.tk

I'm waiting for the domain name to come through and my sensei to write some stuff up, and then it will be finished :) I'd welcome any views you have on it, postive or negative. Feel free to sign the guestbook too, I've had problems with that and I think its OK now

Sarah

17. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

looks simple n easy to load. needs some finishing touch tho...
    i was making a site for our organisation(which havn't completed)
    u can check out n see if u get more ideas ...

http://tkd-india.tripod.com

n yea i hav written it in pure HTML.
    -TkdWarior-

18. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Nice site. I think that once there is more content on there it will turn out great. I had no problems on there. Great job.

19. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Just got around to viewing your Website. Nice job!! Oh, signed your guest book too!!