Lots of questions !

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by NewbieBoxer, Apr 28, 2004.

1. NewbieBoxer

NewbieBoxer New Member

Hi , i recently bought a 40 pound heavy bag(Everlast) made of leather and i started training on it with a very thin glove, ive seen some clips of boxers and had some advice through the internet, anyone can tell me any tips on how to pack more power into the punch ? the stances that you need to have ? what's a great way to build up more muscles in the arm ? Do you always aim for the chin in a boxing match ? How do i use the heavy bag most effectively... thanks for your answers !!! Also , how do you do a straight cross from the right hand(my lead hand) ? i always end up with my fist hitting the bag halfway through , makeing my elbows sort of a "L" shape and it hurts my wrist whenever i do that.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Where are you based? You'd learn more in 1 hour down at your local boxing gym than we can tell you by text in a year!

3. THEGREAT1

THEGREAT1 New Member

i'm not a boxer so i'll only answer one or 2 of those:p

no u don't always aim for the chin in a match

build muscle in the arm by doing weight training ...as a boxer you'll want to do explosive power weight training....

and i don't think you cross with a lead hand ...u jab,hook,uppercut with it... but i could be wrong there

4. THEGREAT1

THEGREAT1 New Member

and clearly yoda is correct, they can demonstrate and give supervised practice

5. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

YODA is correct.

There is a great thread on boxing tip on MAP.

To answear a few of your questions-

Dont worry about getting big muscular arms- punches in boxing use the entire body as opposed to "arm punching".
    One way to train for punching power is plyometric pushups (ie try fitting a clap in on the way up)

Body shots are great if they land but this usually invloves being on the "inside" (ie being so close to your opponent your can smell his breath) which is a dangerous place for most fighters to be. I like body shots, there are very few more satisfying things that seeing your opponent double over and struggle to breathe.

I would advise wrapping your hands and wrists- this may help with the wrist prob.

Most importantly- make sure you get down a gym and speak to as many experienced booxers as possible.

6. semphoon

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

And get some bigger gloves. 10oz at least.

8. NewbieBoxer

NewbieBoxer New Member

Thanks guys .. that helped alot ! Any great tips on training with a heavy bag effectively... ? Heh.. for boxers out there , how does a medium/hard hit in the head feel like ? Does it make you lose control of yourself or anything ? Also , is building up too much muscle on your arms good ? I feel sort of numbness in my arms when another guy punches at my muscles... thanks for your reply !! :D :D

9. saikyou

saikyou New Member

you'll get used to being hammered. some guys even develop "granite chins". :D tape your hands and wear bigger gloves. you also must work your abs. they give you more power in your punches. good luck!

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

11. semphoon

At the start, hits feel sore. As you train more hits turn into "he just hit me with that hand so if Im quick then I can counter before he can get his hand back in guard position." And you learn to read your opponents slips and footwork which also helps to anticipate where you can actually hit your opponent.

At the start, there is a lot of shock associated with being hit. This is not a good thing as I means that you fail to function for a few seconds (which is what you mean when you ask "do you lose control of yourself"). As time goes on you can still feel the hit. But then again no one ever boxed with the without the expectation of getting hit and, if they did, they probably changed their opinion after their first training session. :p See my answer to the first question for more explanation.

As for getting punched on the arm....LMAO; consider yourself lucky that you're not getting punched on the chin/nose. :D Your arms/shoulders are your body's natural armour; In fact there are moves called "salutes" where you intentionally parry your opponents punch with your arm/shoulder to absorb the shot.

Regarding muscles, what I would say is that your shoulders are important muscles as they are the muscles that will be holding your arms up to maintain your guard. If you have muscular biceps/triceps, there is even more weight for your shoulders to hold up.

Feel free to ask anymore questions that you have. :)

12. NewbieBoxer

NewbieBoxer New Member

Oh ok thanks , how do i train the muscles in my shoulders ? Any good suggestions for doing home workouts(E.g : Push ups , sqauts , etc) ? Hehe , and does anyone know why Mike Tyson is so powerful in boxing history.. i heard that his punches are very strong/hard and that he keeps attacking the same spot of an opponent , is that true... ?

13. semphoon

I think one of the most important issues about being a boxer is conditioning the abs so I do the following (this is just me but should give you an idea)

You should always include back strengthening excercises to complement you ab work.

Every morning (well, 6days a week) I do
    30 sec crunches,
    30 sec full cruches (knees and elbows meet in the middle)
    30 sec oblique,
    30 sec other oblique,
    30 sec pike (touch toes) crunches,
    30 sec leg raises,
    (FLIP OVER- face down)
    30 sec back extension (top half off floor)
    30 sec leg raises (bottom half lifted off floor)
    30 sec press-ups.

4 min 30 sec in total. I do that circut three times in the morning.

This is me, and I do some excercises that other wouldnt but hey....WHATEVER GIRLFRIEND!!! :woo:

For shoulders specifically, try shoulder presses, dumbell raises to the side and front. And when you do push ups try to keep your elbows tucked in so to put more work on the triceps.

see this thread for disscusion -
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12379&highlight=abs

Tyson is an animal and has been since a very young age. :eek:

14. bigd

bigd New Member

ill give you some tips(BODY POWER)quick twitch at the wait,use the center of your body,use whole body for power,also raise rear heel for power,(IT TRANSFERS THE BODY WEIGHT,FROM ONE SIDE TO THE OTHER)never clinch fist to the point of impact,be relaxed and concentrate on your target,gather strength until all your muscles come in to play.the secret to power is timing(pointers)-hitting like a snap of a whip,in real hitting the feet is always undser the body,keep straight line of lead side of body on hitting.always have legs slightly bent so your like a spring when you come up.
    here are some good combanations.(right jab/left cross"one,two") (right jab/ right uppercut) (right jab/left cross/right hook) (right jab/right hook) (right jab/ right uppercut /right hook) (right jab /body hook) (left body thrust/right body hook) (left body thrust/right hook)work on non committment to ditrtact the opponent.

hoped i helped have fun.

15. semphoon

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

aren't these the questions you should ask your teacher/ trainer down at the boxing gym?

17. NewbieBoxer

NewbieBoxer New Member

heh , i havent been to a boxing gym yet , but i will =D ...

18. saikyou

saikyou New Member

yup! go for it kid. good luck. :D

19. shootodog

shootodog restless native

good luck!

i leave you with the best advise given to me before a tournament:

"rule # 1: hit your opponent. rule # 2: don't let him hit you"

20. saikyou

saikyou New Member

also, remember this:

It's better to give than to recieve. :D