looking for targets

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by fester, Jan 19, 2005.

1. fester

fester New Member

hello again

got myself a katana
    now looking for targets
    what do you use?
    somebody mentioned filled up waterbottles, paper, anything else?
    tnx for the sugestions
    regards fester

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I've heard about katanafolk using wet bamboo-mats, but I guess that's pretty expensive... The main thing is to be consistant, use the same target a lot. That gives you a standard to meassure against. (You should of course attack other targets on occation just to feel the difference, but then I'd recommend real flesh (a big chunk from the butcheries, etc) and avoid any hard objects like wood or bone. The one you bought the sword from and Hollywood might tell you that it's suppose to cut MG-pipes, but that doesn't help you much when you stand there with a beant/broken katana. (I have a friend that's a blacksmith and who used to be a Katakacollector, and he's on several occations been approached by people with broken/beant Katanas :cry: )

The reasons for using waterbottles (of cardboard/plastic) is that it's cheap, it provides you with 3 levels of accurasy (total beep-up = it isn't cut at all and now lies bent 5 meters from the base, beep-up = it was cut, but the bottom piece fell of the base and success = it was cut and the bottom piece is stil on the base with water in it waiting for a reverse-cut (oh, I forgot; the katana ONLY have ONE edge :p )

Profanity removed. Please do not swear, even if it is censored - Gaskell

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2005
  3. fester

fester New Member

you fill the the whole bottle?
    then my matras in my dojang is ruined:)
    how about a roled up newspaper on a pole could that do the trick?

4. ninjas-r-us

ninjas-r-us I sit under your tea

FRUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wattermellon, tomatpoes for accuracy

5. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

You DO know that's the best way to screw up your blade, don't you?

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

what's wrong with traditional bamboo targets?

7. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

bamboo is hard and will stratch a blades finish. I dunno nothing really aside from the fact that for some people cant get it easily and plactic and carboard jugs are easier to get.
    I think several sheets of newpaper rolled up would probably be good targets. they might eve be better if they were wetted down like really cheap tatami. And speaking of which you can find cheap grass, i think, mats and roll them and soak them for targets.

I never thought of using tomatoes but I like the idea. Red stuff everywhere :D

8. shootodog

i understand. but that's what the traditional target that we worked on.

9. Stolenbjorn

My mother allways had a pair of scissors that were banned for us kids to use on paper. It's because celluloce-fibers blunts edges. That's why I personally don't use rolled up newspapers allthough rolled up newspapers probably is closer to "the real thing" than plasticbottles.

This advise don't count for those of uou that use magical and supernatural KATANAS that can cut anything without ever becomming blunt, beant of broken no matter what they cut :rolleyes:

10. shootodog

that's so true. you have to care for the weapon too. use lots of good cleaning paper and a honing pebble.

11. OneArmedBandit

OneArmedBandit Types with one hand...

Hmm....I suggest you use your awesome cutting power to assault any and all watermelons that may cross your path

12. fester

fester New Member

Well ofcourse has the bamboo target that extra touchs but where can I buy such a thing

13. shootodog

buy? we used to make ours. what's the use of buying something that you'll be destroying in a few short minutes?

14. fester

fester New Member

Well there isn't much bamboo to find in Belgium:)

15. shootodog

ah. i see. what kind of cheap wood is available?

16. Stolenbjorn

Ah, wood and cutting... Be careful! I cut ash, and I ended up with a bent sword! (It's fun to be able to cut ash, but not when you ruin a $400 sword every 20 cut... And this goes for katanas as well. Despite what others might post or what you beieve; I know for a fact (I've seen plenty) that either bend or break when exposed to severe stress like cutting ash/oak, etc)

Soft wood: In northern europe, wood tend to be rather hard, as the climate makes things grow slowly, and thus have much more compact structure than in areas closer to equator. i acrually don't know about any kind of wood that I'd expose my sword to (Unless we're talking sticklings less than 1cm thick). -But then, I'd much rather go for the ever present plastic bottles filled with water on a pole, as it's easier to reproduce the exact situation svereal times so it's easier to compare and monitor progress.

17. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Fester, before you start hacking away, your Katana is good quality isnt it?
    Carbon steel, full tang etc... :confused:

18. fester

fester New Member

well again I have to go to the store, so paper is for me the best solution i think
    where do you live then where is that place where bamboo shoots out of the ground for nothing:)

19. fester

fester New Member

no man my katana is one of the cheapest kind but that is why I bought it
    If I kill this one there is no problem, If I kill one of 2500 euro's I will cry:):):):)
    but thanx for the consern. And indeed no hard targets for me:) and at this point paper is good becouse I can see clearly the cut and where the flaws are:)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  20. Stolenbjorn

Just so you know it; if it is what I call a "wallhanger", it's definately somthing I'd chop ANYGHING BUT CARDBOARD\PLASTIC BOTTLES WITH! You've seen the infamous TV-shop, film, where the programhost bangs a wallhanger katana into the table, so it snaps and injures him....

My girlfriends brother managed to dent a wallhanger katana on a pencil, so if your sword is the cheapes one around, I'd settle with cutting high grass -tops. And allways make sure that you are alone\have placed friends away from where the sword might land if you slip the grip, the grip loosen, or the sword break. In most cases (if you strike from right shoulder to left leg) the best place to have spectators is at least 9 feet away to the rear and right for you.