Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by cuongnhugirl, Feb 4, 2013.

1. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

As some of you may know i follow Master Wongs Wing Chun videos, and i decided to check out his JKD out of curiousity. He says he has nothing to do with Bruce Lee or his teachings yet he quotes Bruce and cites him as the style creator. and this is the Master Wong system. So what im wondering is, should i watch the rest of his JKD vids to get a feel for it or should i not because its not the real JKD style?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you want JKD it is essentially worthless because what he does is not JKD

If you want it because you like his stuff then go for it.

I am not a fan and there is much better out there...but there is also much worse

3. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I personally wouldn't bother with Master Wong for anything other than comedy value but you should watch as much as you need to make up your own mind... as long as they are free it can't hurt.

4. cuongnhugirl

This is the video in question that i watched. [ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2CMgyThQmY"]JKD: JEET KUNE DO (EPS 1 Hand Work) Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

There's no harm in watching the rest of the videos. Many of us have drawn inspitration from Bruce and his ideas.

Even though I taught JKD while my instructor was absent through illness I never actually qualified as an instructor.

That hasn't stopped me being very heavily influenced by JKD now I teach my own system.

I wouldn't worry about the term JKD. If you like Wong's technique, then that's all that matters.

Too many people get caught up in names and styles.

One thing I've come to understand is that there is just training. If it's good it's good and that's all that matters.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  6. MWAW

MWAW Valued Member

The problem with that Simon is that many martial arts instructors rely on the fact that most potential students don't know what "good" looks like, so they can then waste their time and take their money by teaching them utter horse manure that they made up in their back garden in Ipswich. I don't think that's "good" for anyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  7. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

The best way to fine out if you like training with someone and their information, is by experiencing it first hand... Like someone said before at MP, you're just going to get other peoples opinion/experience and not your own... Take charge of your own learning... Something to think about as I always say...

8. cuongnhugirl

From what i have seen so far. Master Wongs JKD hand work is based on Wing Chun principles and the grappling i've seen so far comes from Judo. He has demonstrated leg grabs, straight arm lock, shoulder throw, all Judo.
    The kicking is a mix. When he demonstrates leg kicks, he demonstrates a Muay Thai shin kick along with traditional Wing Chun kicks. I need to watch more before i get a real grasp of his system.

9. Hannibal

Take this opinion for what its worth and what you paid for it, but aside from the fact you cannot really learn any style from a video there are any number of better video series out there by much better practitioners

If you are genuinely interested then look at anything on youtube by Dan Inosanto - you cannot go wrong with his material.

10. cuongnhugirl

I'm not trying to learn JKD from the videos, im just trying to get a feel for the system.

11. Hannibal

It isn't up to par IMO

12. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

As Hannibal said, you can't go wrong with Dan Inosanto, and there's plenty of stuff on You Tube that you can view for free.

13. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Master Wong is so Wrong.

How can anyone dare to cite BL, and yet try to disassociate from him at the same time?

14. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Oh, that's not hard. It's just hypocrisy and name-dropping.

15. JKDJoe

JKDJoe Valued Member

As others have stated, I love to watch Master Wong videos, they make me laugh!

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

They make me cry

17. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Same here, in my eyes he can do no Wong. :D

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  18. cuongnhugirl

Wouldn't it be cool if Master Wong were a member of MAP.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

What would you hope to see from him?

20. cuongnhugirl

His posts in the Kung Fu section. And we could all bombard him with questions. Who better to learn from than a master.