Lyoto Machida

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Palace_denizen, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It was a bit tongue in cheek to be honest.
    Injuries come with the territory. If you do a martial art without getting injured (small niggly, non serious ones) then you can pretty much guarantee that your training isn't hard enough and won't serve you well if the excrement hits the air-con.
    I don't expect people to get broken limbs but if you train with any intent at all you'll end up with bruises, sore joints, strains, bloody noses and such like.

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Fair play to ya then. I should have picked it up but I hear too many people saying that seriously!

3. Palace_denizen

Palace_denizen Valued Member

15 years training . fairly lucky. only a fractured neck, 3 ribs kicked an inch into my chest cavity, a fractured lower-back, multiple stitches in my head. broken toes, fingers, bumps all along the front of my shinbone, broken collarbone, more black eyes than i can remember.
    fairly lucky really. the lessons of training has made me much more cowardly now than before...not sure if that is good or bad. proud to say that i have never really seriously hurt a training partner. but i have sent a few bullies packing

you people got any scary injury stories ?

4. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Erm, luckyish I guess, some of those sound pretty serious... Still spread out over fifteen years could be worse I guess:cool:

I've also been pretty lucky, over 7 years I've broken a toe (Judo) and my collarbone (Judo). Tore the cartlidge in my left knee(MMA) and sprained my right one(grappling competition). Also sprained my right ankle twice(Judo the first time, and the same grappling competition the second time!) and two fingers(Judo).

I think its hard to say if MMA or 'traditional' MAs create the worse injuries. My first instructor had had a knee replacment and multiple operations on his other knee from throwing too many kicks to mid-air in TKD (his analysis).

My current combatives instructor has arthritus in his right hand from years of breaking boards and bricks, again his assessment.

Personally I've done various different styles at one time or another and I think injuries can occur with any of them. The one I'd pick out as being the most likely to cause an injury would probably be Judo. Simply because of the number of times you get thrown hard onto the mats. I love Judo but its very tough on the body, more so than MMA I think.