Maintaining my childrens interest

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by stubbyd, Nov 3, 2010.

1. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

We - as in myself along with my 10 and 8yr olds have been doing Tang Soo Do now for approx 14 months.

End of this month we are all grading for our Green belt (6th Gup) and I think we've done really well all things considered. But my children are rapidly losing interest in going further and I want to try and stop that without any heavy guilt thing regards the cost of them getting this far and dropping it now, etc..

I admit that some of this is almost certainly my fault in that we can't attend training twice a week (I work shifts) so don't appear to be progressing as fast as others. The reality is that we have only missed one grading - and that was because my children weren't ready (so ma'm wouldn't put them in) and I was away anyway. Ultimately the children were happy that I hadn't progressed beyond them ;)

So any suggestions for a 10yr old girl and 8yr old boy to help maintain their enthusiasm? Our Ma'm is very good with the children and I will talk to her as well to see what ideas she has but keen to hear from others that have been through this already.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

how long have you been at your current belt? learning new material for the new one will probably help a lot (plus the sheer novelty of the new belt and the ego boost of being one rank higher should make them happy).

do you ever help them train at home? or take them to meet their friends from the dojang? both of those things might help them equate the MA practice with bonding activities until they get to the point where they do it just because they enjoy the training itself.

3. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Last grading was end of July and I appreciate that summer hols have probably had a lot to answer for - I have tried to point out that new and tougher grades bring lots more we have to learn.

However, my smarty pants daughter pointed out that even the black belts are still doing basic forms. I retorted that it wasn't all the time... still her point was valid and I was stumped for a 'decent' reply to a valid point other than it's part and parcel of doign a martial art.

Yes to training at home - we have a DVD of the big boss doing everything we need to know through to red belt so I get them to review that with me from time to time.

As to meeting the children - most of them they know in school anyway but the class does a lot of social activities. For example, in 2wks we';re bag packing at Tesco's in our doboks!

I have tried to link it to other things they do. So in my daughters case linking it to her ballet and the cross-benefits and with my son to his passion for rugby (good welsh lad that he is) and the explosive strength, etc benefits it brings.

But, I will try and find some activities that augment the TSD training but re-inforce it somehow.....!

4. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I'm wondering if maybe like many children (and adults) they have gotten bored from endless repititions of the same forms and joint locks. If your training at home it may be worth looking at ways that you can liven up your home training, by mixing it in a form of "play".

Musical (forms) statues.

"Kick the thingy" (as you toss -some random and soft- objects towards them through the air. They have to take turns kicking the object before it touches them or the floor (First one to ten "hits" wins some grapes).

"Block the styrofoam bat that came with the new TV". - Nice simple blocking drill

Learning forms for the sake of learning forms is boring, and the kids will need motivation to train. They might enjoy training Forms with your teacher if they knew that they would get a chance to show it off with/to you in a fun way later that week.

Heck, you could try having your kids put on their own martial arts demostration for you. Task them with picking their favourite forms and techniques then displaying them to you at a mini stage that you have set up with some blankets and pillows.

I remember as a kid I LOVED impressing my parents with what I learned, regardless of how bored they were with me, you have a great advantage in that you enjoy martial arts as well, so take advantage of that.

-----
    Could be also worth cross-training. Exposing them maybe for just a session or two* to a tottaly different style/school every now and again would not only work wonders for their knowledge as martial artists. But it would also remind them of all the exciting places and people they can meet while they are involved in martial arts.

*Most teachers should be fine with you dabbling; if you speak to them first and alert them to the fact that you may be attending only once a month or so.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I still do this :eek:

6. danny4114

danny4114 Valued Member

Hello sir!
    I don't check the posts here very often, mainly just lurking and reading the threads :D
    I'm enjoying uni at the moment and will definetly be back for the competition next year :)

My advice would be to talk to ma'am as she is a fountain of knowledge on these things ^^. Also maybe you could try going to the garw classes? Maybe llanharan aswell? There seems to be classes most days of the week now, although i'm not sure if thats included in the monthly fee.

Tang soo!!

7. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Nice - will see what I can do with these suggestions.

Being children that aren't allowed to spend all day watching TV or playing computer games they are quite good at entertaining themselves and dreaming up "make believe scenes" - so perhaps I can try incoporate your suggestions into that as well.

Let them 'show off' as you say especially as mum and big brother don't see them very often. Hmmmm...

Not so sure about other forms just yet as they are already busy most nights withother things anyway from ballet to rugby to after school clubs to music practice, etc .."

8. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Oh I will be talking to ma'm, have no fear on that part.

The fee certainly includes garw and I do go there especially if it's the only one I can get to that week. The children usually stick with the Wednesday night unless my wife is elsewhere for something then they come with me.

Still shifts and other events make it hard to juggle.

Tang soo indeed sir.

9. anjade

anjade Valued Member

My children (also 10 and 8 years old) and I do TKD and they also get bored with the training, especially line work. I have a kick shield at home that they love to have a go at and also hitting focus pads is a favourite of theirs.

Recently we've been trying to jump over things (trying to practise a flying side kick) and they have really enjoyed that and the fact that they are so much better at it than I am. Move the furniture out of the way first! :)

Anja

10. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Yeah, feel free to use your imagination, if you've got access to a camera, you could help them coreograph and star in a homemade MA film.

Train outdoors, in the woods, at the beach, on the patio, in that field behind the house, a change of scenery could help keep things fresh.

Bit of creativity and I'm sure you can come up with plenty of interesting ways to practise your techniques and help the kids at the same time.

With the cross training, it's not essential by any means, but it doesn't need to be a major part of the routine, just whenever you can be bothered to fit it in.

Happy training! :)

11. 23197

23197 Valued Member

Ahn Yan Shimnika fellow TSD practitioner. At our dojang we have parents facing similar circumstances. Having read the prior responses there are some valid points and pretty solid advice relevant to keeping your kiddies interested. As the parent, you know your children and what really spikes their interest. I like the idea of their 'impressing' you with their progress and since they seem to like the fact you have not passed them in rank it sounds like they continue to be interested in training. Also I concur with danny4114 where he says you should consult ma'am for advice. usually teacher knows best.

12. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Whilst I don't know exactly what a kick shield is I can imagine and that certainly sounds like somethign we could all use to improve on.

One major area we need to improve is our Korean!

13. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Oh I like this - especially as at school they've just done movie making in computer club and whilst they couldn't make that one I can see this peaking their interest.

Plus I have the computer skills as that's what I do!

Again some excellent ideas - we also like geocaching as a family so perhaps I could somehow mix the training with hunting for caches ... mmmm!

Interestingly enough Ma'm tonight was talking about the annual trip to America to compete and even though at 6pm tonight my daughter didn't want to go training she turned to me and asked if we were going to Boston! So some of her talk is still thinking longer term at least.

14. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Indeed and was a prime reason I mentioned it so that folks didn't think I'm trying to be super Dad (of course I am ... but...) and danny4114's Ma'm and my Ma'm are one and the same - just he's been there much longer.

Let me just say this is all good stuff folks and I appreciate any and all responses - but don't let them stop there as we all need help. I find once I've been given the germ of an idea I can run with it but am not always initially creative.

Tang Soo everyone.

15. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Some questions to think on maybe... do your kids ever spar, or just grapple with one another?

Reckon you could select a bunch of low risk sweeps and locks etc that they could practise wrestling with?

Do you have disposable income to spend on a kicking shield or maybe even kids body/head gaurds?
    -----

Geez Man, I'm 20 and this thread ALREADY has me looking forward to having kids, so I can spend time doing stuff like this with them. :p

I am hugely envious of you right now! :D

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  16. 23197

23197 Valued Member

I can verify training with your kids is awesome. My son (24) trains TSD with us now and previously trained MMA. Talk about keeping the old man on his game. I like the ground stuff he has taught me & while I will not teach him beyond his level inadvertantly he picks up techniques (extremely fast and attentive learner). My SBN's two sons train at our dojang (3rd & 2cnd dans) & he enjoys training with his sons as well. Not to leave the girls behind, my baby is 14 and does not formally train TSD (she prefers dancing) but between her brother & I she learns at home. :fight2: