Macho men...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Lily, Jun 22, 2006.

1. NorCalNerd

NorCalNerd New Member

That's quite odd Lily. I've never had that problem at my dojo, although most of us are guys we do infact have a wide range of ages though. I noticed no one really takes it too far with finishing moves (unless it's our head sensei, but that's just plain fun lol!). Once you hear those hands or feet give the mats a good love tap we move on. :)

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Score one for William James. :)

(Early psychologist who pimped the value of introspection.)

Seriously, I'm glad to hear it Lily. Thanks!

Stuart

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I am and suggest that you be the best that you can be that is the best that anyone can be male or female!!

Koyo

4. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Ap Oweyn - thanks! Something's clicked at class and I've noticed a difference in my approach, my commitment and I have more clarity (strange but good). You should consider becoming an MA therapist/counsellor :)

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Thanks Lily!

I've actually just finished (in late May) my graduate studies for counseling. And, obviously, I'm already into martial arts. So like you suggest, I've actually been considering how best to combine those two things. I'll be a stay-at-home dad for about the next year. During that time, I'll be trying to figure out what kind of counseling I want to do. And, by extension, whether there will be any crossover with what I do in martial arts.

:)

Already though, I think it's helped with my ideas on teaching and training.

Stuart

6. tkdmusclerock

tkdmusclerock New Member

Pain/injury/suffering

The important thing is to know the difference between pain and injury. Learning what your body can and can't tolerate is part of your individual learning curve.

My rule of thumb: discontinue any activity which makes you cry or lose bowel control. If you hear a sound like Velcro being pulled apart, you're stretching too hard. If your leg bends between your ankle and knee, take a couple days off. If your opponent slips and falls in your blood, call for a time-out.